The T and Large Events

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: The T and Large Events

Postby benboston » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:24 am

I think that the 10-minute frequencies in the Netherlands actually does apply here. We should strive for such frequencies on some routes, and on other routes, we should strive to achieve those frequencies for part of the route, for example, 10-minute frequencies to Littleton/Rte 495 on the Fitchburg Line. Also, 10-minute frequencies on the Worcester Line all the way to Worcester. Worcester is growing fast, and it is expected to reach a population of 200,000 for the first time since 1950 again. This means that it should see train service that reflects such growth. Possibly a downtown streetcar service as well.
benboston

Postby Lentinula » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:13 am

benboston wrote: Possibly a downtown streetcar service as well.

i support this line of thinking because last-mile transit in Worcester is abysmal. The poor RTA is just sort of a barely functional, flailing mass of missed opportunities.
Lentinula

Postby CRail » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:07 pm

MOD NOTE: I’m very much in favor of discussing RTA rail concepts here but not in this thread. If a discussion inspires a new idea please feel free to start a new topic.
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby Disney Guy » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:41 am

I wasn't there mid-day (Sun. March 17) but the appearance of the Riverside parking lot ca 6 PM suggested to me that the lot was not full for the St, Paddy's parade.

Parade attendance was estimated at a million.

(If the lot had been filled, there would still have been scattered cars throughout come 6 PM whereas actually the outer reaches had large unfilled areas.)
(To the theater stage manager) Quit twiddling the knob and flickering the lights while the audience is entering and being seated. (To the subway motorman) Quit twiddling the knob and dinging the doors while passengers are getting off and others are waiting to board.
Disney Guy

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)