The T and Large Events

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: The T and Large Events

Postby Arborwayfan » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:04 pm

Witness the suspension of fare collection on the evenings of Dec. 31 and July 4.

I thought the T went free on those two days because they are the drunkest days of the year, and they wanted to prevent drunk driving.
Arborwayfan

Postby Trinnau » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:05 am

RenegadeMonster wrote:It was included towards the bottom of this press release

http://mbta.com/about_the_mbta/news_eve ... nth=&year=

There is a link in the press release to https://www.mbtasailboston.com which has further information. Looks like only extra service on Saturday/Sunday, and there is a link to specific scheduled trains.

https://www.mbtasailboston.com wrote:Extra Commuter Rail Service

June 17th - June 18th: The following Commuter Rail lines will be running additional trains during the morning and evening hours:

Fitchburg Line*
Framingham/Worcester Line*
Franklin Line
Haverhill Line*
Lowell Line
Middleborough/Lakeville Line*
Newburyport/Rockport Line
Providence/Stoughton Line

*Additional service on these trains will only be available on Saturday, June 17th.

View Sail Boston additional train schedule
Trinnau

Postby RenegadeMonster » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:00 pm

MBTA Running Special Soccer Train for AS Roma vs. Juventus F.C. ICC Match at Gillette Stadium on July 30

BOSTON – The MBTA has announced that it is providing special train service to the AS Roma vs. Juventus F.C. International Champions Cup (ICC) match at Gillette Stadium on Sunday, July 30, 2017.

The special soccer train is scheduled to depart South Station toward Gillette Stadium at 2:00 p.m. and will make additional stops at Back Bay at 2:05 p.m. and Dedham Corporate at 2:20 p.m. The train will depart from Gillette Stadium thirty minutes after the conclusion of the match.

Roundtrip fare is $20 and tickets can be purchased in advance at the Keolis ticket office at South Station, North Station, and Back Bay Station. Tickets are also available via the mTicket app. For customers boarding at Dedham Corporate, tickets are available for purchase on board the day-of from conductors. Customers are encouraged to purchase tickets in advance as there are a limited number of tickets available.

For more information, please visit the Trains to Gillette page.

The MBTA has added a special train run for this Soccer game.
RenegadeMonster

Postby Rbts Stn » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:30 pm

Interesting.

They haven't done them for concerts at Gillette in a few years. I'd have suspected rowdyness was the reason, but doing a train for soccer . . .
Rbts Stn

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:45 pm

I will be at the game, however not taking the train.

I think there was a train for last years Brazil vs Peru game as well. I remember leaving the parking lot and watching people walking to the train.
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby BandA » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:36 pm

Do they sell out the stadium for soccer like they do for real football? I imagine there is a huge interest in soccer amongst the immigrant communities, and that they are more concentrated in urban areas convenient to public transportation, compared to the football ticket holders who are more scattered around.

I would think concerts would have harder to predict demand, and if they run later in the evening connections are harder to make.
BandA

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:55 am

There were only 30,000+ people at the Italy game this weekend. It was relatively small. Max capacity at Gillette I believe is 66,829. With that said, It looked like the ridership for the special train the T had should have been high. At the end of the game I walked over to take a look. It was a pretty large crowed getting on board.
Last edited by CRail on Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Do not use the quote button in lieu of the reply button.
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby Rbts Stn » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:48 am

BandA wrote:Do they sell out the stadium for soccer like they do for real football? I imagine there is a huge interest in soccer amongst the immigrant communities, and that they are more concentrated in urban areas convenient to public transportation, compared to the football ticket holders who are more scattered around.

I would think concerts would have harder to predict demand, and if they run later in the evening connections are harder to make.

Concert tix sell very quickly upon release so not too hard to predict total attendance, and I bet they have pretty good formulas on how many will want to take a train based on total folks present. They just haven't been doing them for concerts for the past many years.
Rbts Stn

Postby Rbts Stn » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:23 am

Looking forward to reports from today.

Hope all our friends are safe!
Rbts Stn

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)