The T and Large Events

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

Re: The T and Large Events

Postby Red Wing » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:16 am

With those crowds the overtime I would assume would have been covered by the fare. I bet it's more that Keolis or MBCR before them have no incentive to add trains or think outside of the box. Though not having enough equipment and short trains for everyday usage also adds to the problem. On the next contract if its farmed out (I hope not), there should be a clause for these high ridership events.
Red Wing

Postby dm1120 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:07 pm

Red Wing wrote:With those crowds the overtime I would assume would have been covered by the fare. I bet it's more that Keolis or MBCR before them have no incentive to add trains or think outside of the box. Though not having enough equipment and short trains for everyday usage also adds to the problem. On the next contract if its farmed out (I hope not), there should be a clause for these high ridership events.
It is widely reported that very little fare collection took place on Tuesday. I think your assessment is correct; Keolis gets paid the same no matter what so they have no incentive to do anything extra.
dm1120

Postby typesix » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:30 pm

typesix

Postby Red Wing » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:18 pm

Well after reading that article, it appears that they did all they could to add to service.
Red Wing

Postby Trinnau » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:42 pm

There is very little room in the rush hour on either side to add service. Most of the equipment is in use throughout, and the Northeast Corridor doesn't really have any excess slots departing south station with 5 different services departing down that line. Also, most of the sets are coming out of their servicing cycle timed to meet their scheduled departures. And the once a train has left, it takes a long time to get all the way back. It is also near impossible to run extra "short" trains out halfway and bring them back due to the huge mixed-destination crowds.

The morning works a little better, because with the parade starting at 11 some of the early trains that normally go in for service as rush hour winds down could be turned back around empty out of Boston to bring in more fans. And they can turn short behind scheduled trains that are filling after a few stops to pick up the slack - meaning they don't need to cover an entire line. For example a Worcester train that fills by Framingham but still is scheduled to make all the Newton and Wellesley stops can be backfilled by an extra out of Boston turning at Framingham behind it.

In talking to a few folks I know, the unofficial number of extra trains is 26 that carried passengers (plus the corresponding 26 non-revenue trains to re-position equipment) and they were 7 coaches over the required number for service, so some sets were bigger than normal. Most of the extras ran at the tail-end of the morning rush hour (8-10am) and just prior to the evening rush after the parade ended (2-4pm)
Trinnau

Postby Rbts Stn » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:12 am

*sigh*

There was a big event in town this past Saturday, the March for Science (more of a rally, in actuality). As this is important to my wife and me we decided to head down there to support the efforts. Hopped the D Line in Brookline (PACKED SOLID - had to get on at the rear, no chance to pay) and found out en route that they were bustituting from Fenway to Kenmore (and from St. Mary's to Kenmore on the C Line). Everybody off the train, up all those stairs (no idea what they did for disabled passengers) and onto waiting buses for a ride to Kenmore. Down the stairs (elevator option) to the station where an attendant was asking everyone if they were coming from the shuttle (and pointing us to an open gate) and directing the others to the fare gates. "3 minutes" until next train and the loading area was already packed before we got there. Knowing Kenmore station a bit we headed to the very front end of the station and were 2 of the very few who actually got on the train. "15 minutes" until the next train was going to be heading inbound.

We got to Boylston without issue, although we passed thru Hynes and Copley leaving everyone waiting for another train to take them to their destinations.

What should have been at worst 30 minutes (waiting for a train plus the ride to Boylston) took 75 minutes for us. I can easily see it being 120 minutes for those not knowing where exactly to stand.

We walked back to Kenmore after the rally and got home without much issue, although again, it helped to know where the trains usually stop at Fenway station as some folks couldn't get on because there were more of us waiting than there was room for on the empty train. The buses were totally not a problem, other than it taking a very long time to go down Brookline Avenue due to the Kenmore Square traffic light.

We did see bustitute signs on the ride home as we had time to look for them, not that we or anyone else could have gotten into town any better way for the rally.

How do we inform the T of upcoming major events in the city so maybe they are better prepared for crowds?
Rbts Stn

Postby CRail » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:18 pm

My expectation is that the switch replacement project (reason for the diversion) was planned well before the rally was. It was a rather unfortunate coincidence, for sure.
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby Disney Guy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:49 am

A question would be, why was Kenmore permitted to become so crowded? Namely why wasn't more service in general run from Blandford St. (Comm. Ave. portal) to Government Center with no holding of cars at Kenmore for schedule adjustments?

I have had to take substiture buses from time to time for parts of the Riverside Line and in each and every case I thought that more consists could have been added to both sides of the "bus bridge" to reduce the overall trip time let alone not leave people behind at one or more stations.
(To the theater stage manager) Quit twiddling the knob and flickering the lights while the audience is entering and being seated. (To the subway motorman) Quit twiddling the knob and dinging the doors while passengers are getting off and others are waiting to board.
Disney Guy

Postby djlong » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:55 am

Ouch.. We came in from New Hampshire - parked at Alewife and took the Red Line in (and out) with no problems.
djlong

Postby Rbts Stn » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:41 am

CRail wrote:My expectation is that the switch replacement project (reason for the diversion) was planned well before the rally was. It was a rather unfortunate coincidence, for sure.

I'm certain you are correct. That shouldn't stop them from doing what Disney Guy suggested, or maybe having some of the SO many shuttle buses just take folks right from St. Mary's or Fenway right to Boston Common (ok, Arlington or Boylston), as at least 75% of the crowds were going to there.
Rbts Stn

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)