I disagree with CRail regarding vandalism. Maybe my fire time is clouding my judgement but when you see smoke filling your space human nature is to get out. That may not be the smartest thing but it is the human thing. I've had people blow by me, with me dressed and humping hose, and go the wrong way into trouble. When I catch up with them, "Why did you go that way?", "it's the way I always leave the build." Just human nature not vandalism.
CRail wrote:If this were an isolated incident, I wouldn't feel this way. There have been multiple cases of people smashing out windows in various situations (including the Red Line runaway, WHILE THE TRAIN WAS MOVING). Also, this was a fire outside of the train, on the tracks, not in it. Why would you want to open an airway to where the fire is? Sure, you can smell it inside, buy you're breathing filtered air conditioned air. This is people turning into a violent mob and I firmly believe it's for the sake of being dramatic, not self preservation instinct.
BandA wrote:How much trash is on the tracks? Why doesn't the T remove it as part of their standard maintenance? Or is it the ties that caught on fire?
Clear emergency procedures should be posted inside the train.
That is an absurd statement. And the fact that it was capatilized it only emphasizes its absurdity. You wouldn't be making that statement if someone had died. (Did anyone need medical attention?) In an emergency, and this was an emergency, there are no rules.CRail wrote:... People should NEVER evacuate a train without being instructed to, and this bashing out windows nonsense needs to be called what it is, VANDALISM. ...
Yellowspoon wrote:Why are passengers unable to open the doors in an emergency? The driver in car one has no idea what conditions exist in cars 2 through 6. Patrons should be able to pull an emergency cord to stop the train and instructions for opening the door should be plainly visible. The inability to exit a car in an emergency is absurd.
Yellowspoon wrote:(Did anyone need medical attention?)
Though it's possible that trash was also ignited, a burning motor can produce plenty of nasty smoke on its own via its internal insulation. Although power would quickly be cut as you said, the smoldering would likely continue for some time.CRail wrote:Mind you, the smoke was not from the motor. When the motor blows it creates an arc, and arcing can light trash in the tracks.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests