2016 Commuter Rail Delay Discussion Thread

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: 2016 Commuter Rail Delay Discussion Thread

Postby dbperry » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:25 am

OK, that helps. Obviously the air hose is needed in all these scenarios, so forgetting about that, is this then correct:

1) If I had a trainset, and didn't intend to operate it in push-pull mode, I could just connect a COMM cable from the loco to the lead coach, and then a COMM cable between each coach? Or does the COMM cable not provide HEP to the coaches?

2) If I have a trainset and wanted to operate it in push-pull mode, I need a COMM cable AND an MU cable between the loco and the lead coach and both between each coach.

3) Whenever I need to tie two trainsets together, I need a COMM cable and an MU cable between the dead set and the rescue set? Or just an MU cable because I really am not worried about having intercom (and similar services) shared between the two trainsets?

Thanks, sorry to hijack the delay thread...
Known to Keolis and the MBTA as "Twitter Dave"
Frequently posting about the MBTA Framingham-Worcester line on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FramWorMBTA
Owner of Framingham-Worcester Blog: http://FramWorMBTA.weebly.com/
Maintainer of MBTA schedule archive: http://www.dbperry.net/MBTA/
User avatar
dbperry
 
Posts: 794
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:28 pm
Location: Suburbs of Boston

Re: 2016 Commuter Rail Delay Discussion Thread

Postby Komarovsky » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:02 am

Delays on the Worcester line this morning. 506 is delayed because of a mechanical and is stuck in the yard in Worcester with 508's set. No alerts on 508 at the moment but its already 5 min late for its own departure. I can see this being a good morning....

Edit 1: looks like 506 won't be originating in Worcester today.

Edit 2: 508 is mechanical'd in the Worcester yard now.

Edit 3: 512's set(1066 and 6 flats) is now running 508's schedule 25 min late. 506 is originating in Grafton today and 508's usual set is still dead in the Worcester yard.

Edit 4: 508 is actually cancelled, 512 is going to sweep up whatever 506 couldn't and hope for the best.
Komarovsky
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:11 pm

Re: 2016 Commuter Rail Delay Discussion Thread

Postby Diverging Route » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:42 am

And 352, the Anderson/Woburn short-turn is cancelled again. Third day in a row. It hasn't run yet in 2016!
User avatar
Diverging Route
 
Posts: 1560
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2004 3:35 pm

Re: 2016 Commuter Rail Delay Discussion Thread

Postby Type 7 3684 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:53 am

Komarovsky wrote:Delays on the Worcester line this morning. 506 is delayed because of a mechanical and is stuck in the yard in Worcester with 508's set. No alerts on 508 at the moment but its already 5 min late for its own departure. I can see this being a good morning....

Edit 1: looks like 506 won't be originating in Worcester today.

Edit 2: 508 is mechanical'd in the Worcester yard now.

Edit 3: 512's set(1066 and 6 flats) is now running 508's schedule 25 min late. 506 is originating in Grafton today and 508's usual set is still dead in the Worcester yard.

Edit 4: 508 is actually cancelled, 512 is going to sweep up whatever 506 couldn't and hope for the best.

508 wasn't cancelled. It departed about 25 minutes late. 512 departed near schedule today.
Young train enthusiast who also has an interest in planes and cars
Type 7 3684
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:36 pm
Location: Newton, MA

Re: 2016 Commuter Rail Delay Discussion Thread

Postby Komarovsky » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:00 am

Type 7 3684 wrote:
Komarovsky wrote:Delays on the Worcester line this morning. 506 is delayed because of a mechanical and is stuck in the yard in Worcester with 508's set. No alerts on 508 at the moment but its already 5 min late for its own departure. I can see this being a good morning....

Edit 1: looks like 506 won't be originating in Worcester today.

Edit 2: 508 is mechanical'd in the Worcester yard now.

Edit 3: 512's set(1066 and 6 flats) is now running 508's schedule 25 min late. 506 is originating in Grafton today and 508's usual set is still dead in the Worcester yard.

Edit 4: 508 is actually cancelled, 512 is going to sweep up whatever 506 couldn't and hope for the best.

508 wasn't cancelled. It departed about 25 minutes late. 512 departed near schedule today.


The T alerts and the conductor on 512 and 508's set in the Worcester yard at 7:35 would disagree with you.
Komarovsky
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:11 pm

Re: 2016 Commuter Rail Delay Discussion Thread

Postby nomis » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:22 am

Dave,
1) comm cable, plus HEP cables, and brake pipe hose between each car.

2) MU cable, comm cable, plus HEP cables, and both brake pipe and main res hoses between each car.

3) Brake pipe hose between two sets, at a minimum if the trailing set has no ability to move on its own. MU cable and brake pipe at a minimum will combine two train sets and have both sets generate motive power. Hep cables between two sets are only needed if one set is not generating power. Main res between two sets only if the air compressor is not working on the leading set where a cab car will control the brakes. Comm cable may not be needed since doors are operated independently in each set with double stops on a double-draft. I've never observed the CR use the comm in between a [non revenue] double draft, but I haven't had a reason to go out to on a [planned revenue double draft] football train.
Moderator: Metro-North (with CDOT), Photography & Video

Avatar: An overnight trip on Girard Ave. stumbles upon 6 PCC's and an LRV stuck within two blocks.
User avatar
nomis
 
Posts: 2018
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:52 pm
Location: MRS 43 (was QA 9 & QB 2)

Re: 2016 Commuter Rail Delay Discussion Thread

Postby jaymac » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:13 am

I have tried keeping my posting fingers to myself on the following comment, but enough has proven too much for continued self-restraint.
The frequent observation is that the Pentagon generally re-fights the last war. The Commonwealth's current administration has had numerous media briefings and snow-removal-equipment photo ops to demonstrate its readiness to deal with a repeat of last year's precipitation conditions, but apparently, temperature-related equipment failures and their cascading consequences seem to have gotten a lesser amount of consideration. Then newly-inaugurated Gov. Baker had no initial contact with Beverly Scott last year, generally taken as a sign of his displeasure with her and/or her management. He seems to have maintained contact, however, with the new upper levels of DOT and T leadership since their installation.
Yes, Gov. Charlie Baker does have a full -- even overflowing -- plate in departments including and beyond the T, but he campaigned as someone who could fix problems, plural problems. To rephrase Franklin, prevention -- if a lot more boring -- is better than reaction.
To possibly offend both supporters of the governor and consumers of Good & Plenty of a certain age, it's past time and on your watch, Choo-Choo Charlie, to make public transit boringly reliable.

(Mods: If this seems unseemly, please do as you see fit.)
"A white SUV with a roof antenna just might not be a company van."
jaymac
 
Posts: 3390
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:08 pm

Re: 2016 Commuter Rail Delay Discussion Thread

Postby Type 7 3684 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:45 pm

Komarovsky wrote:
Type 7 3684 wrote:
Komarovsky wrote:Delays on the Worcester line this morning. 506 is delayed because of a mechanical and is stuck in the yard in Worcester with 508's set. No alerts on 508 at the moment but its already 5 min late for its own departure. I can see this being a good morning....

Edit 1: looks like 506 won't be originating in Worcester today.

Edit 2: 508 is mechanical'd in the Worcester yard now.

Edit 3: 512's set(1066 and 6 flats) is now running 508's schedule 25 min late. 506 is originating in Grafton today and 508's usual set is still dead in the Worcester yard.

Edit 4: 508 is actually cancelled, 512 is going to sweep up whatever 506 couldn't and hope for the best.

508 wasn't cancelled. It departed about 25 minutes late. 512 departed near schedule today.


The T alerts and the conductor on 512 and 508's set in the Worcester yard at 7:35 would disagree with you.

The T's website said otherwise, but I'll go with what Dave said.
Young train enthusiast who also has an interest in planes and cars
Type 7 3684
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:36 pm
Location: Newton, MA

Re: 2016 Commuter Rail Delay Discussion Thread

Postby Diverging Route » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:02 pm

Not precisely a delay, but when this happens, the train does get delayed due to slow loading and unloading:

Providence Train 819 (5:40pm outbound) will have a smaller train set. Riders encouraged to take #817 (5:00pm outbound) or #821 (6:10pm outbound).

Due to a shortage of equipment, Train 819 (5:40 pm outbound) will run with smaller train set tonight. Passengers are encouraged to take Train 817 (5:00 pm outbound) or Train 821 (6:10 pm outbound). Passengers requiring service up to Route 128 should also consider taking Stoughton Line trains.


Last time it happened to me on the PVD line, the usual seven-car set of K/Rs had a subbed six-car flat. OUCH!
User avatar
Diverging Route
 
Posts: 1560
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2004 3:35 pm

Re: 2016 Commuter Rail Delay Discussion Thread

Postby dbperry » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:53 pm

My analysis of what happened this AM on the Framingham Worcester line is up on my blog:

http://dbperry.weebly.com

An unintended consequence of meltdowns like this is that it seems to expand my network of sources of information. Some of my post is speculation, but most of it is confirmed - the two separate problems are confirmed by multiple sources, and the east facing loco on P506 I saw for myself.

Dave
Known to Keolis and the MBTA as "Twitter Dave"
Frequently posting about the MBTA Framingham-Worcester line on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FramWorMBTA
Owner of Framingham-Worcester Blog: http://FramWorMBTA.weebly.com/
Maintainer of MBTA schedule archive: http://www.dbperry.net/MBTA/
User avatar
dbperry
 
Posts: 794
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:28 pm
Location: Suburbs of Boston

Re: 2016 Commuter Rail Delay Discussion Thread

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:29 pm

2008W/1070E was on the 508 set, along with 7 K/R cars.....the 1070 was the engine cut to save the other set in the yard....the other problem HSP was the 2029. Train 819-6 had 2 flats and 4 doubles to PVD tonight with an extra trainman to help open doors and speed up unloading.
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050
 
Posts: 3498
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:57 pm

Re: 2016 Commuter Rail Delay Discussion Thread

Postby nomis » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:42 pm

Dave, The 507-510 consist should usually come from the 802, the first departure from pawtucket west for the AM rush.
Moderator: Metro-North (with CDOT), Photography & Video

Avatar: An overnight trip on Girard Ave. stumbles upon 6 PCC's and an LRV stuck within two blocks.
User avatar
nomis
 
Posts: 2018
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:52 pm
Location: MRS 43 (was QA 9 & QB 2)

Re: 2016 Commuter Rail Delay Discussion Thread

Postby Komarovsky » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:16 pm

Fantastic post Dave, as per usual.
Komarovsky
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:11 pm

Re: 2016 Commuter Rail Delay Discussion Thread

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:03 am

nomis wrote:Dave, The 507-510 consist should usually come from the 802, the first departure from pawtucket west for the AM rush.


negative, that lineup changed months ago....On a good morning, 802 turns for 505 and 502 turn for 507
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050
 
Posts: 3498
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:57 pm

Re: 2016 Commuter Rail Delay Discussion Thread

Postby Komarovsky » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:34 pm

10mph speed restriction between west newton and auburndale tonight. So far it's knocked 523 and 527 about 10-15 minutes off schedule. More cold weather related track issues?
Komarovsky
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:11 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], RenegadeMonster, snitkofj and 4 guests