Quincy Adams closed entrance/exit

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

Quincy Adams closed entrance/exit

Postby rhodiecub2 » Sat May 02, 2015 8:59 am

Was there at one time an entrance/exit that led to Independence Avenue at Quincy Adams station?
rhodiecub2

Re: Quincy Adams closed entrance/exit

Postby Gerry6309 » Sat May 02, 2015 9:12 am

rhodiecub2 wrote:Was there at one time an entrance/exit that led to Independence Avenue at Quincy Adams station?

A passageway was constructed when the station was built, but the local NIMBYs forced the MBTA to not open it because of the fear that commuters would park on local streets. It was one of the factors which delayed the station's opening.
Gerry. STM/BSRA

The next stop is Washington. Change for Forest Hills Trains on the Winter St. Platform, and Everett Trains on the Summer St. Platform. This is an Ashmont train, change for Braintree at Columbia.
Gerry6309

Postby The EGE » Sun May 03, 2015 4:27 pm

You can see it on Street View here: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.233427, ... Zzv1pw!2e0
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:51 am

http://somerville.wickedlocal.com/news/ ... te-opening

MBTA officials outlined plans to repair and refurbish Quincy Adams station, but many in attendance at a public meeting Tuesday night wanted to discuss reopening the pedestrian gate on Independence Avenue.

John McCormack, the project manager for the MBTA, said the $70 million to $80 million project includes work on the pathway between Independence Avenue and the station. The path is blocked by an iron fence and a locked gate.

The gate will not be opened as part of the project, and work on the pathway will come near the end of the 31/2-year project, he said.

They're repairing the path to Independence Ave. as part of the QA station renos, but they aren't reopening the closed gate. Predictably, local citizens and pols are confused by this.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby Philip Wirth » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:37 pm

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:http://somerville.wickedlocal.com/news/20170412/quincy-adams-station-work-doesnt-include-gate-opening
They're repairing the path to Independence Ave. as part of the QA station renos, but they aren't reopening the closed gate. Predictably, local citizens and pols are confused by this.

I thought it was closed because local citizens and pols and wanted it closed.
Philip Wirth

Postby troffey » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:07 am

IIRC from when I lived in the neighborhood, the residents complained about the number of cars parking in the neighborhood to avoid the garage. Rather than do any sort of parking enforcement, the City asked the T to close the gate and pulled the "well, at least the cars are gone" answer. It was never my impression that the attitude in the neighborhood was explicitly against the gate, and the closure resulted in a lot of people (myself included) who wound up taking the bus to Quincy Center to get on the train because of what a pain it was to get into Quincy Adams, despite the fact I could see into the station from my apartment.
troffey

Postby rethcir » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:17 pm

I heard it was not unknown for neighborhood residents to acquire keys to the gate in the past as well. This was way pre-9/11 and 2013 Marathon however.
rethcir

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)