Trolleys of Boston/Boston Traction DVD

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Trolleys of Boston/Boston Traction DVD

Postby NaugyRR » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:05 pm

Hi all!

I'm doing a little early Christmas shopping for myself and have been looking into some railroad-themed DVD's. This DVD caught my interest http://www.historicrail.com/Trolleys-of-Boston_Boston-Traction-Combo/productinfo/0RV5578/#.VIDCecl9iSo and I was wondering if anyone here has it, and is it worth buying for the $30 price tag? It seems like finding reviews for a lot of railroad books and DVDs is a near impossible task. I have the Hudson Line DVD by the same production company, and it's actually a decent DVD with lots of good pure (no commentary, music, etc) footage.

My parents used to bring me to Boston quite a bit when I was younger from the 90's through to the early 00's, and the Green Line played a huge part in my childhood. We used to stay at a Howard Johnson's right behind Fenway and would take the Green Line from *I think* Kenmore to Gov't Center to go to Quincy Market and the aquarium. I remember on the way to Gov't Center we would pass one station that had a gated off track with an older car stored away, and I remember riding on the Type 6's and 7's in that solid green paint scheme. In the early 00's we would stay at a hotel right on the river next to the science museum and the Lechmere terminus, and making the same trip to Gov't Center I'd peek over the viaduct on the first leg of the trip and try to spot the purple commuter trains going in and out of North Station. The Green Line's certainly influenced my railroad tastes quite a bit and has led me to developing a bit of a light rail / streetcar bug, haha. Despite now being a young adult and not having been to Boston in a long time, I still get the itch to go back and visit and explore. Of course I'm always interested in learning more as well. As a young adult I've had the opportunity and pleasure of running both the #434 Dallas car at Seashore and the #16 Springfield combine car in East Windsor. One of these days I'll make the trip east over the Pike (or maybe the Shoreline to South Station) to get reacquainted, and maybe even ride the Mattapan Line (I've never actually been on a PCC, haha).

So please share your thoughts on the DVD if you've seen it and also please recommend any other film or book titles that go into the Green Line and Boston trolley operations.

Thank you!

And my apologies for the personal sidetrack and I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.
"That sapling that once grew just south of Wassaic may be long gone, and the Harlem Line’s appearance may have changed over the years, but for decades to come, I can count on it continuing to provide me with funny recollections"
NaugyRR

Re: Trolleys of Boston/Boston Traction DVD

Postby dieciduej » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:24 pm

I have that DVD and the footage is vintage '70s and '80s up to the Boeing LRVs, musical soundtrack although Trolleys of Boston does have some commentary. One word of warning the Boston Traction video for the first 5 minutes or so is of Pittsburgh and Toronto! For Boston history with commentary I suggest GPS Video's "Foster Palmer's Boston Trolleys" along with their Boston Trolleys Part 2 & 3. The Foster Palmer video is more historic of past streetcar lines in Boston, well worth it.

The Boston Street Railway Association is a good place to look http://www.thebsra.org/ for DVDs & books. They have produced a good series or books which you can find in used railroad book stores on-line. Give it a search. There was this thread too:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=84469&hilit=books#p953402

JoeD
dieciduej

Postby NaugyRR » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:39 am

Thanks Joe! I appreciate the details. Sorry for not looking a little better to find the thread you linked.

I took a look at the Boston Trolley DVDs on the BSRA website and the price seems pretty fair at $65 for the 3-piece set. I pawed through some of the books too. Boston Below seems like an interesting read, and it's a shame the Morning Sun books are so expensive otherwise I'd buy quite a few of them. I also saw Arcadia's Trolleys Under the Hub that looks like a good read. I have their book on Waterbury, CT's streetcars and I thought it was very well written with excellent photos.
"That sapling that once grew just south of Wassaic may be long gone, and the Harlem Line’s appearance may have changed over the years, but for decades to come, I can count on it continuing to provide me with funny recollections"
NaugyRR

Postby jonnhrr » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:11 pm

I second JoeD's remarks about the GPS video series, I also have Vol II and III. My impression was that Historic Rail's prices were high, I'd maybe look around. If you get them from STM you are also helping to support the Museum. Also BSRA has a good selection and is another good organization to support.

For books I'd suggest Boston Transit Equipment 1979 - 2009 which you can get from BSRA. It would fit the time period you remember. It's also less expensive around $20 I believe.

Jon
Avatar Photo - P&W local from Gardner to Worcester at Morgan Rd., Hubbardston
jonnhrr

Postby NaugyRR » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:43 am

Thanks Jon, I'll certainly check out the book you suggested, and I'd certainly rather buy it from the BSRA or the STM than Historic Rail. I do agree on their prices being high and I would rather support a historical society or museum; I typically use Historic Rail as a starting point and work Google from there. I kind of wish I had more time and money when I was at the Seashore (my motorman run was at the end of the day and everything was closed once we put the car back in the barn). The gift store there was huge and had a massive variety.
NaugyRR

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)