Possible reopening of Mishawum Station

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Possible reopening of Mishawum Station

Postby NealG » Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:41 am

City officials in Woburn are asking the MBTA to reopen Mishawum Station as a full time stop. As someone who used to live in Burlington and would bike to Mishawum, I fully support this. While Anderson is a very useful regional facility, it is inaccessable to bikes and pedestrians. Mishawum served the neighborhood.

Daily Times Chronicle article
NealG

Postby tabslate » Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:54 pm

i dont see what they are waiting for to reopen it. they dont need the parking lot, anderson is close by, and the station is already ADA complaint and is with in walking distance of many businesses and the woburn mall(not that anyone would want to shop there. )
tabslate

Postby savebowdoin » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:39 pm

I don't see any problem with it reopening... even if they make it a full time signal stop (i.e. they'll stop only if someone wants to get on or off). They really screwed the local residents, shoppers & workers when they closed it, since though Anderson is close by distance, it is an enormous production to access it on foot from the Mishawum area.

Mike
savebowdoin

Postby fm535 » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:01 pm

Tongue in Cheek: Don't make fun of Woburn's fine mall!

Even the owners of the mall abandoned it immediately afer they opened up. (Kresge's has been the proprietor for many years - the parent of KMart) Kmart moved out, and Lechmere had the anchor store for many years, until they went belly up under Montgomery Ward's management, which screwed with its organization.

But Mishawum makes more sense to me for commuters, because the access to all the different Cumming's Park sections, Charette and the gym. The walk under the highway onto Olympia Ave is still quick and you gain access to that office area easily. Anderson was only a good idea for the Park & Ride people coming off of I-93 from NH on the new exit ramps, not for the workers that walked Mishawum Road or Olympia Ave.
fm535

Postby ryanov » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:33 am

Where is/was the hotel lobby on this? Aren't there several right there? I stayed at the Susse Chalet as a kid one time and we used that station... it was perfect.
|=| R. Novosielski |=|
ryanov

Postby ithjames » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:46 am

The T should totally keep Mishawum station open full time. There are lots of businesses and hotels around that area and it could benefit by having a Commuter Rail stop there. I would hope the T comes to thier senses and keeps it open full time.
ithjames

Postby jrc520 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:32 am

There are many hotels near by. I've seen people who've walked from those hotels right to the station, and it really is nice to have it there. I really wish they had opened it up again, since it's not even as close as Winchester Center and Wedgemere, and the traffic to both here in Woburn would be high enough to justify it
jrc520

Postby trainhq » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:47 pm

Mishawum would also be nice for folks living on the west side of Anderson.
The way it is now, they have to drive all the way down and then back up
the east side, or if they're coming off 128, all the way up another mile.
I think that right there would give it decent ridership; I'd certainly use
it to go downtown from where I work in Burlington, since it would be closer. I think the real reason the T hasn't opened up the west side of Anderson is that everybody on the west side would start parking there, the T would lose parking $$$ on their huge lot, and the local streets would
get jammed. This way, they'd get their parking $$$ at Mishawum and
make the west side folks happy too. A win-win proposition.
trainhq

Postby Stephen » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:00 pm

There is a proposal from the T to develop the parking lot next to the station. A 200 room hotel and 225 apartments would be built and the station would be reopened. I think its in the City of Woburn's hands now. If they approve, and last I saw they were in favor, then the T would need to find a developer. If it happens, its a couple of years down the line.
- Stephen
Stephen

Postby ryanov » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:11 am

What's Mishawum's story now? Limited weekday service?
|=| R. Novosielski |=|
ryanov

Postby apodino » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:36 am

IIRC Mishwaum has limited reverse commuting service. IE three morning outbound trains and three afternoon inbound trains, or something like that.

The station should have been left open in my opinon. The only reason it was moved was for Park and Ride purposes, and didn't count in the other factors.

Strange thing is Mishwaum was the first station on the line to be upgraded to ADA compliancy IIRC.
Rich "Dino" Martin
A one time happy rider of Arborway and the old Washington St. El.
apodino

Postby Ron Newman » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:49 am

I don't understand why it was ever closed. It's obviously in a much more useful location than Anderson, which is in the middle of nowhere.
Ron Newman

Postby SnoozerZ49 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:45 pm

Throw my vote in for expanding service to Mishawam. It seems silly for people from Boston to have to go to Anderson and transfer to the next inbound that stops at Mishawam. People do it though. Mishawam won't detract from Anderson, especially if the parking lot is redeveloped. It is a great convenience for Woburn and anyone near Washington St in Woburn.
SnoozerZ49

Postby ithjames » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:38 pm

Why did they oprn Anderson/RTC station anyway. Couldn't they have enhanced Mishawum station instead of spending so much money on Anderson station. Mishawum was at least placed better especially with it being on 93 and 128 and having so businesses around that area.
ithjames

Postby trainhq » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:05 pm

The old Mishawum station had a number of problems. It was a nightmare
for commuters to access from 93; I used to use it all the time, and you
had to go through two very nasty interchanges on 128. There wasn't enough parking, and the indoor waiting area was a long ways from the platform. For 93 commuters and airport users only, Anderson, is much much better.

However, for people on the west side of the tracks, Anderson is actually worse. The T has deliberately not created access to Anderson from the west side, in my opinion, for two reasons.

1. If they build a through road (road underpass) everyone will start using it as precisely that, which means that traffic on the roads west of Anderson and through Anderson will pick up considerably, not to mention
more people parking on the west side.

2. If they build a walkway under/over the tracks, people will start parking
on the west side for free, in which case all the west side streets will be congested with parking and the T will lose parking $$$ in their lot.

Re-opening Mishwaum would really help the West side folks, especially
if they could find some way of keeping the existing parking. I think
it would get plenty of use, and not subtract significantly from use at
Anderson.
trainhq

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)