Foxboro Commuter Rail Extension

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Foxboro Commuter Rail Extension

Postby DaWolf85 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:19 pm

As of Nov 17, trips towards Foxboro (starting with the game train on the 26th) are now listed in the GTFS schedules published for use by developers, and reportedly will be visible in the real-time data as well. Trips coming back from Foxboro are still not supported, although the MBTA developers say they're planning to add support for that "in the future". This is another step towards making it similar to other Commuter Rail lines.
DaWolf85

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:24 pm

welded rail has been dropped along the Framingham Secondary, look for installation come Spring time
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby Ryanontherails » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:46 pm

So I've been thinking: for the layover facility, why not put it down in the small yard by the Mansfield station? I have several reasons why this would be a good idea:

1. The tracks are (or appear to be) already there.
2. This allows for additional rush-hour capacity to and from Mansfield and/or possibly Attleboro; no deadheads from Boston or trains like #843.
3. The possibility of running at least some trains Mansfield-Boston via Foxboro as well.

Of course, I've always wanted to see passenger rail to Providence along that line and not have to wait for either RIDOT do decide to do it or wait for both them and the MBTA to come to Woonsocket. And it does have its issues (the grade crossings in Foxborough, possible environmental, neighborhood, etc.)
Ryanontherails

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)