Screechy Red Line

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Screechy Red Line

Postby boblothrope » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:10 pm

Over the last week or so, the Red Line has been much noisier. There are painfully loud screeching noises at most curves (though not the slow Harvard curve -- it happens when the train goes fast around other curves). I think it's worse at the back of the train.

Is a track lubricator broken?
boblothrope

Re: Screechy Red Line

Postby BostonUrbEx » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:55 pm

I've seen a ton of complaints on this, both on Twitter and Reddit. Something is definitely amiss somewhere. Sounds like most people were complaining about somewhere up around Alewife-Porter area.
BostonUrbEx

Postby Finch » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:22 pm

I've noticed this too, but I've also experienced it in previous years at the same spots (southbound out of Charles, and southbound out of South Station). I'm wondering if it's a result of the returning cold weather causing a slight change in rail conditions.
Finch

Postby Gerry6309 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:59 pm

Finch wrote:I've noticed this too, but I've also experienced it in previous years at the same spots (southbound out of Charles, and southbound out of South Station). I'm wondering if it's a result of the returning cold weather causing a slight change in rail conditions.

It's leaf season. Leaves lubricate the rails in all the wrong places. Once the leaves are gone normal lubrication will return.
Gerry. STM/BSRA

The next stop is Washington. Change for Forest Hills Trains on the Winter St. Platform, and Everett Trains on the Summer St. Platform. This is an Ashmont train, change for Braintree at Columbia.
Gerry6309

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)