Weekend Service Restoration on the South Side Discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Weekend Service Restoration on the South Side Discussion

Postby deathtopumpkins » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:12 pm

So today the T announced the return of weekend service to Plymouth, sort of. For the next 2 weeks there will be 2 daily round trips, leaving Boston at 8 and 10:20, and leaving Plymouth at 1:30 and 4:20.

I guess that's better than nothing?

It seems like they're marketing this towards tourists visiting Plymouth, but I wonder how many people won't realize the station isn't even within walking distance of downtown? There isn't even any mention of a shuttle.

http://www.mbta.com/uploadedfiles/docum ... hTrain.pdf
Call me Connor or DTP

Railfan & Roadgeek from the North Shore of Mass.
deathtopumpkins

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:29 pm

deathtopumpkins wrote:So today the T announced the return of weekend service to Plymouth, sort of. For the next 2 weeks there will be 2 daily round trips, leaving Boston at 8 and 10:20, and leaving Plymouth at 1:30 and 4:20.

I guess that's better than nothing?

It seems like they're marketing this towards tourists visiting Plymouth, but I wonder how many people won't realize the station isn't even within walking distance of downtown? There isn't even any mention of a shuttle.

http://www.mbta.com/uploadedfiles/docum ... hTrain.pdf

There's 2 regular GATRA bus routes from Cordage Park to downtown, so it's accessible. Not real frequent, though...every hour on the hour. T generally doesn't publicize out-of-district buses that well. Also not sure GATRA has migrated fully over to Charlie Card yet.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby The EGE » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:10 pm

Fairmount weekend schedule (permalink) is available. 17 trains each direction, one hour headways.

While weekday service is still abysmal, it's a small step in the right direction. No other line had one-hour weekend headways, and the clock-facing schedule helps a lot.
The EGE

Postby The EGE » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:52 pm

Today was the first weekend service on the Fairmount Line since 1987, and tomorrow will be the first Sunday service on the line since at least 1944 (none of the southside lines operated Sunday service during 1979-1987).

Fitchburg weekend service is back for the winter, and Plymouth/Kingston, Greenbush, and Needham service returns in December. That means service to everywhere but Stoughton on Saturdays, and everywhere but Needham and Stoughton on Sundays. That's the most weekend service during the MBTA era, and probably at least as far back as the late 50s.
The EGE

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:25 pm

weekend Fairmount line #'s resembled weeday mid day riders...terrible. We'll see how long this lasts
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby The EGE » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:23 pm

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:weekend Fairmount line #'s resembled weeday mid day riders...terrible. We'll see how long this lasts

Unsurprising; they're not going to get better until headways are near those of the local buses.

The December 27th schedules are out. Needham Saturday schedule is every two hours clock-facing; Greenbush and Plymouth are every 1-3 hours at odd intervals. All trains go to Kingston; three in each direction reverse and continue to Plymouth.
The EGE

Postby atlantis » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:43 am

There is an error on the online Needham Saturday schedule. It says "Inbound to Boston" on both columns and shows no outbound Saturday service.
If Boston to Cape Cod rail service occurs in 2012 I will eat a jelly doughnut dipped in tomato sauce.
atlantis

Postby chrisf » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:19 pm

atlantis wrote:There is an error on the online Needham Saturday schedule. It says "Inbound to Boston" on both columns and shows no outbound Saturday service.

Also, all the weekday trains get their schedules padded by 1-5 minutes. I guess that's one way for Keolis to save money on lateness penalties.
chrisf

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)