Green Line Derailment 3/10/14

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Green Line Derailment 3/10/14

Postby 4400Washboard » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:36 pm

RailBus63 wrote:
CRail wrote:The way a 25mph speed limit isn't realistic on Mass Ave, a 6 mile an hour speed limit isn't realistic anywhere. If those were followed, you'd want to reach over and step on the accelerator yourself. I'd like to see realistic speed limits posted and enforced (everywhere, meaning for public roads as well). The grey area leads to this culture of unsafety and traps drivers (and motormen) to become accustomed to what will be pinned on them should something go wrong.

Completely agree. The most ridiculous example are the 6 MPH signs in various busways and the Harvard Square tunnel. Set realistic speed limits and enforce those.

6 mph. is definitely unreasonable. I can imagine most motormen are just itching to increase speed there. The NYC subway had a stretch of track restricted to 6 mph. (Which had disastrous results).
MTA project completion date calculator Take the MTA 's estimate for completion and add 8 years to that.
4400Washboard

Postby Disney Guy » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:21 pm

Somehow I think that a posted speed limit of less than 10 MPH has its place.

Back in the PCC era, I recall dewirements happening when the speed of outbound Riverside trains through the Beacon Junction (location of this thread's subject) seemed too fast.

Buses going too fast through the Harvard tunnel would be in danger of hitting the sides.

Long time ago, a New York IRT train, traveling at normal speed (which was well over 6 MPH) through a facing switch in the subway, had its 9'th of 10 cars split the switch and get squashed to 2 feet wide with much carnage.
(To the theater stage manager) Quit twiddling the knob and flickering the lights while the audience is entering and being seated. (To the subway motorman) Quit twiddling the knob and dinging the doors while passengers are getting off and others are waiting to board.
Disney Guy

Postby bostontrainguy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:47 pm

highgreen215 wrote:Are T speedometer readouts designed to indicate 6 MPH? If not, how can you hold an operator to that standard? Most speedometers read in 5s so perhaps that should be the speed limit, or raised to 10 MPH when conditions permit.

No, the newer speedometers are just like a car's - 5 and 10 mph marks. The PCCs however have new digital speedometers that register to the exact MPH.

The PCCs rounding the curve at Ashmont can't even run as slow as the 6 mph posted limit. They jerk back and forth and buck a lot as the operator tries to obey an unrealistic speed limit.
Last edited by bostontrainguy on Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bostontrainguy

Postby 4400Washboard » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:38 am

Disney Guy wrote:Somehow I think that a posted speed limit of less than 10 MPH has its place.

Back in the PCC era, I recall dewirements happening when the speed of outbound Riverside trains through the Beacon Junction (location of this thread's subject) seemed too fast.

Buses going too fast through the Harvard tunnel would be in danger of hitting the sides.

Long time ago, a New York IRT train, traveling at normal speed (which was well over 6 MPH) through a facing switch in the subway, had its 9'th of 10 cars split the switch and get squashed to 2 feet wide with much carnage.

That's the '91 4 train disaster?
MTA project completion date calculator Take the MTA 's estimate for completion and add 8 years to that.
4400Washboard

Postby nomis » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:24 pm

Yet a type 8 speedometers have marks at every 2 mph with bolded marks at the 10 mph intervals.
Moderator: Metro-North (with CDOT), Photography & Video

Avatar: An overnight trip on Girard Ave. stumbles upon 6 PCC's and an LRV stuck within two blocks.
nomis

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)