Pan Am Detours coming??

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Pan Am Detours coming??

Postby mdamico23 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:16 pm

Hi Folks,
With the Pan Am derailment in Westford, MA blocking the 'Freight Main Line' east of Ayer, does anyone think that there might be some Pan American detours via the Fitchburg Line coming in the next few days until the mess is cleared up? I know Pan Am operated detours via the Fitchburg line in 2010 and also one weekend last year. If they operate this weekend, I might try and catch it in places like Concord, Lincoln and Belmont, especially if there is a coal train in the mix. Or POSE/SEPO operated over the Boston + Albany to Beacon Park and then up the Grand Junction? Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks...

-mike
mdamico23

Re: Pan Am Detours coming??

Postby caduceus » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:58 pm

I'm pretty sure I heard on the radio that the cars have already been rerailed - but I've also heard varying numbers of how many cars.
First law of public transportation: You can never be early, but you can always be late.
caduceus

Postby tvachon » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:30 am

Well the same day 4-8 cars derailed and toppled in Gardner (looked like the auto train). I think they were rereailed the next day, but I'm sure if it was the auto train, those cars are due to uturn back to the factory
tvachon

Postby GP40MC1118 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:52 am

The Gardner derailment was on the P&W, not PAR.

As far as detours goes, there were no requests. Unless it was going to be a long term
outage, its probably not worth it. Consider the fact that like the previous detours due to
flooding, all freights had to be made up to fit restrictive clearances on the MBTA lines.
Probably not worth the effort since the Westford incident didn't take out a bridge.

D
GP40MC1118

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)