The Next Round of Fare Increases (mid 2014)

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

The Next Round of Fare Increases (mid 2014)

Postby Rbts Stn » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:49 am

And as a side note to the third rail issues, check out the end of the article in the Globe about that recent problem: http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/1 ... story.html

The T’s decision to lower the fares for The Ride from $4 to $3 is good news for senior citizens and people with disabilities, many of whom suffered when the cost of The Ride was doubled in 2012.

The changes will cost the agency $6 million a year, said MBTA chief financial officer Jonathan R. Davis. To make up for that loss and pay for other services, officials are looking to raise ticket prices to provide an overall 5 percent increase in fare revenue next summer, he said. Because the $3 Ride fares will not increase, the prices for subway, bus, commuter rail, and ferry passengers will probably all rise more than 5 percent.
Rbts Stn

Re: The Next Round of Fare Increases (mid 2014)

Postby SM89 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:06 pm

Can't they not increase it more than the rate of inflation? Wasn't that part of the transportation bill?
SM89

Postby NH2060 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:16 pm

I feel like they're really pressing their luck with this one in relation to potential drops in ridership, especially on the CR.

Furthermore, more people might end up walking across Boston than taking the T (when it's not winter ;-))
NH2060

Postby Teamdriver » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:01 am

Something has to give. Devalue and his gang want to run the swamp with extension cords to get to the Southcoast , and yet there is the latest , the third rail failures. Someone has to pay for something , it cant always be taken care of by OPM ( Other Peoples' Money ) . It's doom and gloom all over the place. I live on a line that is discontinued weekends. It is what it is. I would be willing to pay a weekend surcharge to use it when needed. There has been no mention that I am aware of of any rate increase for the new proposed night owl T service , only reasons why the software or some other bullsheet wont allow rate variances, blah , blah , blah. Just let OPM pay for it. Arguments about the Big Dig owsies , and all the other academia studies and tax re-distributions ect. wont get it done . Everything costs more today, and the ticket to ride is going to go up . I myself conclude , in a study held in my mind while sitting beside a wood burning fire, that declining ridership is caused by a lack of confidence in the service levels. If the T 's service was more reliable and they had newer shiny stuff , ridership levels would rise. It just takes money.
Teamdriver

Postby ST214 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:18 pm

Teamdriver wrote:If the T 's service was more reliable and they had newer shiny stuff , ridership levels would rise.

Honestly, I don't think it has to be new or shiny, it just has to get from A to B without crapping itself. Too many pieces of equipment have been failing at that for a long time.
Hoping for a rebirth of the Screamer fleet.
ST214

Postby SM89 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:33 pm

How much would it cost to have another company reprogram the fare machines? I assume a good chunk of money, but wouldn't it be worth it? A lot of great money-saving proposals have been brushed off just because of this supposed beef between the T and the fare collection software company.
SM89

Postby Teamdriver » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:21 am

ST214 wrote:
Teamdriver wrote:If the T 's service was more reliable and they had newer shiny stuff , ridership levels would rise.

Honestly, I don't think it has to be new or shiny, it just has to get from A to B without crapping itself. Too many pieces of equipment have been failing at that for a long time.

Yes I agree, I was being facetious about the new or shiny , but nothing lasts dependably anymore like the old Mack B's .
Teamdriver

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)