MBTA considers land taking in South Boston

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

MBTA considers land taking in South Boston

Postby Teamdriver » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:15 am

'' A controversial proposal in South Boston to turn a 50,000-square-foot cold storage warehouse into a $10 million recycling plant would be moot if the MBTA decides to take the parcel by eminent domain.
An MBTA spokesman confirmed that the transportation agency is considering the 18.6-acre site at Widett Circle as one of two dozen places to store trains. A decision is expected by next spring.
Details on the Department of Transportation’s ability or process to take land by eminent domain ­ — where the state would pay fair market value for the parcel that is assessed at $11.1 million — was unclear on Thursday.
The move would be part of a DOT expansion project intended to allow for more intercity and high-speed rail service flowing in and out of South Station. Under the proposal, up to seven tracks and platforms as well as construction of a new passenger concourse and other amenities would be added. The state would acquire and demolish the 16-acre U.S. Postal Service mail facility on Dorchester Avenue adjacent to the station. Vehicle and pedestrian access to Dorchester Avenue, which is restricted today, would be restored.''
http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/real_ ... uthie.html
Teamdriver

Re: MBTA considers land taking in South Boston

Postby BostonUrbEx » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:16 am

I thought this would be for yard space, but no. A recycling plant.

First, what kind of recycling are we talking about if the MBTA is running it? Sounds like a sloppy article.
BostonUrbEx

Postby SM89 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:33 am

BostonUrbEx wrote:I thought this would be for yard space, but no. A recycling plant.

First, what kind of recycling are we talking about if the MBTA is running it? Sounds like a sloppy article.

A private company is looking to build the recycling center, but if the MBTA takes the land, it will be added to their yard instead.
SM89

Postby BostonUrbEx » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:25 am

SM89 wrote:
BostonUrbEx wrote:I thought this would be for yard space, but no. A recycling plant.

A private company is looking to build the recycling center, but if the MBTA takes the land, it will be added to their yard instead.

Ah, I get it now. Sloppy article is actually just my sloppy reading.
BostonUrbEx

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:49 am

This is a great move if they can do it. That warehouse eats a lot of space at prime real estate for moving in/out of a layover with zero Amtrak interference. And might be the only way to keep the loop clear for that Track 61 dinky. Considering the BTD tow lot is right next to it on the other side of the loop track, if they settle this one up on a private land swap now for the acute storage needs they've got a continuous site to tap the next time they need a storage increase...only needing a public-public land swap and sufficiently transit-convenient relocation of the city tow yard.

Plus, the T wouldn't have to take the Beacon Park easement by default. Meaning, the Pike can be straightened a little further in this new MassDOT proposal and squeeze out a few more acres of Beacon Park redevelopment. That would make everyone happy, since it's not exactly anyone's ideal for a layover facility (esp. being so out-in-the-open and inherently difficult for site security). I am positive the heavy pressure is being brought out to abort that recycling center redevelopment because of the Pike relocation. The timing within days after that announcement is too conspicuous.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby joshg1 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:24 pm

At first I thought the land taking was a plot hatch by "concerned neighbors". I don't this land used for x, so I get my buddies in the state to take it. Anyway, from a land use or planning perspective using this parcel as a layover yard is a no brainer. The demo debris is already on a truck, just keep going and recycle it out in a suburban industrial park.

Had to think a bit to figure out what a Track 61 dinky was.
joshg1

Postby Teamdriver » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:30 am

There has always been some sort of demolition/ recycle district , if you will , more like abandoned buildings and lots , on Hampden and the surrounding streets, George , Howard , Kemble , Norfolk. They are on the other side of Mass ave , not too far away. Maybe the powers that be should look at taking the whole meat market area , ( Widett Circle and Foodmart Rd ) and relocate it over by the Chelsea produce market. Make a transportation district , and a food district.
Teamdriver

Postby wicked » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:38 am

I'm not sure how large the old landfill/transfer station lot is by Andrew, but it'd fit just fine for a recycling center, and it'd offer easy access to the Haul Road.
wicked

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:24 am

This wasn't some rundown thing they were planning. The building design for this recycling center was pretty opulent in a "LOOK AT ME!" way. Maybe the BRA can help them build it somewhere else.

They probably don't need the meat market yet. The cold storage warehouse is two-thirds a Readville unto itself in storage space. Then the city tow lot across immediately across the loop track from this warehouse is easy-reach land #2 and another Readville-plus in storage. All it takes is a public-public relocation deal for that. So it's critical to get the warehouse settled first because that sets the table for a gradual buildout. It'll be a few years when SS is expanded before they need to take the next step so it doesn't make a ton of sense to acquire more now. But as long as they have that first parcel they can work out the handshake with the city for the second parcel.

The meat market...that's what they'll need when they have to build their own southside BET since those parcels are indeed large enough to fit a full maint facility + some extra tracks. That's much deeper in the future. But setting the table with the warehouse as expansion #1, then the BTD tow lot as expansion #2 makes expansion #3 pretty much inevitable before 2030.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby Teamdriver » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:05 pm

F, I remember when the meat market , or at least some of the wholesalers , migrated over to Foodmart rd from the Southampton street market , some ,not all, and it was a sort of fragmented industry , things spread out, with some meat guys in the waste area of Norfolk street ect. Over in Chelsea by the produce market , ( with rail too ) , the area is kinda funky, and a large food wholesaler left a good sized facility vacant , not sure whats operating there now. So , in terms of consolidating and streamlining and classing up the joint, after all it is food and has FDA oversight , I think it would be a natural evolvement to move the whole sector over to the produce area and free up the vacated lands for the train support district. Similar to say how Massport moved the cargo area to a new and improved facility at the aerodrome . Now , the food and meat guys may not agree with me , but its my monopoly board . And with respect to the recycle center, unless it requires rail , make such a deal for that fire trap on Norfolk street.
Teamdriver

Postby MBTA3247 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:45 pm

"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby BigUglyCat » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:15 pm

“This is a balancing act,” said Dorcena Forry. “Transportation is a real issue, but we need to take a compressive approach. We need to see the other locations proposed and make sure they [the T] did their due diligence.”

Have the other locations been disclosed, and addressed as to why they were not the first choice?
BigUglyCat

Postby wicked » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:38 am

IF (and I mean IF) the T got stuck, would it consider:

1. Putting commuter rail at Cabot, and then ...
2. Building a Red Line facility elsewhere? Is there enough room at Ashmont? No, I'm guessing.
wicked

Postby MBTA3247 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:05 am

The NIMBYs in Dorchester got plans for a shop at Ashmont cancelled 80 years ago.

Putting the commuter rail layover at Cabot would be even worse than putting it at Widett Circle, because it puts the trains right next to the abutting residents, whereas Widett Circle has no residential abutters.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby wicked » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:46 pm

Just to clarify, I wasn't endorsing the option or even saying it was a good idea -- more like, assuming it would be a Hail Mary if all other options for a layover yard near South Station fall through.

The situation in Southie is about the pols getting their palms greased. Once Lynch, Linehan and Collins say all is well, after a few friends have been added to the T/MBCR payroll, the neighborhood will fall in line.
wicked

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)