World Series Train Service Thread

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

World Series Train Service Thread

Postby wicked » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:57 am

T vows it'll run late for games at Fenway.

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/all ... es_at.html
wicked

Re: World Series Train Service Thread

Postby connartist88h » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:23 am

The weekend Red Line diversions on the Longfellow Bridge will coincide with games 3 and 4 in St. Louis; all other potential game days are on weekdays. The MBTA would probably hope that the Red Sox finish the series by Monday. A parade or rolling rally on November 2nd or 3rd would potentially postpone another weekend diversion.
connartist88h

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:37 am

connartist88h wrote:The weekend Red Line diversions on the Longfellow Bridge will coincide with games 3 and 4 in St. Louis; all other potential game days are on weekdays. The MBTA would probably hope that the Red Sox finish the series by Monday. A parade or rolling rally on November 2nd or 3rd would potentially postpone another weekend diversion.

Are they hedging their bets on whether the RL closure will actually happen? I would think this is an unusual enough occurrence that they'd think about canceling the outage to avoid a trafficopalypse in the city during those games. If they aren't doing anything particularly cumbersome this weekend that can't be postponed one week, it's no big setback for a construction project this drawn-out.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby Rbts Stn » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:35 am

Think we can trust the "T will be running until everyone is out of Fenway" promises for tonight (and tomorrow, if ness)?

Or should I pony up for a place to park within walking distance if we should be so lucky to be celebrating for an hour or two?
Rbts Stn

Postby nomis » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:47 am

I believe your "park within walking distance" should err on the end of 'farther walk' rather than closer. I saw snippets of this from my GF's school email, but attahced are the local parking restrictions. If i get her list of road closures from her email, i shall post that as well.
http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/boston/10012075887788/road-closures-for-world-series-games-6-and-7/
Moderator: Metro-North (with CDOT), Photography & Video

Avatar: An overnight trip on Girard Ave. stumbles upon 6 PCC's and an LRV stuck within two blocks.
nomis

Postby Rbts Stn » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:51 am

nomis wrote:I believe your "park within walking distance" should err on the end of 'farther walk' rather than closer. I saw snippets of this from my GF's school email, but attahced are the local parking restrictions. If i get her list of road closures from her email, i shall post that as well.
http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/boston/10012075887788/road-closures-for-world-series-games-6-and-7/

I saw the list, I've got meters in Brookline about 3/4 mile away (should be easy to figure out where that is) that is my "go to" for nights like this. West of the Boston restrictions, East of the Cleveland Circle restrictions.

If I get there and it's a no go, then I'll probably end up at Brookline Village or Hills, and will face a longer walk than I'd like at that hour if the T isn't running as promised.
Rbts Stn

Postby wicked » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:21 am

A. You're not the only one who will be gunning for those meters, especially on a day where you have POTUS in town (possibly sticking around for the game -- you never know) and a possible clinching World Series game.

B. I would think the T's pledge is good in this case, unless you plan on staying out until 3 a.m.
wicked

Postby Rbts Stn » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:37 am

wicked wrote:A. You're not the only one who will be gunning for those meters, especially on a day where you have POTUS in town (possibly sticking around for the game -- you never know) and a possible clinching World Series game.

B. I would think the T's pledge is good in this case, unless you plan on staying out until 3 a.m.

B: 3AM ain't happening for me. If good things happen, I expect 60-90 minutes of craziness inside the park
A: These meters aren't good until 5PM (3 hour meters, expire at 8, then free), so I've been getting there at 4:30/4:45 and waiting until 5 to feed them. I literally had my choice of dozens last Wed/Thursday. If they aren't blocked off by Brookline (I haven't seen any Brookline parking restrictions), I expect to get one.

(VERY longtime season ticket holder, btw, and if I sold my seat it would only fund a CR ticket for 6 months, so no point in me selling it)
Rbts Stn

Postby nomis » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:54 am

Moderator: Metro-North (with CDOT), Photography & Video

Avatar: An overnight trip on Girard Ave. stumbles upon 6 PCC's and an LRV stuck within two blocks.
nomis

Postby diburning » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:35 am

Rbts Stn wrote:I saw the list, I've got meters in Brookline about 3/4 mile away (should be easy to figure out where that is) that is my "go to" for nights like this. West of the Boston restrictions, East of the Cleveland Circle restrictions.

If I get there and it's a no go, then I'll probably end up at Brookline Village or Hills, and will face a longer walk than I'd like at that hour if the T isn't running as promised.

Rbts Stn wrote:
wicked wrote:A. You're not the only one who will be gunning for those meters, especially on a day where you have POTUS in town (possibly sticking around for the game -- you never know) and a possible clinching World Series game.

B: 3AM ain't happening for me. If good things happen, I expect 60-90 minutes of craziness inside the park
A: These meters aren't good until 5PM (3 hour meters, expire at 8, then free), so I've been getting there at 4:30/4:45 and waiting until 5 to feed them. I literally had my choice of dozens last Wed/Thursday. If they aren't blocked off by Brookline (I haven't seen any Brookline parking restrictions), I expect to get one.

(VERY longtime season ticket holder, btw, and if I sold my seat it would only fund a CR ticket for 6 months, so no point in me selling it)

Meters in Boston are OK. Meters in Brookline will not do you any good as there is no overnight parking allowed in the town of Brookline, and they WILL tow you at midnight sharp!
diburning

Postby Rbts Stn » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:30 am

diburning wrote:
Rbts Stn wrote:I saw the list, I've got meters in Brookline about 3/4 mile away (should be easy to figure out where that is) that is my "go to" for nights like this. West of the Boston restrictions, East of the Cleveland Circle restrictions.

Rbts Stn wrote:

Meters in Boston are OK. Meters in Brookline will not do you any good as there is no overnight parking allowed in the town of Brookline, and they WILL tow you at midnight sharp!

No cars were ticketed or towed as far as I could see, from Park Drive to St. Paul Street. And I've been in those spaces until 1AM in the past without issue. 2AM might be a problem, as that's what Brookline considers to be the beginning of "overnight parking".

Parking went smoothly -- at 5:01PM 40 car doors opened 40 drivers filled meters for 3 hours, and 40 carloads of people went off to have a great night.

Didn't see any outbound trains on C line from 12:30 to 12:45, did see one inbound at 12:45 as we got in to our car.

Folks who drove and parked at the big lot across the street from Fenway were literally penned in to the lot as the police had it barricaded at least until 12:45. That must have been frustrating for them.
Rbts Stn

Postby boblothrope » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:18 pm

Rbts Stn wrote:
wicked wrote:Meters in Boston are OK. Meters in Brookline will not do you any good as there is no overnight parking allowed in the town of Brookline, and they WILL tow you at midnight sharp!

No cars were ticketed or towed as far as I could see, from Park Drive to St. Paul Street. And I've been in those spaces until 1AM in the past without issue. 2AM might be a problem, as that's what Brookline considers to be the beginning of "overnight parking".

"No driver may park...for a period longer than one (1) hour between the hours of 2:00 AM and 6:00 AM". So you should be good until 3 AM in Brookline. And I *think* they just ticket, not tow.

They also have a town-wide 2 hour limit during non-overnight hours. But I think there's an exception at metered spaces during the hours meters aren't in effect.

As far as the parade, http://www.charlesrivertma.org/cambridg ... ekend.html says the T told them the Red Line *will* run over the Longfellow this weekend. I haven't seen an explicit announcement from the T, except that http://mbta.com/rider_tools/transit_upd ... e=Red+Line says "except November 2-3".
boblothrope

Postby diburning » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:29 pm

Maybe they changed it recently. I work across the street from Brookline and back when I used to get off at midnight, the tow trucks would all be lined up ready to go just before midnight. They would start towing at midnight sharp.
diburning

Postby MBTA1016 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:03 pm

nomis wrote:Well, see you all Saturday for the parade ...
http://www.masslive.com/redsox/index.ssf/2013/10/boston_red_sox_world_series_ch.html

And time for a fun day being back on top after what happened in April. This team has brought a new meaning to Boston strong. The subway is running at rush hour times on Saturday starting at 7am.
Josh.W
Formally mbta fan
WE ARE BOSTON, WE ARE BOSTON STRONG

Flicker: http://www.flickr.com/photos/116905626@N06/
Blog: http://jpwilkinson2448.blogspot.com/?m=1
MBTA1016

Postby typesix » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:52 pm

No towing in Brookline for overnight parking, only ticketing. Only vehicles that have been sitting for several days with multiple tickets will be towed. Non-metered spaces have a 2 hour limit, but that enforcement depends on the location.
typesix

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)