Catching my last few MBTA locos in revenue service

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Catching my last few MBTA locos in revenue service

Postby jt42cwr » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:16 pm

Hi,

I'm visiting Boston in November and am on the lookout for the following locos so that I can ride their train in revenue service: -

010
011
1006
1008
1011
1025
1116
1117
1119
1132

Are there any tips anyone can provide to help me track them down quickly, such as if they stick to certain lines/trains?
User avatar
jt42cwr
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 12:37 pm

Re: Catching my last few MBTA locos in revenue service

Postby chrisf » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:34 pm

1006, 1008, and 1011 all will run only out of North Station. Otherwise, no, there's no pattern.
chrisf
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:35 pm

Re: Catching my last few MBTA locos in revenue service

Postby ns3010 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:47 pm

In addition to what Chris said, the 010, 011, and 1025 are more likely to run on the south side, although they can and occasionally do run up north. The 1100 series units can be found on both sides of the system at any given time.

NETransit has a listing of which locomotives are currently assigned to which side, and although this changes daily, the listing is always accurate within at least a few days.
http://transithistory.org/roster/
User avatar
ns3010
 
Posts: 1961
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:53 pm
Location: MP 226.5

Re: Catching my last few MBTA locos in revenue service

Postby jt42cwr » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:50 pm

I see in this document (http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/portals/0/docs/infoCenter/docs_materials/Fleet_Plan.pdf) that 1116 & 1119 are available for use as switchers. Do they see use on these duties regularly or seldomly. Am I going to struggle to see them in revenue use?

4.1.4 GP40MC Locomotives
The twenty-five (25) GP40MC locomotives were built in 1974 – 1975 by GM and
remanufactured by ALSTOM in 1997 – 1998. These units are equipped with a turbocharged, 16-
cylinder diesel engine that develops up to 3000 horsepower (HP). The main generator converts
this mechanical energy into electrical energy, which is delivered to four traction motors for
tractive effort. A secondary engine / generator system, referred to as Head End Power (HEP),
produces 500 kilowatts (KW) of alternating current (AC) power to operate the heat ventilation
and air conditioning (HVAC), communications system and lights for the coaches. These
remanufactured units feature a road switcher style car body, microprocessor power / excitation,
cab signal and braking systems.
Locomotives 1116 and 1119 are available for use as switchers, as they underwent a complete
conversion in 2008 and 2009.
User avatar
jt42cwr
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 12:37 pm

Re: Catching my last few MBTA locos in revenue service

Postby jt42cwr » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:51 pm

ns3010 wrote:NETransit has a listing of which locomotives are currently assigned to which side, and although this changes daily, the listing is always accurate within at least a few days.
http://transithistory.org/roster/


That's an excellent source, thanks
User avatar
jt42cwr
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 12:37 pm

Re: Catching my last few MBTA locos in revenue service

Postby ns3010 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:59 pm

Those two are used for road switcher duties only as needed, and can be found in revenue service at any other time. Which service they are in on any given day depends on the need for work trains and availability of other non-revenue units, as well as the availability of other revenue units on that day. If there are spare revenue units available and only one or two other non-revenue units available, they might be used as switchers or work trains. If there are very few revenue units available as spares, these units will likely be put on revenue or protect trains.
User avatar
ns3010
 
Posts: 1961
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:53 pm
Location: MP 226.5

Re: Catching my last few MBTA locos in revenue service

Postby AEM7AC920 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:13 pm

jt42cwr wrote:Hi,

I'm visiting Boston in November and am on the lookout for the following locos so that I can ride their train in revenue service: -

010
011
1006
1008
1011
1025
1116
1117
1119
1132

Are there any tips anyone can provide to help me track them down quickly, such as if they stick to certain lines/trains?


Allow me to fill in a few blanks, the 1008 and 1132 are both out of service... I can't remember the last time the 1132 ran, it's been inside bet forever with hep problems. 1117 1025 are defiantly north as of today and the rest are pretty much south except for the screamers which are all kept north. The 1116/1119 probably have never been used for switcher service so expect to see them in service on a normal revenue train.
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920
 
Posts: 2582
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:51 pm
Location: Unkown.....

Re: Catching my last few MBTA locos in revenue service

Postby jt42cwr » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:15 am

AEM7AC920 wrote:Allow me to fill in a few blanks, the 1008 and 1132 are both out of service... I can't remember the last time the 1132 ran, it's been inside bet forever with hep problems. 1117 1025 are defiantly north as of today and the rest are pretty much south except for the screamers which are all kept north. The 1116/1119 probably have never been used for switcher service so expect to see them in service on a normal revenue train.


Thanks for this
User avatar
jt42cwr
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 12:37 pm

Re: Catching my last few MBTA locos in revenue service

Postby ST214 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:02 pm

1132 has spent more of her MBTA life sitting at BET than she has on the road.
Hoping for a rebirth of the Screamer fleet.
User avatar
ST214
 
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:49 pm
Location: Cleveland Heights, OH


Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests