Eastern Line Speed Limit Signs.

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Eastern Line Speed Limit Signs.

Postby theseaandalifesaver » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:20 pm

Today as I was driving through Chelsea on Easton Ave, I noticed something at the train crossing I'd never noticed before. It was a yellow sign on the right side of the street (for trains heading north on the ROW) that had a large "60" on it. I've driven by this area dozens of times and have never noticed it. Is this a speed limit sign? How new is it?

I'm going to feel very foolish, and probably get a sarcastic response from Otto, if this sign's been in place forever.
theseaandalifesaver

Re: Eastern Line Speed Limit Signs.

Postby BostonUrbEx » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:29 pm

I don't think they're speed limits, because I think there's one that says 60 at Wyoming Hill. And I don't think a train has done 60 through Wyoming Hill... ever...
BostonUrbEx

Postby AEM7AC920 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:38 pm

Those signs are reminders for temporary speed restrictions, when the geo car came it added a new 60 mph restriction between wonderland and MP 6. Id say the signs are used about 90% of the time.

See here for signs

http://www.trainweb.org/eastpenn/norac/norac.html
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920

Postby octr202 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:10 am

BostonUrbEx wrote:I don't think they're speed limits, because I think there's one that says 60 at Wyoming Hill. And I don't think a train has done 60 through Wyoming Hill... ever...

On the inbound side? Doesn't it go to 60 as soon as you pass Wyoming going inbound?
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby AEM7AC920 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:06 am

No on the #2 track (inbound) the 60 starts at w foster st which is the first crossing after leaving cedar park. Keep in mind there are no track speed limit signs used for the most part, you guys are seeing the temporary speed restriction sign used there. Now as most of you probably know track speed is only 60 which brings the question why is there a 60 there in the first place??? Well half of us wondered the same and when I finally asked I was told the guy that put the restriction there retired and it was never removed after.... Makes no sense to me however it still shows in our speed summary because the limits to the restriction also include 10 mph for freight.
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920

Postby sery2831 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:35 am

Speed limit signs are placed ahead of the restriction itself. The idea is it gives you enough time to break for the restriction. The 60 on the Western Route is really there for the 10 MPH imposed on freight trains. They didn't want to show a freight only restriction, so they show the track speed for passenger trains. At the start of the restriction you will see a yellow S board. This restriction should have been placed in the last Timetable as the track speed for freight and the boards removed, but it was not. I am told the restriction was created for the freight trains because the section of the line that was intended for the Orange Line was never rated for freight trains.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)