Help an MBTA nooby

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Help an MBTA nooby

Postby dieciduej » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:43 pm

Hello Nooby konrail.

Looking at the fare chart for the commuter rail zone chart Mansfield is Zone 6 and Rte. 128 is a Zone 2 equaling traveling through 5 zones so that would an Interzone 5 ticket. Here is the example the MBTA uses:

"Interzone Fares

"Interzone fares" are intended for travel between suburban area stations outside of the Zone 1A Greater Boston area. Interzone fares and passes are NOT valid for travel to Zone 1A stations, including North Station, South Station, and Back Bay. Interzone monthly pass and ticket fares are based on TOTAL zones "travelled" in.

For example, if your commute includes boarding the Lowell Line at Lowell Station (Zone 6) and getting off the train at Anderson/Woburn Station (Zone 2), you would pass through three zones and would buy one single ride Interzone 5 ticket.
"

As for buses, can't get there from here! As far as I know there is no MBTA bus service in the Mansfield area. Buses would run on their own separate schedules.

I hope that helps and welcome aboard.

JoeD

PS I forgot this forum deals with commuter rail, rapid transit and streetcar services, no stinking buses! :P
dieciduej

Postby deathtopumpkins » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:04 pm

konrail wrote:I admit I have very limited experience using the commuter train or bus. I've been trying to figure out how this all works and I think I have it down, but what better way to be sure then to ask the experts. I'm interested in riding the Providence/Stoughton line from the Mansfield Station up to the RTE.128 Station for my daily commute. It looks like this would be an "Interzone 6 trip"? So it looks like $4.50 would get me from the Mansfield Station to the RTE.128 Station, and so another $4.50 to get back home again? $9.00 seems a bit much for this round trip but I believe it.

Is that $4.50 for a 1-way Charlie ticket?
It looks like the Charlie card makes the fare a little lower, by how much?

What about the MBTA buses?
I couldnt find a bus schedule so does that mean they run on the same schedule as the commuter trains?
Are the buses any cheaper?

Anything you can help me with to make this train/bus commute trip cheaper as I'm sure there are cheaper ways. I assume some sort of monthly pass is cheapest but I wasnt sure which pass applied to my situation.

As was already mentioned, you'd need an Interzone 5 ticket/pass.

There is no CharlieCard discount though - commuter rail accepts only cash and CharlieTickets - no smartcards. The only discount is in the form of buying a monthly pass rather than single-ride, round-trip, or 10-ride tickets.

As for buses, all of their schedules can be found here, though the buses don't cover very many suburban towns. Certainly not as far out as Mansfield. There are privately operated commuter buses that may or may not be cheaper or more convenient.
Call me Connor or DTP

Railfan & Roadgeek from the North Shore of Mass.
deathtopumpkins

Postby sery2831 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:49 pm

deathtopumpkins wrote:There is no CharlieCard discount though - commuter rail accepts only cash and CharlieTickets - no smartcards. The only discount is in the form of buying a monthly pass rather than single-ride, round-trip, or 10-ride tickets.

If you need a monthly pass, the mTicket Smart Phone APP does offer a discounted monthly pass. These passes run calendar month. There are no multi-ride tickets for interzone fares.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby boblothrope » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:10 pm

deathtopumpkins wrote:There is no CharlieCard discount though - commuter rail accepts only cash and CharlieTickets - no smartcards. The only discount is in the form of buying a monthly pass rather than single-ride, round-trip, or 10-ride tickets.

To clarify, the Commuter Rail does not accept stored-value CharlieTickets (the type you add money to, to pay per ride on the subway or bus). It does accept Commuter Rail tickets and passes that are printed on CharlieTicket stock.
boblothrope

Postby sery2831 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:02 pm

konrail wrote:ok so $8.00 round trip, which would be $176 for a 22 day workday month like August. Or get the monthly pass for $134 on 1 charlieticket?

hmm doesnt seem much cheaper then a car.

The monthly pass on the Mobile Phone is $124. If you want the physical pass you will need to find a retail seller to get one.

konrail wrote: know you can't take bikes on the commuter rail during peak time, but does peak time apply to p.m. inbound trains also? Getting out of work around 9:30-10:30pm it looks like I wont have an issue bringing a bike on the train (according to the MBTA website), since thats after peak time. However, going "TO" work and getting on probably the 4:38pm in Mansfield will be during the peak time of 3:30-7:00pm. Just a question of does peak time include both inbound and outbound trains, or just inbound in the a.m. and outbound in the p.m.

Going inbound in the afternoon, the bike is fine. If you look up the PDF schedule online it notes above the train number if bikes are allowed. You will see you have no issues bringing your bike on board. I am not sure how busy the trains are you going to ride, but we do not offer a lot of space for bikes.
sery2831

Postby sery2831 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:19 pm

You can get a physical ticket online, but you missed the window to get Septembers. So you will need to find a retailer to get one for Sept. The mTicket APP will allow you to purchase one at anytime. You can also use this APP to purchase one way/round trip tickets as well. If you have a smart phone, I highly recommend using this to pay. You cannot ever lose your ticket, the only requirement is you need to have the battery charged.
sery2831

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)