One more MBTA question

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

One more MBTA question

Postby gprimr1 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:49 pm

One more question from my trip to Boston.

I noticed the CSX main into Boston is two tracks, but one is in decrepit, rusty condition with weeds growing. Yet I noticed that the signal system on it is still active on it, and it looks like Yawkee is being built as a 2 track station.

Are they going to revive the 2nd track when that work is complete?
-Greg Primrose
Moderator: General Discussion: High Speed Rail Amtrak
"I'm leaving on a jet train, don't know when I'll be back again. Bags are packed and there ready to go."
Ave Atque Vale
gprimr1

Re: One more MBTA question

Postby The EGE » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:17 pm

Yes indeed. The second track was taken out of service because due to curves, one side platform at the rebuilt station is actually being placed between the tracks. It would have been very difficult to build it with the track in service.

After rebuilding, the second track will be restored through Yawkey, as well as through the just-abandoned Beacon Park Yard where the main was stolen as a yard lead decades ago.

The Worcester Line and Yawkey threads have more information and pictures if you're interested.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)