Alewife

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Alewife

Postby deathtopumpkins » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:03 pm

Robert Paniagua wrote:
gprimr1 wrote:Yeah, I'm trying to go to Ayer. :/

It could use direct access to a controlled access highway.

Actually, in fact, The Red line WAS Supposed to continue past Alewife along the median strip of the never-built Route 3 freeway, then just shy of 128, turn off Route 3 to get to Bedford. Or unless it was to continue to the Burlington Mall.

I always thought the red line was supposed to parallel the Mass Ave (Route 2A) corridor through Arlington and Lexington, ending around 128 near Hanscom? I know the Orange Line was supposed to north to around Reading...

I've never heard a plan for rapid transit along Route 3 though.
Call me Connor or DTP

Railfan & Roadgeek from the North Shore of Mass.
deathtopumpkins

Postby B&M 1227 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:13 pm

I've never heard any proposal for median service on Route 3. Going back to BERy days, they wanted to extend the Cambridge-Dorchester line past Harvard to Watertown, over toward Alewife, and then follow the B&M to a terminus in Arlington Heights built on BERy's trolley yard. This eventually developed into the extension from Harvard-Porter-Davis-Alewife with the intention of busting west to Arlington Center. Besides Arlington's opposition to the "wrong type of people" moving in, the MBTA dropped the ball, waiting until the last minute to disclose their plans to build a large parking garage between Medford and Mystic Street. Though service only ever goes as far as Alewife, the tracks curve to the north after the station and end beneath Herd Field in Arlington.
Did we ever hear a music sweeter than the one that thrills, as it floats along the Deerfield, as it echoes o'er the hills.
How we watch that little engine as it stalks across the plain; was there ever music sweeter, was there ever sight completer, than the coming of the train?
-E. A. Fitch
B&M 1227

Postby connartist88h » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:25 am

Hurd Field? That's west of Park Avenue near the reservoir. Thorndike Field would make more sense.
connartist88h

Postby CRail » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:41 am

It's under Thorndike field. Here's where the tunnel actually ends.
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby joshg1 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:54 pm

I don't now how far the plans advanced, but the story I know was the Red Line was projected to run up the B&M line through Bedford (Minuteman branch?). Lexington was all for it, town hall just waiting for the final plans to hit their desk so they could pitch in, Arlington dead set against it, and I don't know about Bedford.

So many proposals are made that generate a lot of talk but no action that it's hard to say anything was "supposed to happen". I don't doubt the RL was projected to run up unbuilt Route 3, or to that new international airport that Hanscomb didn't turn into.

Somewhat off topic- when the Tobin bridge was under construction the legislature passed a resolve to fund a study on building a double deck viaduct- 4 RR tracks on one level, divided highway on the other- all the way up to Salem. They don't seem to have funded the study, though.
joshg1

Postby wicked » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:16 pm

Study examined a couple options for Red Line north, IIRC, but the main one was Alewife-Burlington Mall along the Lexington Branch ROW to Lexington Center. Can't remember what the alignment was post-Lexington Depot. My rusty memory (read study 25 years ago) tells me that stops would have been Arlington Center, Arlington Heights, Lexington and the Mall.
wicked

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)