MBTA engine and cars to Danbury Ct?

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: MBTA engine and cars to Danbury Ct?

Postby wicked » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:47 am

I see it takes 2.5 hours New York-Albany. Timetables currently say one hour eastbound, two hours westbound between Albany and Pittsfield. So say we're talking about a 3.5-hour trip New York-Pittsfield, without any upgrades between Albany and Pittsfield. Maybe they can get that down to 3.25 hours. That'll always be the faster routing. As F-Line said, why not talk with New York state and Amtrak about extending a few Empire Service trains to Pittsfield? Maybe if you want to loop south that way to hit the southern end of the county with another stop, do that too -- but it'd still be faster than an upgraded Danbury-Pittsfield routing.
wicked

Postby boblothrope » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:58 am

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:**It is the Hingham Underpass, not a tunnel. The T purposely built it just short enough not to be classified as a tunnel so that Hingham would not get federal funds/grants for a tunnel because of the mess that they put them thru getting it built.

That's an interesting way to twist the truth. How would that get back at Hingham? It would only make the project more expensive for the T.

Here's what really happened: The T gave in to Hingham's demands, but then realized the Feds wouldn't pay for the Greenbush line because it was no longer cost-effective with the inclusion of the tunnel. So the T didn't pursue federal funding.

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/sci ... ort_o.html
"The other two branches received federal reimbursement, but the state stopped seeking federal funding for Greenbush as it became more complicated and costly with additional features such as an 800-foot tunnel to avoid disrupting Hingham Square."
boblothrope

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:22 am

NH2060 wrote:BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Sorry I just couldn't resist. This is like begging that girl who doesn't want anything to do with you to be your wife and the mother of your children... It is SO not gonna happen :-P

And in a related story someone on RR.net is searching in vain for their face after it laughed itself off into the stratosphere.. I look forward to CT responding with a "Wait what??" along with a nice big reality sandwich for MA to bite into ;-)

Yeah. The only thing CDOT wants to do with Housy are:
1) buy the Maybrook Line so there's peace in the on-again/off-again P&W vs. HRCC war, repairs can actually press forward to get that line tolerably operable so P&W's Danbury freight no longer hogs a long stretch of New Haven Line, and keep Metro North from having to deal with HRCC ever again for access across the state line.
2) buy the only stretch of HRCC-owned Berkshire Line track between Danbury and New Milford so they've got the full line up to the border under state control and have all the mileage for the future Metro North Brookfield + New Milford commuter rail extension. That is highly recommended in the Danbury Branch study and would have great ridership because US 7 is horrible through those suburbs. There is absolutely nothing recommended about continuing further north of there where the road traffic fizzes out.
3) find out what the hell happened to that pile of surplus Metro North stick rail the state donated to HRCC last year for improvements that mysteriously disappeared (probably snuck into MA for derailment repairs).

Other than that, they want nothing to do with them other than praying they go out of business without sabotaging the physical plant and hoping they can get a non-smarmy new shortline to take their place (P&W will definitely take the Danbury-Derby stretch of the Maybrook). The Danbury rail museum doesn't do regular Berkshire excursions so there's no Berkshire Scenic situation to mediate. Housy's already scared away nearly all the local business on the line. They are state-owned rails from New Milford to the border so Housy isn't selling that for scrap. And much as they would like to see the line stay intact to Pittsfield for freight, at the end of the day that's Massachusetts' problem. They only want New Milford commuter rail, peace between the three Maybrook users, and that corrupt company to get the hell out of town. There is zero state gov't movement in CT for this Berkshire service Patrick is pushing other than lots of Housy bloviating in the Patch & Wicked Local, etc. papers and maybe a "That's nice, dear" pat on the head from a DOT spokesman when pressed for comment.

That's it. This is one state, one Governor that doesn't even own any of their trackage tilting at this windmill and giving Housy more attention-whoring...which is all their company business model appears to be. It's not chumming for Berkshire County votes when the plan is so patently BS. He didn't get their Legislators' votes anyway in the transportation bill, so I'm not sure what local support this publicity stunt is supposed to stimulate other than more "That's nice, dear...you tell us when you're ready to talk about this for-real instead of for-pretend."

Glad 010 survived without a scratch. Now which way is it coming home?
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:28 pm

boblothrope wrote:
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:**It is the Hingham Underpass, not a tunnel. The T purposely built it just short enough not to be classified as a tunnel so that Hingham would not get federal funds/grants for a tunnel because of the mess that they put them thru getting it built.

That's an interesting way to twist the truth. How would that get back at Hingham? It would only make the project more expensive for the T.

Here's what really happened: The T gave in to Hingham's demands, but then realized the Feds wouldn't pay for the Greenbush line because it was no longer cost-effective with the inclusion of the tunnel. So the T didn't pursue federal funding.

"The other two branches received federal reimbursement, but the state stopped seeking federal funding for Greenbush as it became more complicated and costly with additional features such as an 800-foot tunnel to avoid disrupting Hingham Square."

just telling you what I've heard from several sources...don't believe everything you read in the papers ;)
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby daytripper1 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:27 pm

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:Glad 010 survived without a scratch. Now which way is it coming home?

It didn't survive unscathed - blew a traction motor coming back east. @ BET currently.
daytripper1

Postby Clean Cab » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:37 pm

I can't get over how Hingham fought so long to prevent trains from running through their town, then insisted that they get two stations!! That friends is 100% pure brass balls!!
I'm stuck on a sandbar on Cape Cod, and I couldn't be happier!!!
Clean Cab

Postby StephenB » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:42 am

daytripper1 wrote:
F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:Glad 010 survived without a scratch. Now which way is it coming home?

It didn't survive unscathed - blew a traction motor coming back east. @ BET currently.

I'm not a railroader, so I ask for some patience with the following question, but how does such a new locomotive lose a traction motor pulling what I assume to be such a light load, namely two or three unloaded coaches? Is the B&A mainline too tough for it, or is this just something that is bound to happen sooner or later to even a relatively new piece of equipment? (Or is this model junk?)

010 was on the Cape Flyer for a bit. I guess I now see why the T and CRTA use 2 engines away from home operating territory.
StephenB

Postby AEM7AC920 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:59 am

Traction motors are just one of those things that go from normal wear and tear. We don't know when the last time the motor was replaced on the loco so it could of been on its way out already ... I don't know the normal life on a traction motor but regardless of the age of the loco it's going to go eventually especially being used in service daily.
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920

Postby boblothrope » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:43 pm

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:
boblothrope wrote:

just telling you what I've heard from several sources...don't believe everything you read in the papers ;)

If you want me to believe you, you'll cite your sources.
boblothrope

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:16 pm

boblothrope wrote:
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:
boblothrope wrote:

If you want me to believe you, you'll cite your sources.

I could care less if you believe me. You don't have to believe anything you read on this site, or anything I type. I kindly pass along information that I know, and that I hear, along to the railfans that don't work on the RR. Several people I know, who know all about the project, inside and out, is all I'll say good sir...It's Massachusetts, not everything happens the way it is initially told to the public. Anyone who lives in this great Commonwealth knows this, and as for the media....like I said, don't take everything to heart that you read
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby piker » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:26 am

So who caused this to happen and why? The governor surely didn't just call up last monday and order up a train. How could it be just political, there must be other interested parties and organizations involved. I can see HRRC jumping at this but what does the T get for their trouble? There must be something else to it. Can't we work up some kind of decent conspiracy theory?
piker

Postby joshg1 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:11 pm

I have an illustrative anecdote about the world of political leaders, so bear with me. In my youth I was involved with the other CR- the College Republicans. We had a state get together and at the party after I said something about how slick the CR chairman was. The woman I spoke to looked at me as if I told her Santa performed abortions in the off season. She sputtered something about what a great man he was and walked away. A great man- 22 and already the shiny blue suit and glad handing smiling patter. Deval's staff is composed of women like that.

Deval Patrick goes to a barbecue at a neighbor/donor's house and a guy in madras shorts and a pink Polo shirt hands him an artisanal craft brew and that report about $344million in new business over 10 years. Governor Patrick tells his staff to organize a train and a speech, and they haven't heard a better idea since he suggested they open a window. They get on the phone and call the T, the DOT, and MBCR, and to a (wo)man the person on the other end of the phone paused, as if being told s/he was going to give birth to a haddock, then screwed up their faces and said, "What?"

That's the how, we know the why (why not? I'm not paying for it). I want to know how was this somewhat expensive speech backdrop paid for? I introduced the concept of opportunity cost on another thread. What isn't going to happen because the money was spent on this publicity stunt?
joshg1

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)