MBTA engine and cars to Danbury Ct?

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

MBTA engine and cars to Danbury Ct?

Postby Clean Cab » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:58 pm

I just got word that MBTA MP-36 #010 and several coaches will be operating down the Shoreline to South Norwalk Ct. then head up Danbury Ct. Anyone have any more info on why this unusual move is being made?
I'm stuck on a sandbar on Cape Cod, and I couldn't be happier!!!
Clean Cab

Re: MBTA engine and cars to Danbury Ct?

Postby sery2831 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:35 pm

I see they have a special event Aug. 3. Any chance it's a special display for that?
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby Clean Cab » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:49 pm

That could be, but why would they need/send it so early?
Clean Cab

Postby sery2831 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:57 pm

When do you hear this happening? #010 was at BET over the past weekend.
sery2831

Postby Clean Cab » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:16 pm

I received and e mail from a friend yesterday. He asked me if I knew anything about it, and after making a few phones I got only the fewest of facts. Now I'm asking the people on both this forum and the MN/CDOT forum as well if they can provide us all with more information.
Clean Cab

Postby sery2831 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:36 pm

I pretty much only read this forum, so feel free to keep us updated on here... 010 is showing in service on the North Side currently, but I cannot confirm that until tomorrow.
sery2831

Postby sery2831 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:34 pm

I just took a peak at your thread in the MN Forum. MassDOT wants to push a commuter service from Pittsfield to NYC. This is looking like a PR move for that if the train is to go beyond Danbury/MN Territory.
sery2831

Postby NH2060 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:24 am

sery2831 wrote:I just took a peak at your thread in the MN Forum. MassDOT wants to push a commuter service from Pittsfield to NYC. This is looking like a PR move for that if the train is to go beyond Danbury/MN Territory.

If so then that's got to be the biggest waste of time and equipment. I'm sure Fall River and New Bedford would be just thrilled to hear about this...

Now considering the territory the equipment will travel through before heading up the Danbury Branch and the Berkshire Line, and with the recent success of the CapeFLYER, this could have been a great opportunity and better use of time, resources, etc. to promote a Metro NY (i.e. Hunterspoint Avenue/New Rochelle/Stamford)-Hyannis CapeFLYER. But c'est la vie. Will still be a special treat to see T equipment venture this far south!
NH2060

Postby Mcoov » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:50 am

The PR event I get, but why wouldn't they use MN equipment for this service?
Mcoov

Postby NH2060 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:11 am

Mcoov wrote:The PR event I get, but why wouldn't they use MN equipment for this service?

That's the $64,000 question. They'd have to use MNR's P32 dual modes AND have MNR crews at the controls at least south of Danbury of they wanted to start up even 5+ years from now. And since an engine change at Danbury just isn't going to happen any Pittsfield-GCT service is a train to nowhere unless MassDOT plans to budget in dual modes of their own and piggyback on any MNR order for P32 replacements/compliments AND get an agreement with MNR for crews. The only good MBTA equipment would do in this case is using whatever Bombardier BTC/CTC cars are replaced by the new Rotems for Pittsfield-GCT trains.

Might I also add this is just not happening without some SERIOUS money throw at the Berkshire Line in both CT and MA. Commuter trains from Springfield to Boston are more plausible and that's saying something given the owner of the B&A to Worcester..
NH2060

Postby Clean Cab » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:43 am

Strange how in these days of states having barely enough money to keep their commuter rail systems operating, there is money to be spent on something like this which smells more like a publicity stunt rather than a serious effort to establish passenger train service. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge supporter of expanding passenger rail service, but Pittsfield to GCT would be so expensive and take so many years just to bring the tracks up to realistic speeds, that it hardly seems worth it. Plus, I just can't imagine when they money would come from for buying new cars and engines, building stations, parking lots, adding interlockings and dispatching controls. Even if the vast amount of money was available and work was to start this year, the project would be bogged down by NIMBY's and towns along the right of way. Need I remind us all of the nightmare MBTA had getting the tracks built through Hingham?
Clean Cab

Postby TomNelligan » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:14 am

Clean Cab wrote:Strange how in these days of states having barely enough money to keep their commuter rail systems operating, there is money to be spent on something like this which smells more like a publicity stunt rather than a serious effort to establish passenger train service.

Yep, that's the background. The proposal for restoration of passenger service on the Danbury-Pittsfield line was just a pork barrel stunt by the governor attempting to get western Massachusetts legislators to vote for his big tax increase. Since that original plan has thankfully been voted down and replaced by a more modest spending plan -- for many of us Massachusetts voters, it's amazing to think that the legislature would actually decline an opportunity to spend more of our money -- it's a dead issue for the foreseeable future, at least as regards funding from Massachusetts.
TomNelligan

Postby Clean Cab » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:54 am

I just can't understand how MBTA can operate trains on the Berkshire Line that is so far removed from the rest of their operations? It'd make more sense for MN/CDOT to operate that service. But they to aren't exactly swimming in cash either. Especially CDOT!!!
Clean Cab

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:15 pm

This is even more pointless than last month's timing test from Worcester to Foxboro on the Framingham Secondary for some pol's fantasy of trying to add a third Pats Game Day train. Plus there's the obvious: THREE DERAILMENTS IN LESS THAN YEAR on HRCC. Why are they even incurring the liability of sending their newest loco and a bunch of active revenue equipment in daily use to New England's most dangerous mainline track???

And then there's the veto override by the Legislature of Patrick's grand transit funding scheme. The Berkshire was always looking like a total nonstarter on the bill's original project list. Now it is going to be the very first cut.

I mean, I could see bringing some T equipment (maybe "Mr. Commuter Rail #1000") to Danbury for a train day at the museum...they don't get to see a lot of non- New York-centric equipment there so it would be a crowd-booster, and it's good PR to be nice to the region's non-profit museums every once in awhile. But this cynical political dog-and-pony show is an utterly pointless waste of time.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby amtrakhogger » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:55 pm

Uh, why not extend some Amtrak Springfield shuttles to Pittsfield? Wouldn't that be easier? IMO, Pittsfield to GCT is a little ridiculous.
"I will stop at St. Avold."
amtrakhogger

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)