MBTA: Ridership Slightly Down

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

MBTA: Ridership Slightly Down

Postby NH2060 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:34 pm

NH2060

Re: MBTA: Ridership Slightly Down

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:24 pm

I bet a few tenths of a percent of that deficit were racked up during the Blizzard, Marathon Bombings, and Marathon Manhunt system-wide shutdowns.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby MBTA3247 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:10 pm

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:I bet a few tenths of a percent of that deficit were racked up during the Blizzard, Marathon Bombings, and Marathon Manhunt system-wide shutdowns.

If they did things properly, those events would have been excluded from the data because they represent such massive deviations from the norm.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby BostonUrbEx » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:12 am

Ridership down and fare revenue is up. My guess is more people are taking more expensive portions of the system (like express buses and commuter rail) but alot less subway and local bus? I know Melrose Highlands has been filling up in the parking lot lately, and the last time that happened was right before the fare hikes of 2012. There's also a big campaign to reduce fare evasions, so that helps of course.

I'm also wondering if gas prices are responsible. Supposedly fracking is currently holding gas prices down by a very pretty penny this year.
BostonUrbEx

Postby diburning » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:07 am

Well, ridership can't increase forever...
diburning

Postby octr202 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:14 am

BostonUrbEx wrote:Ridership down and fare revenue is up. My guess is more people are taking more expensive portions of the system (like express buses and commuter rail) but alot less subway and local bus? I know Melrose Highlands has been filling up in the parking lot lately, and the last time that happened was right before the fare hikes of 2012. There's also a big campaign to reduce fare evasions, so that helps of course.

I'm also wondering if gas prices are responsible. Supposedly fracking is currently holding gas prices down by a very pretty penny this year.

Interesting observation - I've been feeling like the opposite is true, riding from the outer zones of the same line. I've felt like my trains aren't as crowded as they used to be (of course this time of year the ridership as a whole drops off).

I'd be really interested to see how those expensive portions of the system are performing, especially off-peak and weekend commuter rail. If we start seeing declines in off-peak ridership, it does start to raise the question of whether off-peak fares are needed.
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby CircusFreakGRITZ » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:22 am

I've noticed many green line trains open all doors during off peak hours and people sneak in the back. This could also cause a "decrease" in ridership. Or perhaps more people are buying weekly passes BECAUSE the fares are higher, and being waved onto the bus or green line without their trips being counted.
CircusFreakGRITZ

Postby BostonUrbEx » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:18 pm

octr202 wrote:
BostonUrbEx wrote:Ridership down and fare revenue is up. My guess is more people are taking more expensive portions of the system (like express buses and commuter rail) but alot less subway and local bus? I know Melrose Highlands has been filling up in the parking lot lately, and the last time that happened was right before the fare hikes of 2012. There's also a big campaign to reduce fare evasions, so that helps of course.

Interesting observation - I've been feeling like the opposite is true, riding from the outer zones of the same line. I've felt like my trains aren't as crowded as they used to be (of course this time of year the ridership as a whole drops off).

I'd be really interested to see how those expensive portions of the system are performing, especially off-peak and weekend commuter rail. If we start seeing declines in off-peak ridership, it does start to raise the question of whether off-peak fares are needed.

Hmm, interesting. With the exception of today (lots of seats?!), the 258 (only coming from Reading) has been crammed full every morning. Just the other week, there was a crowd of 10 of us standing at just one end of the cab car, and more standing at the other end.
BostonUrbEx

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)