Rockport Station Improvements Planned (Again)

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Rockport Station Improvements Planned (Again)

Postby NH2060 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:04 pm

NH2060

Re: Rockport Station Improvements Planned (Again)

Postby NH2060 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:56 pm

NH2060

Postby BostonUrbEx » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:38 pm

I wish they would move the layover yard to somewhere in the area of the former steam engine loop track. Then make a proper station (nothing fancy, but just not crappy like it is now) and cram in TOD around it.
BostonUrbEx

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:25 pm

BostonUrbEx wrote:I wish they would move the layover yard to somewhere in the area of the former steam engine loop track. Then make a proper station (nothing fancy, but just not crappy like it is now) and cram in TOD around it.

Wetlands. The loop area is surrounded by wetlands, there's a stream paralleling the tracks from Pooles Ln. down to Loop Pond, and the whole area between Eastern Ave. and the 128 underpass in Gloucester is Babson Reservoir watershed with the tracks splitting the reservoir on one side and a stream on the other for the whole length. Couldn't build anywhere else if they wanted to. That's why this layover is spot-on unchanged way back to topo maps from the 1880's.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby sery2831 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:09 am

They had drawings of the layover at the piggery crossing. They have enough room to build on there.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby theseaandalifesaver » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:33 am

Was the station always as simple as it is now?
theseaandalifesaver

Postby The EGE » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:45 am

There was a small station building, typical for the Eastern, there until the 1950s. Bare platform after that, mini-high installed in 2006. I wrote a pretty complete history on the Wikipedia article.

1911 postcard of the station, from Wikimedia Commons
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby BandM4266 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:12 am

Thanks for sharing the photo of the station The EGE! Back a few years ago they had an archeological dig of the site done. It was very neat to see the old turn table that was there which puts the center of it under the paced easterly section of the platform with the center line marked by a white dot. Then just a few inches under the pavement was the foundation of the old steam shed and another item they where looking for. The group doing the work explained that they had unearthed the Whitman facility's on the old colony line.

As far as staion renovation goes the Pooles lane crossing needs some TLC as the main line has sunken well below grade of the pavement and when driving over it at slow speed is enough to over time cause a craked windshield as I have had to replace on numerous occasions
BandM4266

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)