Hank Investigates: Noisy MBTA trains

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Hank Investigates: Noisy MBTA trains

Postby Teamdriver » Sat May 18, 2013 5:27 am

Teamdriver

Re: Hank Investigates: Noisy MBTA trains

Postby Disney Guy » Sat May 18, 2013 6:41 am

I still remember the deafening roar as the pre-1960's Red Line trains hurtled through the Cambridge subway with all the windows open.

Can't watch videos, take too long to download onto my computer.
(To the theater stage manager) Quit twiddling the knob and flickering the lights while the audience is entering and being seated. (To the subway motorman) Quit twiddling the knob and dinging the doors while passengers are getting off and others are waiting to board.
Disney Guy

Postby BostonUrbEx » Sat May 18, 2013 7:24 am

How about the brakes on the new Rotem cars? Holy moley!
BostonUrbEx

Postby Type7trolley » Sat May 18, 2013 1:05 pm

Why do they keep referring to it as brake noise? Do they just assume the operators are dragging their brakes through every curve? I mean the T flat out told them the cause of the noise and they still got it wrong.

I also like how they're engineers now... it's a step up from conductors I guess.
Type7trolley

Postby CircusFreakGRITZ » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:57 am

Pesaturo is full of *. It's not "dangerous" to grease the rails.
CircusFreakGRITZ

Postby DutchRailnut » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:55 pm

depends what part of rail is greased.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:54 pm

CircusFreakGRITZ wrote:Pesaturo is full of *.

This is true as the sky is blue.

It's not "dangerous" to grease the rails.

That's a technical question with many possible answers. None of which I would trust coming out of Pesaturo's mouth (but we knew that...).
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby sery2831 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:21 am

Grease not only reduces noise but it extends the life of the rail and wheels. It's something that should be used on all tight curves in the subway!
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby 3rdrail » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:00 am

Hmm...for my money, I would say that grease would definitely have an effect on braking distance. Why wouldn't it ? The very action of braking is caused by friction as a force. You remove some of the friction, you change the quotient for the braking equation. If anything, perhaps go to what was used at North Station on the Main Line El - water sprinklers. Water will also lengthen braking distance, but unlike grease it quickly dissipates by evaporation and absorbtion. Better yet, leave it the hell alone. It probably doesn't bother anyone and it sounds cool.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby AEM7AC920 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:17 am

It wouldn't impact braking distance much, you are greasing the flange of the wheel only not the tread which still sits completely ontop of the rail.
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920

Postby 3rdrail » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:32 pm

AEM7AC920 wrote:It wouldn't impact braking distance much, you are greasing the flange of the wheel only not the tread which still sits completely ontop of the rail.

You realize that a flange on a streetcar is roughly 3/8 of an inch in height, right ? Is your grease laser guided because any grease that I have ever seen spreads, especially if immense pressure is put upon it, to adjoining surfaces such as a rail head.
~Paul Joyce~

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby octr202 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:01 am

On tight curves and loops, a big part is greasing the restraining rail, so there the grease is ending up on the inside of the wheel flange. Track grease is pretty thick stuff, so it also doesn't travel too far.

The stuff we're using up at Seashore is actually soy-based, much more environmentally friendly but it does wash out in the rain (it's water-soluble).
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby AEM7AC920 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:08 am

3rdrail wrote:
AEM7AC920 wrote:It wouldn't impact braking distance much, you are greasing the flange of the wheel only not the tread which still sits completely ontop of the rail.

You realize that a flange on a streetcar is roughly 3/8 of an inch in height, right ? Is your grease laser guided because any grease that I have ever seen spreads, especially if immense pressure is put upon it, to adjoining surfaces such as a rail head.

Which still doesn't significantally impact braking distance enough to cause problems or trains to miss stops.
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920

Postby Disney Guy » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:53 pm

Greasing the restraining rail lengthens the life of the inside of the wheel flange and said restraining rail since most of the force needed to make the train go around the curve is exerted there.

But so long as the 3/8" or so of tread to rail head contact is maintained by both wheels on a given axle, slippage of at least one of the wheels on its respective rail, and therefore noise, will occur when that wheelset takes a curve.
(To the theater stage manager) Quit twiddling the knob and flickering the lights while the audience is entering and being seated. (To the subway motorman) Quit twiddling the knob and dinging the doors while passengers are getting off and others are waiting to board.
Disney Guy

Postby 3rdrail » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:01 pm

AEM7AC920 wrote:
3rdrail wrote:

Which still doesn't significantally impact braking distance enough to cause problems or trains to miss stops.

And, you know this, how ?
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)