Back of the Hill Station (Green Line)

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Back of the Hill Station (Green Line)

Postby gprimr1 » Tue May 07, 2013 2:47 pm

What kind of area is the Back of the Hill Green Line station?

I am going to a conference in Boston this July and I am looking at a hotel that apparently is a stone's throw to the stop at Back of the Hill.

Is it a safe area? Is the service reliable? How late does it run?
-Greg Primrose
Moderator: General Discussion: High Speed Rail Amtrak
"I'm leaving on a jet train, don't know when I'll be back again. Bags are packed and there ready to go."
Ave Atque Vale
gprimr1

Re: Back of the Hill Station (Green Line)

Postby The EGE » Tue May 07, 2013 3:10 pm

Back of the Hill is the least-there MBTA stop of all - no signage, just a lone bus shelter. It's easier just to walk a few steps to Heath Street station, where there's a small shelter.

E branch service runs on the following headways:
Rush hour: 6 minutes
Midday: 8 minutes
Evening: 10 minutes
Night: 14 minutes
Saturday: 10 minutes
Sunday: 12 minutes

E branch service is not the most reliable, but it'll get you there. There's also the 39 bus, which may be more convenient depending on where you're going.

It's a pretty safe area. The VA Medical Center is right there.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby BostonUrbEx » Tue May 07, 2013 3:25 pm

I work for a transportation company which has a contract with the VA hospital (Heath St Station, litterally across the street) and I work in the office that the company got there. So I'm there all the time now, and it's very safe. With colleges out now, it will certainly be much more quiet. The area around Back of the Hill is full of apartments which college students pack into, and alot of college kids use the E Line. But even still, it's a decent area even during the semester. I wouldn't walk very far down Heath St at night, but stick to Huntington Ave and you're fine.

I recommend Joseph's Pizza, at 8 S Huntington, near the intersection of Huntington and South Huntington. It's open laaaate if you get the munchies. Specifically if you're looking for some good buffalo mozzerella sticks. ;)
BostonUrbEx

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Tue May 07, 2013 6:11 pm

This also a true street running section of the Green Line - not unlike SEPTA's Subway-Surface cars.

What is the origin of the "Back of the Hill" name?
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby Teamdriver » Tue May 07, 2013 6:36 pm

Back of Mission Hill probably.......
Teamdriver

Postby gprimr1 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:59 pm

Great. I was between that and a hotel in Revere but this one is so close. (I have to book with Choice Hotels, I can pick up bookoo points for future free trips.)

It looks like this is easy access to Hynes Convention Center.
-Greg Primrose
"I'm leaving on a jet train, don't know when I'll be back again. Bags are packed and there ready to go."
Ave Atque Vale
gprimr1

Postby diburning » Wed May 08, 2013 1:20 am

It's not the safest place in the world, but I don't feel particularly unsafe in that neighborhood although the crime rate suggests otherwise.
diburning

Postby jwhite07 » Wed May 08, 2013 6:41 am

I lived a short way up the hill from there, on Fisher Avenue, for about a year and a half in the mid 1990s. From what I understand, the area's a lot better now than it was when I lived there, and I never had any issues.
jwhite07

Postby gprimr1 » Wed May 08, 2013 10:27 am

I doubt I'd be walking around the neighborhood that much, just using the transit system to go to the convention center.

Unfortunately MA requires a license to own even pepper spray.

Now I'll have to start looking up places to watch trains in Boston, since the conference ends at 430. :)
-Greg Primrose
Ave Atque Vale
gprimr1

Postby TrainManTy » Wed May 08, 2013 2:41 pm

gprimr1 wrote:Now I'll have to start looking up places to watch trains in Boston, since the conference ends at 430. :)

I'm getting off-topic now, but if you're looking for commuter rail action I recommend the North Bank Bridge at the throat of North Station.
http://iridethet.blogspot.com/2012/10/wednesday-wanderings-north-bank-bridge.html
Tyler

All posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak for any organizations on this board.
TrainManTy

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Wed May 08, 2013 4:45 pm

gprimr1 wrote:Great. I was between that and a hotel in Revere but this one is so close. (I have to book with Choice Hotels, I can pick up bookoo points for future free trips.)

The E branch does not stop at Hynes. Change to a outbound train at Arlington (no crossover between directions at Copley) or walk from Prudential.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby 3rdrail » Wed May 08, 2013 4:50 pm

I saw the safety issue and felt compelled to jump in. For many years, I was the patrol supervisor for the District covering the area (13). Areas to avoid. Daytime/Nightime- Heath St. avoid altogether. South Huntington Centre to Heath is fine. South Huntington north of Heath is ok, although I would avoid it after dark and during the day, the west side of the street is safer.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby wicked » Wed May 08, 2013 7:19 pm

Back of the Hill was (is?) the name of the apartment complex there, which itself refers to Mission Hill.

I don't feel really "unsafe" around there. The area, especially on the other side of the Hill, has cleaned up tons from what it was 20 years ago.

And if you want a slice, Penguin Pizza in Brigham Circle isn't a shabby place.
wicked

Postby SM89 » Wed May 08, 2013 9:35 pm

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
gprimr1 wrote:Great. I was between that and a hotel in Revere but this one is so close. (I have to book with Choice Hotels, I can pick up bookoo points for future free trips.)

The E branch does not stop at Hynes. Change to a outbound train at Arlington (no crossover between directions at Copley) or walk from Prudential.

Just walk to the D branch stop at Brookline Village. It shouldn't take any longer than 10 minutes from Back of the Hill.
SM89

Postby 3rdrail » Wed May 08, 2013 9:53 pm

wicked wrote:

I don't feel really "unsafe" around there. The area, especially on the other side of the Hill, has cleaned up tons from what it was 20 years ago.

And if you want a slice, Penguin Pizza in Brigham Circle isn't a shabby place.

Agreed. A lot of the problems were coming out of the Bromley-Heath Projects. Then, sometime in the 90's, the Boston Housing Authority devised an ingenious plan that evicted tenants from Bromley-Heath if a resident was caught dealing drugs or an apartment found to be the location where drugs were being dispensed. Afterwards, Trespass Notices were given out, making it arrestible to be found on the property. By and large, a lot of the creepy crawlers left, and as you say, the area was relatively cleaned up. I italicized "relatively because it's still a tough place. I wouldn't walk through it without a pistol and a walkie. Try "Same Old Place" in the other direction up on Centre for lunch.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)