Wildcat Track Work

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Wildcat Track Work

Postby Stephen » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:23 pm

In theory this could also go on the New England Forum (or Amtrak or Pan Am)... But since most of the volume on the Wildcat route in Wilmington is MBTA I put it here, please feel free to move this wherever is preferred.

So, this weekend they (MBCR/MBTA) installed CWR on the southern end of the Wildcat branch. I am not sure how far up the worked, but I know they started at Main Street (routes 38/129) which is more or less where the branch diverges from the Boston-Lowell Line and made it at least well past Clark Street (maybe much further towards).

The interesting part is that at about 7:30 tonight (Sunday) they started running an MBTA train set back and forth on the line. It has gone back and forth at least 20 times. It is an interesting test to hear (I can hear the line from my house); this must be what its like to live on Beacon Hill above the Red Line.

Have a good one,
Stephen
Stephen

Re: Wildcat Track Work

Postby AEM7AC920 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:50 pm

That would be the rust buster you hear, the purpose is to clear the rust off the new installed rail.
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920

Postby Stephen » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:43 pm

AEM7AC920 wrote:That would be the rust buster you hear, the purpose is to clear the rust off the new installed rail.

Well, the rust was thoroughly busted... They kept running back and forth until at least 10:30 pm. At some points they made the round trip in less than 10 minutes so it must have been a very short stretch of new rail.

Stephen
Stephen

Postby diburning » Wed May 01, 2013 6:33 pm

Amtrak isn't selling tickets out of North Station right now. Is it because of the Wildcat work? If not, then is there work going on on the Haverhill or Lowell lines? Will weekend MBTA Haverhill service be disrupted?
diburning

Postby sery2831 » Wed May 01, 2013 7:36 pm

Can you be more specific about 'right now'? As in you cannot make a reservation on-line for a certain date or dates?
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby diburning » Wed May 01, 2013 8:17 pm

Oops, sorry, I meant weekends.

Amtrak has all of the trains out of Boston cancelled on weekends; last weekend, this weekend, and next weekend, with trains departing and terminating in Haverhill.
diburning

Postby highgreen215 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:01 pm

I understood that the Downeaster was cancelled last weekend for bridge work, but will be running this weekend. It is supposed to be cancelled again for the following weekend. Is it being cancelled for three weekends in a row? That's not what I heard.
highgreen215

Postby Dick H » Wed May 01, 2013 9:17 pm

This coming weekend, May 4-5, the Shawsheen River Bridge Project will not be closing the line, as originally announced.
Got to Amtrak.com, and you will find all Downeasters running as a normal weekend. Only difference is that they will
be honoring the $5.00 one way fare between all stations from Haverhill to Brunswick, as originally announced.
Tickets to and from Boston from All stations will be a regular fare.

Friday, May 10th, Trains #688 and #689 are cancelled.

Next weekend, May 11-12, the Shawsheen River Bridge Project will close the line. No Downeaster train service to/from
Woburn and Boston. Some trains will operate to/from Haverhill and Brunswick with the $5.00 one way special fare.
http://www.amtrakdowneaster.com/LimitedService

There will be an observance of National Train Day at Brunswick on May 11th, 11AM to 4PM
http://www.amtrakdowneaster.com/sites/d ... lyer_2.pdf

Update: At the moment (5/1 10:15PM) #691 is showing sold out between Haverhill and Portland and Brunswick.
Dick H

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)