MBTA Old Colony Line

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: MBTA Old Colony Line

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Thu May 01, 2014 11:20 am

The ViRoCo wrote:
GP40MC1118 wrote:Cape Flyer qualifying runs....

D

This was actually a train for the press conference held in Hyannis yesterday.

and qualifying runs...#1 reason for the runs to Hyannis
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby The ViRoCo » Sun May 04, 2014 8:46 am

The Sperry Car is currently on the Old Colony line now, southbound to the Cape. Proceeding from MP26 to Mid and Pilgrim and then I would think Bay.
The ViRoCo

Postby The ViRoCo » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:03 pm

There is a snow flanger train on the Middleboro line now. It is about to turn in Middleboro and head north.
The ViRoCo

Postby The ViRoCo » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:10 pm

Are there any maps on the internet that show the different points on the Middleboro/Lakeville line with mileposts? (points like "Stanley" or "Westdale")
The ViRoCo

Postby dbperry » Mon May 25, 2015 9:05 pm

http://www.dbperry.net/mbtacommuterrailnetwork.pdf
is from September 1993 so it is really out-of-date. Has some interlocking points on it.

http://www.oxfordjunction.com/csx001.html
is from 2004, so it is also quite dated, but the track charts (click on the sample page) are really handy even if the schedules are no longer accurate. I still use my copy quite a bit to look up interlocking names. And yes, it has "Stanley" and "Westdale" interlockings listed.
dbperry

Postby The EGE » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:08 am

MBTA and Keolis are finally looking at the weird Kingston - Plymouth trains. On weekdays there are three daily trains that run outbound to Kingston, run in to Seaside interlocking and out to Plymouth (simultaneously an inbound and outbound train on the schedule!), and then finally run inbound to Boston. That leaves a large swath of the day that it takes two hours rather than one to get from Kingston to Boston. Weekend service is similar, though two of those three run Boston-Plymouth-Kingston-Boston instead.

Running an equal number of trains from each terminus is probably not likely. My crazy solution is to run all trains to Kingston, then build a real basic transfer station at Seaside interlocking (similar to the temporary Devon Transfer that MNRR used) and run a Seaside-Plymouth dinky with a single RDC or something. Perhaps Plymouth could be convinced to re-extend rails to downtown if it was a much smaller train.
The EGE

Postby dowlingm » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:41 am

There seem to be some possible alternative dispositions for the Plymouth branch but given the length and ferocity the Princeton Dinky thread exploded into... (Plymouth station wasn't featured on Family Ties too, was it?)
dowlingm

Postby RRCOMM » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:51 pm

The NIMBY's killed the chance of the line serving down-town Plymouth with all it's potential tourist patronage. The "Plymouth" station consists of a platform behind an abandoned Walmart several miles from Plymouth center. It's a 5 minute drive from there to Kingston station. There is already a local transit bus. Logic would dictate mothballing the Plymouth station until or if it gets extended to down-town. If you really want trains to go from Plymouth to Kingston stations efficiently a WYE track would be needed

The situation was a politically driven compromise that gets no one the service that should be expected.
RRCOMM

Postby MBTA3247 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:26 pm

Installing a wye at Seaside is impossible without grabbing some land through eminent domain.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby The EGE » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:30 pm

You could do it without taking anything more than the Budweiser warehouse. That's movable to elsewhere near 3 and 3A. The abutters probably wouldn't mind trading a dozen or so trains a day for getting trucks off their neighborhood streets.
The EGE

Postby RRCOMM » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:28 pm

The Budweiser warehouse was the proposed site for the park and ride. When I worked on the project the rumour was that the T would not take the property because it was a minority owned business. That's how we wound up in the Kingston gravel pit. Combined with the NIMBY's squatting on the ROW on the way to Plymouth gets us today's dysfunction. Note: if you want to squat on or near a T owned ROW make sure you build an expensive house and have political connections. I also seem to remember part of the deal is legislation that "protects" the the remaining ROW from being used for a railroad. Sorry if anyone remembers me posting this previously.
RRCOMM

Postby BostonUrbEx » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:51 pm

So you're saying the MBTA cannot evict and demolish a residence on its own right-of-way? That sounds pathetic. I imagine it more a case of being lazy and not bothering than actual law.
BostonUrbEx

Postby The EGE » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:00 pm

No, the warehouse is on privately owned land that is not and never was on the right-of-way. Would eminent domain have been a viable option? Yes - the business could have been relocated for the public good. But political connections won out over common sense.
The EGE

Postby YamaOfParadise » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:12 pm

I imagine he's talking about the encroachment in towards Plymouth. But at the end of the day, the end-game is still the same: with enough money, power, and connections, anything is possible. Moreover, going into Plymouth, it doesn't help that it isn't just that the track was inactive... it was/is completely gone and abandoned.
Consider contributing detailed railway data to OpenStreetMap for use in OpenRailwayMap!
YamaOfParadise

Postby BandA » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:11 pm

YamaOfParadise wrote:I imagine he's talking about the encroachment in towards Plymouth. But at the end of the day, the end-game is still the same: with enough money, power, and connections, anything is possible. Moreover, going into Plymouth, it doesn't help that it isn't just that the track was inactive... it was/is completely gone and abandoned.
If it's no longer a railroad, it wasn't railbanked, and if it is privately owned, someone can squat on it for 20 years and they own it by adverse possession, I think.
BandA

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)