Copley Square Explosion 4/15/13

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Copley Square Explosion 4/15/13

Postby BigUglyCat » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:59 pm

I'm going to ask the stupid (?) question: why is Copley station still closed?
BigUglyCat

Postby The EGE » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:28 pm

BigUglyCat wrote:I'm going to ask the stupid (?) question: why is Copley station still closed?

The entire area around Copley Square is closed for the investigation, to find small fragments and such. There's nowhere to go from the station.
The EGE

Postby MACTRAXX » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:55 pm

3rdrail wrote:
Mbta fan wrote:Hope everyone is ok in ur families. Mass ave bridge is still closed as of 10pm. Shout out to all Boston police, fire, ems and everyone who helped the injured right after the bombs went off. There was a swat truck outside of brigham and women's hospital around 8:30-9 tonight. Im glad I stayed home today and watched the marathon on tv.

First Newtown and now this. You're not safe anywhere anymore. I know everyone around here will pull through this.
As I said on twitter earlier today "don't mess with our city". Someone actually used FDR's famous line from December 8th 1941 and as FDR once said "this day will live in infamy".

Boston will grow stronger and won't be put down. Hope everyone's family is ok and made it home safely today.
On a side note I hope 3rdrail(Paul) is ok and wasn't down in that area of boyalston st when the blast happened.

Flags are probably gonna be at halfstaff this week or for at least a few days.

Hi MBTA fan
Just saw this post. I want you to know that I have expressed your kind expressed feelings regarding our city to many who work here and I have been told to thank you. You are very correct that you "don't mess with our city". These criminals who have hurt us will be captured very soon, the same ones who were brazen enough to plant a device, run, and have it kill two girls and a small child.
On a personal note, thank you for your concern regarding my well being. I am fine. I've spent my time trying to undue the effects of the deranged. About the only police work that I do now is over the telephone since I have been retired since 2006 when I was injured in the line of duty. My heart does go out to the victims of this horrendous act, particularly the little boy personally, and everyone affected overall. To the RRN Community- You are my friends and comrades who I have grown to admire, love, and respect. Please be safe in your own activities within reason, but mainly, go out, have fun, and enjoy trains !

Paul and Everyone: Good thoughts here to all of us watching the turn of events in Boston and vicinity from afar...

I had a feeling that once suspects were identified things would go fast...but not in the way things turned out with the violence and lockdowns noted...

I will offer condolences to the four people who lost their lives needlessly first and all those wounded starting with that MBTA TP Officer...

This shows the resilience of those in New England to very adverse circumstances and shows that we will stand up to those who will do us
harm...This made me think of the Gloria Gaynor disco hit from the late 70s "I Will Survive" but in this instance the word "We" will survive!

Thoughts from MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby 3rdrail » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:30 pm

BUC - The bombs were powerful. Police are recovering fragments from them on the roofs of buildings in that entire area. Also, every square inch of the subway will have to be examined carefully to make sure that there are no other devices planted. Thank you for your words, MACTRAXX. Amazingly, both officers injured by the bombers, were friends, having gone through the same (Transit) Police Academy Class together. Here is their photo together. On the left is P.O. Richard Donohue of the Transit Police Department who is currently in critical condition at a local hospital and P.O. Sean Collier of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Police Department, who succumbed to his wounds, having been found deceased in his cruiser. I encourage anyone to join me in saying a small prayer for both officers tonight for P. O. Donohue to make a swift and full recovery and for P. O. Collier to be welcomed at the right hand of God.
Attachments
PODonahue-Collier.jpg
PODonahue-Collier.jpg (24 KiB) Viewed 1341 times
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby BigUglyCat » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:34 pm

Thank you to EGE and 3RD RAIL for explanations. :)
BigUglyCat

Postby Teamdriver » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:48 am

An aside to the evil and destruction ,
Teamsters gather outside Medford church to shield Krystle M. Campbell’s funeral Mass from possible Westboro Baptist church protesters
MEDFORD - Some 200 members of Teamsters Local 25 members began gathering at St. Joseph’s Church before 8 a.m. today, promising to block protesters from the Westboro Baptist Church if they follow through on a threat to picket the funeral of Krystle M. Campbell, who died in the Boston Marathon bombings.

Campbell’s funeral Mass is set for 11 a.m., a week after the bombings.

Sean O’Brien, president and principal officer of Teamster’s local, said the community reached out to the Teamsters yesterday “because they know how influential we are.”

http://boston.com/metrodesk/2013/04/22/ ... story.html
Teamdriver

Postby Rbts Stn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:30 am

And I read that it was MBTA officers who got the suspect out of the boat and did the arresting!
Rbts Stn

Postby 3rdrail » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:16 pm

Rbts Stn wrote:And I read that it was MBTA officers who got the suspect out of the boat and did the arresting!

Actually, it was my friend and fellow class-mate, Boston Police Superintendent Billy Evans who led two Boston Police Officers to the boat after it's owner called in that he detected an abnormality. Calls were deluging 911 centers everywhere and this was one more. When Evans' group pulled back the tarp after seeing the blood, they saw the suspect and there was an exchange of gunfire. As a testimony of Evan' s cool under pressure, he backed off with his men and the FBI SWAT Team took over. They were not sure at this time if this suspect was wearing a "suicide vest" or not possibly armed with bombs. There's no doubt in my mind that other departments assisted as there was one mindset of blue present there that evening and soon, the suspect realized the folly of continuing his attacks and gave himself up.

Just to make the persons not used to court jargon when hearing about the complaints on TV, know that he is being charged currently with the Federal Complaints which can carry the death penalty, first. Later, he should be charged with the state charges of Murder, Attempted Murder, etc. Also, when you hear in the complaint that an item such as a hat is described as "similar", it is not what is conjured in a civilians mind. To a civilian, that suggests unknowing or not being sure or exact, when in fact for an item which has no prior examination either in whole or part is the best that it gets forensically. The reason being is that in order for something to be stated that it is identical or the same as another thing, it must be examined in an equipped laboratory, and then, and only then declared as the same. Where the cap was only seen first on video, such a statement can't be made. DA's are trained better than that, as as soon as an A.D.A. asked "Was" that the cap (that you saw ?) that at sometime later, someone on the Defense team would sit down where the jury could see them wearing the same cap. You don't have to be concerned about that as the judge will tell the jury all about that.

I understand that most of the area has been cleared for the public now, so it's time to go back to doing the things that we do, and hopefully, particularly with train buffs, understand why it's so important to report anything unususual that you see trackside, even if it's yourself in a calm, matter-of-fact manner.
Attachments
bpdmourni bdge.jpg
bpdmourni bdge.jpg (6.14 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
~Paul Joyce~

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby ns3010 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:47 pm

At least as of today, the lights were back on in Copley. I'm not exactly sure when they went back on, but they were definitely off on Thursday.

Also, while I was waiting at Prudential, they flashed a message for the recovery of Officer Donohue on the LED screens. I don't remember the exact wording, and I wasn't quick enough to get a picture, unfortunately...
ns3010

Postby 3rdrail » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:48 am

Yeah, the first 24 hours is the first hurdle, then the first week - let's keep our fingers crossed that he continues to improve. Meanwhile, the suspect seems to be getting more and more communicative. I'm watching to see what might come from him. It could be very interesting to say the least. I hate to be the one to bring this up, but MSN is reporting that a pair of aliens have been arrested by the Canadian RCMP for their plan to derail a passenger train "that runs between Toronto and New York" (Lake Shore Limited ?) Supposedly, the plan had gone right up to the time that it was ready to culminate apparently, and the RCMP is stating that to their knowledge, there is no connection with the Boston Bombing suspects, er suspect :-). It should be interesting to see what junior has to say as the FBI has him by the short hairs and he's going to be looking for wiggle room which only a lot of good terrorism information will buy him to keep him from a death penalty. Frankly, I'm bothered by one wearing a "suicide jacket", as that to me indicates extreme hatred and violence driven or being under the control of what they believe is a "superior" power by any definition of the term. So...we're (you & I) all out watching the trains anyway. If we see something...anything, please call. Subways have been mentioned especially but as we see, threats may involve passenger railroad or anything for that matter. This crap isn't going away soon. Expect to have to do this for the rest of your life. The life or limb that you save may be your own.
http://news.msn.com/world/canada-thwart ... =ansnews11
Attachments
bpdmourni bdge.jpg
bpdmourni bdge.jpg (6.14 KiB) Viewed 1029 times
Last edited by 3rdrail on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Postby wicked » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:54 am

"Aliens"? Are those Canadian guys from Mars? :D

In all seriousness, I don't think they're getting much out of the surviving suspect. Even if he avoids death, he'll end up in Supermax for 50 years. I'd probably choose death, if I had to pick. And his audacious behavior, all the way up to cursing up a storm while in the ambulance*, leads me to believe he isn't rolling anytime soon.

* -- http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld ... 6464.story
wicked

Postby MACTRAXX » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:29 am

Paul: That Amtrak/VIA Rail Canada train is the "Maple Leaf" running from NYP to Toronto...
There was thought that the Adirondack running to Montreal may have also been targeted...

Everyone: I noted that after the capture of the second suspect in the BM Bombing that a large
celebration began and it made me think of what is my favorite song mentioning Boston:
The Standells-"Dirty Water" (1966 vintage) See:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5apEctKwiD8
(Paul: I am sure that you remember this one well...)
And afterwards I found this recent video: "So Good-The Boston Song" (Vince Eytan)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds-woOtfcgs
This video mentions and shows the T at times...and shows "Boston Pride"...
This should have been used to show those from other areas-me included-what Boston
means to everyone...

MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby 3rdrail » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:46 pm

And now finally...a little good news ! The word is that P.O. Richard Donohue is healing well and expected to make a complete recovery !
Attachments
offdonohue.jpg
offdonohue.jpg (47.73 KiB) Viewed 904 times
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Postby Rbts Stn » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:04 am

GREAT great new.

Herald has an article about the T SWAT Team (the T has a SWAT team?) going into the boat for bomber 2: http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/lo ... ng_our_job
Rbts Stn

Postby 3rdrail » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:17 pm

That whole operation was a masterpiece. It's amazing that there weren't far more police and civilian casualties. Every officer on scene participated as one and their was a classy scene that I have not seen in print up until this Foxnews.com report that I'd like to tell you about. Boston Police Superintendent Billy Evans, Lieutenant Paul O'Connor, and Lieutenant Bobby Merner responded to the boat initially, determining that the suspect was hiding in the boat. There was an exchange of gunfire. The Super wisely backed off his men and called for assistance at which time the FBI SWAT team took over on the ground. At the time that the suspect gave up, when it was time to handcuff him, Superintendent Evans called out for a Transit Police officer to do the actual hand-cuffing. This is traditional when a suspect is arrested in any police officer shooting that a victim's own police department cuffs the suspect upon capture. At this time, the scene was quite busy and emotions high. It would have been easy for Evans or even the FBI to cuff this guy and go down as such, but Evans made sure that TPD had the honor. Both Superintendent Evans and Lieutenant O'Connor are long time friends of mine, having met in the 1-82 Police Academy Class at the Boston Police Academy.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/24/3- ... t-in-boat/
Attachments
evans-o'connor.jpg
evans-o'connor.jpg (34.23 KiB) Viewed 796 times
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)