Food Service Coming to the Riverside Line (April Fools Day)

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Food Service Coming to the Riverside Line (April Fools Day)

Postby sery2831 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:00 pm

Press Release

Start Date: 4/1/13

From the Riverside Reporter

MBTA releases plan to help increase revenue. To take advantage of the increased travel time on the Riverside Line at rush hour, special cars will offer food service and HD television in the morning and recent movies in the evening.

Morning service will depart Riverside or Woodland Stations only at 8AM and will drop off at Copley and Park Street Station only. There will be a continental breakfast service included in the fare with additional alcoholic beverages available for purchase. Seating will be booths with all leather seats, power outlets at all the seats, and HD flat screen TVs in various locations in the car. Cost of this service will be $43 plus normal fare. Tickets must be purchased in advanced via a Smart Phone APP coming soon.

Evening service will depart from Park Street Station only on the outbound inside track at 5:20PM. Bar service and hors d'oeuvres will be served. Future full meal service is being explored. Cost of this service will be $55 plus normal fare and will include soft drinks and hors d'oeuvres. Tickets must be purchased in advanced via a Smart Phone APP coming soon.

There will be limited same day round trip tickets available for purchase for $75 plus normal subway fare.

Cars will also be restroom equipped and have wifi. Cars will be handicapped accessible.

Funding for this service will be provided by private funding from corporate sponsors who will fund the construction of the cars. The cars will be made from the leftover Type 8 Breda car shells stored in Everett. Service is to start in the Fall during regular rush hour schedules.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Re: Entertainment and Food Service Coming to the Riverside L

Postby Diverging Route » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:12 pm

I read about that in the Bangkok Post here this morning! News travels fast!
Diverging Route

Postby Backshophoss » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:17 am

I hope this is a bad dream....;)
Backshophoss

Postby jaymac » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:41 am

...and cars 0401 through 0420 will provide the service...
"A white SUV with a roof antenna just might not be a company van."
jaymac

Postby Disney Guy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:37 am

Sometime in the 1930's or so they really did have food service on board the light rail. It was in Dallas, Texas. They had breakfast cooked to order and brought to your seat as they do it on airlines. One story was told that the real purpose was to promote electric stoves. How they managed to take your order, cook your breakfast, serve you, and give you time to eat before you reached your stop I don't know. I think only one or two cars were equipped. I don't think car 0434 (now at Seashore Trolley Museum) was one of them.

Today, rapid transit cars in several cities, including Hong Kong and Shenzhen, have flat panel TV's in various locations, primarily to show advertisements.
(To the theater stage manager) Quit twiddling the knob and flickering the lights while the audience is entering and being seated. (To the subway motorman) Quit twiddling the knob and dinging the doors while passengers are getting off and others are waiting to board.
Disney Guy

Postby octr202 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:48 am

I heard there's a consultant being brought in from Melbourne to develop the concept, but they're running into some snags due to "Buy American" rules in the contracting. So maybe no seared kangaroo filet on the PM commute...

http://www.tramrestaurant.com.au/
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby Patrick Boylan » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:57 am

I remember seeing a learning channel or PBS show about the Dallas food service.

By the way, does Boston have food and drink bans like other cities? Apparently not, if we are to believe what we have heard on Boston, or Cambridge, icon radio show Car Talk
http://www.scn.org/~bk269/metro.html
As mentioned, the District of Columbia has made it illegal to eat or drink on the subway, and people have been cited for doing so and fined. (In a few cases, people have been arrested in the District, although this seems to the exception rather than the rule.) Car Talk references this when describing Doug "The Subway Fugitive" Berman, who supposedly once fled from a distracted D.C. transit officer who had stopped him with a donut in hand.

I like to believe Dougie didn't know about the DC regulations, because he came from eat anything you want on transit Boston, and not that he was going to DC for a donut on train junket because Boston wouldn't let him take a bite.
Patrick Boylan

Location: Here is a stupid picture, pay attention to me. Burlington Township, NJ 08016

Postby highwayman » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:18 pm

Amtrak has a heck of a time trying to provide such amenities on its cross country trains. Its hard to imagine this luxury on the green line!! Hee Hee, happy april fools day!!
highwayman

Postby Patrick Boylan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:34 am

Darn, another April Fools joke bamboozled me. I was so looking forward to a refreshing Riverside refreshment ride.
Patrick Boylan

Location: Here is a stupid picture, pay attention to me. Burlington Township, NJ 08016

Postby Arborwayfan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:15 pm

Re Mr. Boylan's comment: I know the Dunkin Donuts on the platform at Park Street closed ten or fifteen years ago, but was the place that sold hotdogs on the platform at Government Center still there when the station got ready to close? I haven't been to either place in ages. Are there other places like that in the paid area of any stations today? What's the food-vending situation like now, Boston friends?
Arborwayfan

Postby Arborwayfan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:17 pm

By the way, on-board food service would be a lot easier on a city system than on a cross-country train, because the train would often be at its terminal for restocking and the employees could sleep at home.
Arborwayfan

Postby wicked » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:22 pm

Arborwayfan wrote:Re Mr. Boylan's comment: I know the Dunkin Donuts on the platform at Park Street closed ten or fifteen years ago, but was the place that sold hotdogs on the platform at Government Center still there when the station got ready to close? I haven't been to either place in ages. Are there other places like that in the paid area of any stations today? What's the food-vending situation like now, Boston friends?

There was still a Dunks at GC on the Green Line level as of a few months ago. I think a newsstand may have been in the Blue Line spot, not sure.

The retail spaces at Park and DTX get tenants for a year or two, go vacant for three or four, then find another tenant for a year or two. I never understood why they aren't are successful long term. Theft? With the foot traffic alone at the DTX booths, you could make some nice coin.
wicked

Postby MBTA3247 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:03 pm

wicked wrote:The retail spaces at Park and DTX get tenants for a year or two, go vacant for three or four, then find another tenant for a year or two. I never understood why they aren't are successful long term. Theft? With the foot traffic alone at the DTX booths, you could make some nice coin.

Which spaces are you thinking of? The news stand at Park St on track 4 has been there for years, and there's a push cart on the Forest Hills-bound platform at DTX that has also been there for years.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby wicked » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:10 pm

The Red Line platforms at DTX.

You're right, Park has been occupied in recent years, but there was a stretch in the 1990s where it was vacant.
wicked

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)