Question about Green Line Type 7 Console

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Question about Green Line Type 7 Console

Postby jwhite07 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:01 pm

The whole enchilada, as built, anyhow (I don't know if anything got changed due to the Type 8 mods):

Top row, left to right:
DIMMER DIM/NORM (controls intensity of panel lights)
LAMP TEST (all panel lights on simultaneously to check for burnt-out bulbs)
LIGHTING - CAB (Cab lights on/off)
LIGHTING - PANEL (Panel lights on/off)
LIGHTING - INTERIOR (Interior lights on/off)
LIGHTING - HEAD (three-position switch HI-LOW-OFF for headlights)
COUPLER CONTROL- ISOLATE/NORMAL (trainline electrical connections disabled or enabled)
COUPLER CONTROL - UNCOUPLE (disengages mechanical i.e. steel hook part of coupler and allows uncoupling)
HILL CLIMB/TOW MODE (three position protected switch HILL/TOW/OFF - provides additional tractive effort for steep hills or towing dead trailers... tow mode imposes a 30mph max speed and hill climb mode is good for 55 seconds with an imposed 3 minute propulsion lockout afterwards to cool motors)
PAN UP/DOWN (pantograph raised or lowered
PROPULSION RESET (basically boots the propulsion system on initial startup or to reset a fault)

I think the bottom row got covered pretty well by others but I'll recap, again left to right:
Left side rear door control
Left side center doors control
P.A. ON (activates public address for "old-style" manual PA announcements)
GONG ON - car bell
TRACK SW ON - controls operation of track switch contactor... I think this is largely replaced by AVI automated routing, but originally used to remotely throw track switches
SANDER ON - lets out the sand
HORN ON - lets out the loud honking noises
TRACK BRAKE ON - *BANG* and you stop really quick
Right side center door control
Right side front door control
PASS STOP RESET - resets the Stop Requested sign (good when some dope is inadvertently leaning on the switch or hanging on to the pull cord)
jwhite07

Postby CircusFreakGRITZ » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:36 pm

Wow, how did you know all those details? Do you work for the T?

Also, speaking of AVI, what exactly sets the AVI nowadays? I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the announcement system, but that's all I know.
CircusFreakGRITZ

Postby CircusFreakGRITZ » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:40 pm

Oh, and a few more questions. :-)

1) what about the windshield wipers and heat/AC?

2) can the couplers be uncoupled while the train is in motion? Same with the pantograph, can it be lowered while the train is moving? Or is there some kind of safeguard against this happening?

3) I have never seen a type 7 with headlights off. Is there some override on a circuit breaker somewhere that prevents the "off" position on the console from actually turning the headlights off? Similar to some cars with daytime running lights?

Sorry for all the questions!
CircusFreakGRITZ

Postby jwhite07 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:40 am

I do not work for the T. Many years ago I was given a photocopy of some of the Type 7 manual by a long-retired individual who did.

The wiper and HVAC controls are elsewhere in the cab, just not on the console. I don't have the photocopy at hand so I can't recall specifically where they are.

As for your other questions, since I don't work for the T some of this will be speculative, but I'll back it up when I can with over 30 years of observing and riding the Green Line.

I do not believe cars can be uncoupled (intentionally, anyway) while a train is in motion. Doing so would break the air and MU connections, probably resulting in an emergency brake application and may also result in damaged electrical systems if the MU were not first isolated. Thankfully I have never witnessed an unintentional breakapart on the Green Line, either - the mechanical hooks inside couplers are quite effective at keeping things together.

I've never seen it done on the Green Line, but I would assume it is possible to lower and raise a pantograph while in motion. It is possible on most electric locomotives. A good reason to have that ability is if one had to drop the panto to coast a short distance to get under a damaged or obstructed catenary wire. Not talking Type 7 here, but back in the 1990s I was once on a Type 5 charter and we had to pull the pole off the wire to coast under several frogless catenary junctions. The assigned Instructor got the pole back onto the wire while we were still rolling, too - now that takes skill!

The headlights can be turned off. I have seen cars operating with headlights off on rare occasions. Probably a "switch position awareness error" - the operation of cars with headlights on is so prevailent that I have to presume that there is an operating or safety rule that mandates it.
jwhite07

Postby jwhite07 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:39 am

Last I knew, the AVI was set by selecting the proper route numbers on a thumbwheel atop a box to the right of the console (on the 3600-series Type 7s AVI was a retrofit, not original equipment). I do not know if this is still the case post-Type 8 mod, or how it is done on Type 8s, or whether the AVI and the destination sign/announcements system work in tandem.
jwhite07

Postby Scott10690 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:22 am

The AVI on the Type 8s is on a digital screen/key pad to the left of the Operator (by his/her left hip).

Wiper controls for a Type 8 are on the dash. On the Type 7 they are to the Operator's left by his/her knee.
Scott10690

Postby Zachodon » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:22 am

jwhite07 wrote:The whole enchilada, as built, anyhow (I don't know if anything got changed due to the Type 8 mods):

Top row, left to right:
DIMMER DIM/NORM (controls intensity of panel lights)
LAMP TEST (all panel lights on simultaneously to check for burnt-out bulbs)
LIGHTING - CAB (Cab lights on/off)
LIGHTING - PANEL (Panel lights on/off)
LIGHTING - INTERIOR (Interior lights on/off)
LIGHTING - HEAD (three-position switch HI-LOW-OFF for headlights)
COUPLER CONTROL- ISOLATE/NORMAL (trainline electrical connections disabled or enabled)
COUPLER CONTROL - UNCOUPLE (disengages mechanical i.e. steel hook part of coupler and allows uncoupling)
HILL CLIMB/TOW MODE (three position protected switch HILL/TOW/OFF - provides additional tractive effort for steep hills or towing dead trailers... tow mode imposes a 30mph max speed and hill climb mode is good for 55 seconds with an imposed 3 minute propulsion lockout afterwards to cool motors)
PAN UP/DOWN (pantograph raised or lowered
PROPULSION RESET (basically boots the propulsion system on initial startup or to reset a fault)

I think the bottom row got covered pretty well by others but I'll recap, again left to right:
Left side rear door control
Left side center doors control
P.A. ON (activates public address for "old-style" manual PA announcements)
GONG ON - car bell
TRACK SW ON - controls operation of track switch contactor... I think this is largely replaced by AVI automated routing, but originally used to remotely throw track switches
SANDER ON - lets out the sand
HORN ON - lets out the loud honking noises
TRACK BRAKE ON - *BANG* and you stop really quick
Right side center door control
Right side front door control
PASS STOP RESET - resets the Stop Requested sign (good when some dope is inadvertently leaning on the switch or hanging on to the pull cord)

Hello,

Thanks! :D

Are these controls for the Type 7 or the Type 8 console?

Zachodon
Zachodon

Postby CircusFreakGRITZ » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:11 pm

Type 7
CircusFreakGRITZ

Postby MBTA3247 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:54 pm

I've seen cars operating without headlights several times recently in the Cleveland Circle/Chestnut Hill Ave area.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby diburning » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:53 pm

jwhite07 wrote:I do not believe cars can be uncoupled (intentionally, anyway) while a train is in motion. Doing so would break the air and MU connections, probably resulting in an emergency brake application and may also result in damaged electrical systems if the MU were not first isolated. Thankfully I have never witnessed an unintentional breakapart on the Green Line, either - the mechanical hooks inside couplers are quite effective at keeping things together.

I don't think you can uncouple the cars without pulling the uncoupling lever. The Type 8s have an uncoupling lever attached under the coupler. You can see it in this photo:

I'm not sure if the Type 7 has something similar as I haven't seen anything like that under a Type 7, but I'd assume that there is some sort of physical control that has to be operated in order to uncouple.
diburning

Postby BandM4266 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:14 am

diburning wrote:
jwhite07 wrote:I do not believe cars can be uncoupled (intentionally, anyway) while a train is in motion. Doing so would break the air and MU connections, probably resulting in an emergency brake application and may also result in damaged electrical systems if the MU were not first isolated. Thankfully I have never witnessed an unintentional breakapart on the Green Line, either - the mechanical hooks inside couplers are quite effective at keeping things together.

I don't think you can uncouple the cars without pulling the uncoupling lever. The Type 8s have an uncoupling lever attached under the coupler. You can see it in this photo:

I'm not sure if the Type 7 has something similar as I haven't seen anything like that under a Type 7, but I'd assume that there is some sort of physical control that has to be operated in order to uncouple.

The cars most certainly can be broken without the use of the lever as noted. The Isolate switch and coupler switch are pressed simultaneously then with a little power then release and the compression on the coupler will force apart the couplers, if they stick then they use the bars as last resort.

The one thing i never truly understood but maybe someone could clarify on here, is why when a type 8 tags onto a 7, the type 7 overides the 8's air compressor and shuts it off, and sometimes when the cars are split the 8 will take a while before the compressor starts back up
BandM4266

Postby CircusFreakGRITZ » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:49 pm

BandM4266 wrote:The one thing i never truly understood but maybe someone could clarify on here, is why when a type 8 tags onto a 7, the type 7 overides the 8's air compressor and shuts it off, and sometimes when the cars are split the 8 will take a while before the compressor starts back up

Smart ass answer: Because the type 8's are crap!

Actual answer: *scratches head*
CircusFreakGRITZ

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)