Question about Green Line Type 7 Console

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Question about Green Line Type 7 Console

Postby Zachodon » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:03 pm

Hello everyone, I have a question. I came across this photo on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ck4049/6487183181/ and I was wondering: what do each of the buttons do? I noticed that some of the words are clear but most are vague and hard to read. If someone could list what each of the buttons do for me, that would be wonderful. Thanks! :)

Zachodon
Zachodon

Re: Question about Green Line Type 7 Console

Postby diburning » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:54 pm

From right to left, bottom row first:

PASS STOP RESET - Resets the Stop Request bell/indicator in the case that it gets stuck.
DOORS RIGHT SIDE - Front door open and close, Middle doors open and close
TRACK BRAKE ON - Applies friction brakes on trucks. They are large metal things that make physical contact with the tracks. The brake pedal has positions on it to serve the same purpose.
HORN ON - Horn button
SANDER ON - Hit it for a burst of sand.
GONG ON - DING DING!
PA ON - Hit this to make an announcement
DOORS LEFT SIDE - Middle doors open and close, end door open and close

Top row:

Propulsion Reset - Hit this when the train either brakes hard/emergency or just refuses to move when the accelerator pedal is pressed.
PAN UP/DOWN - Pantograph switch
HILL CLIMB - I've always wondered what this was for. I've never seen it used before. I'd assume that it's used to climb steep grades.
COUPLER CONTROL UNCOUPLE/ISOLATE - Uncouple disengages the coupler in front to uncouple. I'm not sure what the isolate switch is for.
LIGHTING - Assorted lighting switches to turn lights on and off
I can't read the next two, and I don't remember what they are.
diburning

Postby MBTA3247 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:48 am

Just a guess, but ISOLATE may disable the MU connection between coupled cars (for when you need to tow/push a disabled car), and HILL CLIMB may increase the duty cycle of the chopper controls to provide more power on hills.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby Rbts Stn » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:24 am

Any idea what the red one is between Gong and Sander?
Rbts Stn

Postby Zachodon » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:22 pm

diburning wrote:From right to left, bottom row first:

PASS STOP RESET - Resets the Stop Request bell/indicator in the case that it gets stuck.
DOORS RIGHT SIDE - Front door open and close, Middle doors open and close
TRACK BRAKE ON - Applies friction brakes on trucks. They are large metal things that make physical contact with the tracks. The brake pedal has positions on it to serve the same purpose.
HORN ON - Horn button
SANDER ON - Hit it for a burst of sand.
GONG ON - DING DING!
PA ON - Hit this to make an announcement
DOORS LEFT SIDE - Middle doors open and close, end door open and close

Top row:

Propulsion Reset - Hit this when the train either brakes hard/emergency or just refuses to move when the accelerator pedal is pressed.
PAN UP/DOWN - Pantograph switch
HILL CLIMB - I've always wondered what this was for. I've never seen it used before. I'd assume that it's used to climb steep grades.
COUPLER CONTROL UNCOUPLE/ISOLATE - Uncouple disengages the coupler in front to uncouple. I'm not sure what the isolate switch is for.
LIGHTING - Assorted lighting switches to turn lights on and off
I can't read the next two, and I don't remember what they are.

Hello,

Thank you! :)

With all due respect, do you know what it says on top of each of the four lighting buttons? Which lights do each button control?
What does it say on top of the red button after "GONG ON" and before "SANDER ON" and what does it do?

Also, does anyone know what it says on top of each button on a Type 8 console and what each button does? (Pictures: http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... ey=caboter, http://web.mit.edu/jdreed/www/t/mbta/ri ... nsole2.jpg, http://web.mit.edu/jdreed/www/t/mbta/ri ... onsole.jpg)

Thanks! :)

Zachodon
Zachodon

Postby diburning » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:44 am

The lighting switches from left to right as I can read them in the photo are:

Cab
???
Interior
Head

I am not sure what that red switch does as I can't read it from the photo, but if I take a peek in the cab of an actual Type 7, I might be able to recognize it.

The Type 8's desktop console is arranged similarly, except a few switches have been consolidated to knobs. The Type 8 also has directional blinkers (similar to a car) located in the center of the console (the switch turned sideways) which is pretty useless because they only use it when making that left from Huntington to South Huntington on the E branch (or making a right if going the other way). (It's more for traffic following the train since the track only goes in a set direction). I'm not sure if the operators are trained or told to use them, but not every operator uses the blinkers. The console with the LCD display is similar to an ATM where the buttons do not have a set function, but rather exist for the operator to select menus and menu options.

I used to ride the Green Line multiple times daily for 10 years. In that time, I've witnessed almost every switch on that Type 7 console being used!
diburning

Postby Zachodon » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:55 am

diburning wrote:The lighting switches from left to right as I can read them in the photo are:

Cab
???
Interior
Head

I am not sure what that red switch does as I can't read it from the photo, but if I take a peek in the cab of an actual Type 7, I might be able to recognize it.

The Type 8's desktop console is arranged similarly, except a few switches have been consolidated to knobs. The Type 8 also has directional blinkers (similar to a car) located in the center of the console (the switch turned sideways) which is pretty useless because they only use it when making that left from Huntington to South Huntington on the E branch (or making a right if going the other way). (It's more for traffic following the train since the track only goes in a set direction). I'm not sure if the operators are trained or told to use them, but not every operator uses the blinkers. The console with the LCD display is similar to an ATM where the buttons do not have a set function, but rather exist for the operator to select menus and menu options.

I used to ride the Green Line multiple times daily for 10 years. In that time, I've witnessed almost every switch on that Type 7 console being used!

Hello,

Thanks! :)

Do you know what it says on top of each button on a Type 8 console? From this picture (http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... ey=caboter) to me it looks like the Type 8 might have less/more buttons than the Type 7. Thanks! :)

Zachodon
Zachodon

Postby typesix » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:04 pm

diburning wrote:

One switch not yet mentioned is the track switch.
typesix

Postby CircusFreakGRITZ » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:34 pm

Where is the inching switch on the Type 8? I know the T7 has it behind the console (you can see it if you're riding in the second car in a two car train).

Also, does anyone know what exactly that "ATM" type console actually does? I know it has symbols that give information on the status of the doors, but other than that?
CircusFreakGRITZ

Postby diburning » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:02 pm

I can't read any of them in that photo and I haven't memorized their positions so I can't be of any help there.

Does the Type 8 have an inching switch? I've never seen it used.

The ATM style display shows the trainline door (open/closed) and truck status (traction motors, braking, etc). If the type 8 is trainlined with a type 7, all it shows on the Type 8's display is an outline of the car with no door or truck status. The Type 7 does not have that display.
diburning

Postby Zachodon » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:11 pm

diburning wrote:I can't read any of them in that photo and I haven't memorized their positions so I can't be of any help there.

The ATM style display shows the trainline door (open/closed) and truck status (traction motors, braking, etc). If the type 8 is trainlined with a type 7, all it shows on the Type 8's display is an outline of the car with no door or truck status. The Type 7 does not have that display.

Hello,

With all due respect, there were actually three pictures that I included which showed the Type 8 cab:
*http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo=2005070722314328497.jpg&order=byposter&page=2&key=caboter *http://web.mit.edu/jdreed/www/t/mbta/riverside/type8console.jpg
*http://web.mit.edu/jdreed/www/t/mbta/riverside/type8console2.jpg
You might have only viewed the first one, which is why I think you couldn't see the words on top of the buttons.

Zachodon
Zachodon

Postby BandM4266 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:58 pm

diburning wrote:I can't read any of them in that photo and I haven't memorized their positions so I can't be of any help there.

The Type 8 doesn't have an inching switch, as the operator can stand up and creep with the hand control as needed in order to tag onto another Car. Type 7 would be very difficult to do so with the foot controls.
BandM4266

Postby CircusFreakGRITZ » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:49 pm

Zachodon wrote:

Hello,

With all due respect, there were actually three pictures that I included which showed the Type 8 cab:
*http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo=2005070722314328497.jpg&order=byposter&page=2&key=caboter *http://web.mit.edu/jdreed/www/t/mbta/riverside/type8console.jpg
You might have only viewed the first one, which is why I think you couldn't see the words on top of the buttons.

Zachodon

Those pictures are really low resolution, probably since they were taken back in the 90's. Can YOU read the words next to the buttons? ;)

BandM4266 wrote:The Type 8 doesn't have an inching switch, as the operator can stand up and creep with the hand control as needed in order to tag onto another Car. Type 7 would be very difficult to do so with the foot controls.

Hmm, that makes sense now that I think about it.
CircusFreakGRITZ

Postby Zachodon » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:34 pm

CircusFreakGRITZ wrote:
Zachodon wrote:

Hello,

Zachodon

Those pictures are really low resolution, probably since they were taken back in the 90's. Can YOU read the words next to the buttons? ;)

BandM4266 wrote:The Type 8 doesn't have an inching switch, as the operator can stand up and creep with the hand control as needed in order to tag onto another Car. Type 7 would be very difficult to do so with the foot controls.

Hmm, that makes sense now that I think about it.

Hello,

With all due respect, in the second and third photos I have included, I can kind of see what the words say, but some of them aren't really clear. I was wondering if someone here worked for the MBTA or if someone knew what each button did.

Zachodon
Zachodon

Postby Finch » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:12 pm

To elaborate on Propulsion Reset. If you have to use this switch, it typically means the propulsion system has tripped out on overload or another major fault. Some kind of over-current, a ground fault, that sort of thing. You need to reset propulsion to get the system to "wake up" again. This is typical of many (all?) transit vehicles, not just the Type 7.
Finch

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)