"Track 2" at Charlestown Garage

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

"Track 2" at Charlestown Garage

Postby BostonUrbEx » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:17 am

I was poking around the Charlestown Garage area and while walking down Beacham St, I suddenly noticed a jet blower on "Track 2" (garage door #2). It's the only track in the facility (other than the MOW siding way in the back corner of the facility), and is completely isolated from the national rail network.

It looks one of the ones actively used on the system (don't know whether it was from commuter rail or rapid transit though). Is this where they repair them and/or store them for the summer? I figure it must be from a rapid transit line, as I assume the commuter rail ones are repaired in-house at BET, and tuck them away around BET somewhere when not in use.

Also, I thought heavy repairs were handled in Everett if they needed to be trucked out, where they fabricated parts?
BostonUrbEx

Re: "Track 2" at Charlestown Garage

Postby sery2831 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:32 pm

What you found was the MBTAs MOW repair shop. They fix all rail bound work equipment there for all the lines. The Commuter Rail MOW equipment is maintained in Cambridge near Alewife.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Re: "Track 2" at Charlestown Garage

Postby StefanW » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:57 am

Here is that location in Google Maps. You can see the track clearly.

Also very cool: In the Google Street View there's what looks like a ballast sweeper sitting on that track.

It looks like there's at least one rail ramp trailer parked in the corner of the lot, at the corner of Arlington Ave. and Dorrance St.

Anyone know if that / those are in fact rail trailers, and if that's what was used to get the PCC cars from Mattapan to Riverside for the rebuilds years ago?
StefanW

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)