Chinatown Station/ Essex Discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Chinatown Station/ Essex Discussion

Postby wicked » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:07 pm

That triggers memories. I went to the Floating often as a kid, and you could see the portal from the bus stop on Washington Street.
wicked

Postby 3rdrail » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:41 am

Funny that you should mention that, Wicked. I did also, in fact I got all my regular medical and dental work there in it's "Boston Dispensary for Children". There was an exit out of the Floating that came out onto Ash St. which we would always take heading out back towards Boylston Station for the ride to Forest Hills. The portal was adjacent and parallel to Ash St and it was fun to watch the 01100's dive into the tunnel at a fairly steep descent, about the steepest that I've ever seen (maybe it was due to clearance in that dense area). No matter what I was having done that day, I always looked forward to it as it meant a day of excitement for this pre-teen. My mom and I would exit Essex Station and walk through the wild and wooly Combat Zone, which at the time (@ 1960) lived up to it's name nicely. Walking past the strip joints when a door would open as some drunk was being thrown out (literally) was always good for an eye full. Then there were the street fights involving the U.S. Navy usually. I recall seeing a sailor being chased by a guy with a knife who ran right by us. They were so close, you could smell the whisky on their breath ! My mom just nonchalantly kept me in tow, occasionally telling me not to "look at them", being the city girl that she was. After my treatment was over, it meant my reward - a couple of slices from the magnificent King of Pizza at Boylston/Wash where you could watch the guy throwing the pizzas in the air from outside through the window before you went in. A ride home 40 feet in the air on my 01100 majic carpet was the finishing touch to a day of excitement and memories which are as fresh today as they were back then.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby wicked » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:22 am

Yes, Mr. Rail, now that you mention it, I remember going to the Ash Street building for some appointments, and walking right past the portal. You could feel the vibration of the train as it descended into the tunnel, its screeching only amplifying things. Sadly, was too young to ride the El (and my squeamish Southie parents would never have dared go to Dudley Square).

All I did as a kid was ride public transit (parents didn't drive). It turned me into a train/transit junkie for a long period of time. I love the freedom of the automobile, but I still yearn for those old train rides and love being able to take the Red Line into town.

Apologies for the nostalgia tangent.
wicked

Postby 3rdrail » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:02 pm

Essex Portal from Ash St. The Floating Hospital (Boston Dispensary) doorway is to the left. Forest Hills bound (outbound) train of P/S 01100's.
Attachments
essexportal.jpg
essexportal.jpg (70.23 KiB) Viewed 1041 times
~Paul Joyce~

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby wicked » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:17 am

The old/new Orange Line alignment was the subject of a Universal Hub post yesterday.

http://www.universalhub.com/2013/orange ... -dimension
wicked

Postby 3rdrail » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:39 pm

Where's Rod Serling when you need him ? :-(
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)