Chinatown Station/ Essex Discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Chinatown Station/ Essex Discussion

Postby Disney Guy » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:08 pm

Would anyone know what is above the southbound (outbound) track at Chinatown (Essex) station causing that half of the tunnel to be lower than the inbound half?

I would say that older station names used as secondary names should be gotten rid of after a few years. For Chinatown, the sub-name "Essex" could be turned into a longer banner "Essex St. and Boylston St. with an arrow pointing to the station exit.

Or rename it back to Essex. I think that both sides of the station should have the same name, with the possible exception of State Station southbound which is some distance from the rest of State Station.
(To the theater stage manager) Quit twiddling the knob and flickering the lights while the audience is entering and being seated. (To the subway motorman) Quit twiddling the knob and dinging the doors while passengers are getting off and others are waiting to board.
Disney Guy

Postby Austin023 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:33 am

Disney Guy wrote:Would anyone know what is above the southbound (outbound) track at Chinatown (Essex) station causing that half of the tunnel to be lower than the inbound half?....

I believe the reason for the peculiar alignment you mention (the southbound being lower than the northbound) is due to the fact that (if you were to go northbound, out of the station) the tracks align over one another due to the narrow street above in that area. The Washington tunnel was built by the regular "cut and cover" method and therefore the tunnel had to be built to conform to the narrow street and building foundations above, with foundations being sometimes underpinned where they had to build under a foundation. There are a few areas in the tunnel where the tracks must align one atop the other; it is probably one of the most complicated tunnels in the T system and the area around State Street is a good example of the type of stacking alignment as well.

But if you notice at the southern end of the Chinatown station, the two platforms are closer to the same level as originally just south of the station the tunnel ended and the northbound/southbound tracks emerged onto the old Washington Street El . The El closed when the new southwest corridor to Forrest Hills was opened in May, 1987. There is no trace of the old portal to the El now as the New England Medical Center (now Tufts) built a new wing on the site in the 1990s.
Austin023

Postby 3rdrail » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:12 pm

Good answer DG- Washington Street between Boylston and Kneeland/Stuart bottlenecks considerably. For some reason, original city planners layed it out that way just before it became an industrial/commercial area way back when. (A lot of those buildings were built as either factories or hotels, plus they had to fit in Barbarella in the 70's.) All the more astonishing when you realize that there were half grand unions at Kneeland/Wash, Beach/Wash, and yes (I'm going to say it) a full grand union at Boylston/Essex/Wash. (There is a controversy whether or not the latter is a grand union. I believe that it was.) HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY EVERYBODY !!! GOD SAVE AMERICA !!!
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby The EGE » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:15 pm

Cross-posting from the New England Medical Center thread. Here's the South Bay Junction as seen from the southbound platform at Chinatown.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... on_HDR.JPG

The old tunnel to the portal and the Elevated is on the left, while the South Bay Tunnel curves to the right.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby The EGE » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:27 pm

And here's the Lagrange Street emergency exit, as viewed from the southbound platform.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... t_exit.JPG
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby 3rdrail » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:27 pm

Great camera work there Eggey - superb adjustment of light. To add onto your piece, here's the foyer, first stairwell, and second stairwell of Essex Station's LaGrange Street Exit.
~Paul Joyce~

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby theseaandalifesaver » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:13 pm

How much of the old portal still exists?
theseaandalifesaver

Postby The EGE » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:09 pm

Nothing on the surface - it's been obliterated by hospital buildings. It was located about where the helipad is now: https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=4 ... 2&t=h&z=19

Underground, I don't know. It's bricked up about 30 feet into the tunnel. I estimate the junction is about under Stuart Street so there's about 100 feet of tunnel of uncertain status.
The EGE

Postby 3rdrail » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:56 pm

The EGE wrote: It was located about where the helipad is now

It was actually about 100-125 feet northwesterly of where the helipad is.

http://photos.cityrails.net/showpic/?20 ... l&BOOL=ALL
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Postby BostonUrbEx » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:37 am

3rdrail wrote:
The EGE wrote: It was located about where the helipad is now

It was actually about 100-125 feet northwesterly of where the helipad is.

http://photos.cityrails.net/showpic/?20 ... l&BOOL=ALL

At the intersection of Ash and Bennet, I believe, yes? (Which no longer intersect these days)
BostonUrbEx

Postby The EGE » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:34 pm

Just about, yes. After doing a few layovers with old and new maps, I've concluded that the top of the portal was at the green arrow in this view: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.34954 ... 4&t=h&z=16
The EGE

Postby 3rdrail » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:11 pm

You nailed it, Eggey ! Using "Historic Aerials" and using the "slide feature", you can see it clearly. I used 1978/2005. http://www.historicaerials.com/
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Postby Teamdriver » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:38 pm

Found this,look at 6:40 +/- , and here is your train going under , i think you could see it at one of the entrances to the New England Medical Center, when it was its own hospital.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... zfA#t=394s
Teamdriver

Postby 3rdrail » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:42 pm

Thanks, TD. That video also shows the difference in depth showing Boylston to be deeper than Essex. Appropximately where the two trains meet is the spot where the new tunnel breaks off.
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Postby Teamdriver » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:31 am

Here's a view coming the other way, cant really distinguish much in the tunnel as it starts dark climbing out of it, but its a perspective. if you rode it enough you would trigger in your mind one landmark after another, until it was time to get off.The clacking , the squealing at the curves , and mostly looking down on the quiet desperation of life underneath, it was quite a trip. I hear the squeal of the Dudley curve and even now my thought is, if I am going to be late for school.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... QXoK2weC-g
Teamdriver

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)