Chinatown Station/ Essex Discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Chinatown Station/ Essex Discussion

Postby Ron Newman » Sun May 22, 2005 9:10 am

At the far south end of the southbound platform at Chinatown, an old (usually locked) exit leads to a pedestrian tunnel. The exit should emerge somewhere around Washington and La Grange Streets, but I can't find any sign of it above ground. Anyone know more about it?
Ron Newman

Postby jack615 » Wed May 25, 2005 9:53 am

Ron this is what the NETransit site says about the exit

Chinatown:
On the southbound platform is a closed entrance onto LaGrange Street. On the northbound platform is a closed entrance to Hayward Place (once Raymond's Department Store). Both of these entrances were closed in 1972, but remain as emergency exits, and dry standpipe locations. There is a sealed, never used passageway connecting the southbound and northbound platforms.

http://members.aol.com/eddanamta/abando ... nstas.html

Jack
jack615

Postby NealG » Wed May 25, 2005 10:04 am

jack615 wrote: There is a sealed, never used passageway connecting the southbound and northbound platforms.

Wow. That's a new one. Where exactly is it?
NealG

Postby vanshnookenraggen » Wed May 25, 2005 10:19 am

While surfing the internet I found a picture of the inside of the exit. It is in bad shape but is an amazing picture. It was taken by a railfan who I've met once and have seen around town but can't remember his name. I have the pic on my computer at home and I'll try to post it tomorrow.
vanshnookenraggen

Postby Ron Newman » Wed May 25, 2005 11:53 am

Thanks everyone. But my question remains: where does this exit emerge at ground level?
Ron Newman

Postby NealG » Wed May 25, 2005 12:15 pm

Dunno. Try it out sometime. Chances are that no one would ever know if you did.
NealG

Postby mattster » Wed May 25, 2005 12:54 pm

I wish they would open the passageway that connects the two stations. Once I accidentally went into the wrong station when it was disgusting out and muddy puddles were everywhere and high mounds of snow allowing only one person through at a time. Crossing the street was a major hassle.
mattster

Postby Ron Newman » Wed May 25, 2005 1:39 pm

The first time I saw this exit, it was open, but I could hear people yelling and screaming either in it or above it, so I decided not to enter it.

The next time, it was locked. Touching it caused beeping to occur, but didn't appear to unlock it.
Ron Newman

Postby NealG » Wed May 25, 2005 2:44 pm

Ron Newman wrote: Touching it caused beeping to occur, but didn't appear to unlock it.
Nice to know that the T has emergency exits that you can't get out of. :(
NealG

Postby CS » Wed May 25, 2005 4:55 pm

Oh, it's visible above ground and I recently stumbled across it!
It's painted blue, and hard to describe but near the corner of lagrange street. There are the "In" and "Out" black metal work above the doors of this kiosk. There are doors of it and if you look good enough inside it, you will see "ESSEX" in mosiac of course.
CS

Postby DowntownDave » Wed May 25, 2005 7:24 pm

I presume its the shaded box labelled 'station' on LaGrange St. on this map:

Ward 3

Which looks as if its in one of what is now Centerfolds.

I'll check it out tomorrow.
DowntownDave

Postby efin98 » Wed May 25, 2005 10:28 pm

I tried looking and couldn't find the place being talked about and I looked for an hour. The one that some may be thinking about is north of the station, not south. The entrance and exit there is clearly visible and hard to miss, but they are on Hayward Place and not LaGrange Street.
efin98

Postby vanshnookenraggen » Thu May 26, 2005 6:31 am

This is the entrance/exit on Hayward Place. Are they going to encorperate this into the new building here...or am I thinking of another parking lot they are developing? It's been a while since I was down there.
Last edited by vanshnookenraggen on Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vanshnookenraggen

Postby DowntownDave » Thu May 26, 2005 8:00 am

A quick pre-breakfast stroll reveals that it is indeed in the Centerfolds building, behind the blue doors just to the left of the Centerfolds sign:

Original signage is still visible:

It would be neat if Kensington justifies opening it up again.
DowntownDave

Postby Ron Newman » Thu May 26, 2005 11:02 am

Thanks, everyone. The Hayward Place exit (which I already knew about) is from the far north end of the northbound platform.
Last edited by Ron Newman on Thu May 26, 2005 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Newman

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)