Interesting Consist Discussion for the South Side

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Interesting Consist Discussion for the South Side

Postby nomis » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:53 pm

Bombardier will be firing up their MLV tooling for Septa soon enough :wink: ...
Who wants some commonality in NEC double-deckers that the riding public will call cramped since they have less headroom in them.
Moderator: Metro-North (with CDOT), Photography & Video

Avatar: An overnight trip on Girard Ave. stumbles upon 6 PCC's and an LRV stuck within two blocks.
nomis

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:06 pm

eustis22 wrote:Why are they OOS?

various reasons, whether it be the required air brake test, 180 days inspections, etc.. I'll try to get more information on Friday. As of Tuesday morning, 4/5, there were 23 cars OOS in Readville, just an update. That is South Side alone, no idea what BET looks like
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby Bramdeisroberts » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:22 pm

nomis wrote:Bombardier will be firing up their MLV tooling for Septa soon enough :wink: ...
Who wants some commonality in NEC double-deckers that the riding public will call cramped since they have less headroom in them.

That's just what the T needs, another piece of new equipment to worry about maintaining!

That said, they should have gone with MLV's instead of the brokems, but seeing as to they already have two types of bilevels to worry about, they're now stuck in this bind where they really ought to go either with more K-cars or more R-cars from here on out, while saving something ALL-new like MLV's for replacing either the old K's or the R's in a decade or two.
Bramdeisroberts

Postby octr202 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:00 pm

Feels like this summer is likely to be even worse than previous if we get HVAC failures, too. Up North, I think we might not have any six car sets left, and multiple fours running. The four car sets are even getting stuck on some busy peak trains.

Feels like the T will need to be trolling the second hand market soon at this rate...or resurrecting the MBBs.
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:02 pm

Which cars are exacerbating the shortage the most: trailers or cabs? If they need more flexibility with CTC assignments they've got the 1600's they can un-bottle from the northside by accelerating that cab signal + ACSES installation. Or re-equipping some of the ones that had their controls disabled. If it's strictly trailers they need, then they have no option but to fund another CRASP-like program for a subset of the MBB's to fix the floor rot, re-upholster the seats, and tend to any issues that may compromise MBTF on another 3-5 years of stopgap service. Prepping them for "as-is" service with slowly deteriorating uptime doesn't really help, as there are enough coaches fleet-wide suffering daily aches and pains that anything else surging the daily shop line starts to have a destabilizing effect on service. It was the same reason they had to pull the plug on the Screamers despite loco availability being far less than full; too many daily patch jobs in the shop had made too much ailing-but-roadworthy power have to stay out on the road until they crapped out. At a certain tipping point shortages...but with tolerable uptime...becomes preferable to tolerable numbers...but with perpetually unstable uptime.

Unfortunately there's just no other sources of secondhands. NJ Transit has cleared out its Comet boneyard. The MARC IIA's are completely shot. And the stuff that is plentiful on the aftermarket are all gallery cars and BLV's for 8-inch platforms. If it comes down to stopgap MBB's might be easier and more cost effective for them to pick from just the 500's, purge all the 1500 cabs, and accelerate/expand the work on the 1600 cabs. It would save them the extra complication of maintaining an extra make of old cabs, and play the best odds under the circumstances for maintaining uptime. An ailing trailer is less likely to stop a train than an ailing cab, and requires less day-to-day shop overhead than a car with controls for trying to avoid the same destabilizing situation with the shop line that ultimately got the Screamers pulled.

I just hope the FMCB is listening. ANYTHING they can do to expedite or do a one-off bonding out of another equipment order to ease the pressure off that scarily large 2020 procurement of simultaneous loco and coach mass replacements would be welcome. A much-accelerated RFP and bid period. Going straight to Kawasaki with specs for another 900-series rip lightly updated for any changes to the rebuilds. Going straight to Bombardier for a quick rip of cookie-cutter MLV's while the MARC order is still hot at the factory (even though the carbody differences make that less-ideal than more K-cars). Doing just trailers this time and targeting the 1600's to pick up the slack until the next procurement goes heavier on the cabs. Whatever it takes.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby Frode » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:09 am

I'm already seeing more MBB's in service on the Providence line. I was on one the other week that had 3 in a 6-car consist - an MBB control car, 2 trailers and 3 double-deckers. I'm also seeing more short sets. On Tuesday, the 6:10 pm Providence train had 3 doubles and a flat - not enough capacity for that train. Train 808 this morning had 7 doubles and one flat instead of the usual 8 doubles. It was fine for a Friday, but it's going to be crowded Monday through Thursday of that's the new assigned set. Yesterday morning someone was counting passengers with a hand clicker as we got off the 808. I wonder if the results prompted the substitution of a double with a single? Keolis may be scrutinizing passenger count very closely to see where they can re-allocate double-deckers. It's going to be a long, crowded summer if we lose some cars to AC failures or other issues.
Frode

Postby octr202 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:20 am

While getting a bit off topic for southside, just want to echo that there were passenger counters (must have been contracted to Parsons Brinckerhoff to do it as they had those safety vests on) at North Station this week as well, both AM and PM rush hours.

Of course, during the evening rush at NS, "pre-boarding" is quite rampant (and will get worse as consists shrink as people get pushy about seats), but the counters often didn't seem to get in position until the trains were posted. Don't know what South Station is like, but up north some trains can easily end up with 100+ people out the door before the train is called.
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Postby Type 7 3684 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:25 pm

I saw a weird set today on the Worcester line: 1027-1072-8xx-1816-904
Type 7 3684

Postby GP40MC1118 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:19 pm

Readville Switcher coming back from BET

D
GP40MC1118

Postby ACeInTheHole » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:04 pm

Wellp. At least it shows that the T is well aware they have a big problem
ACeInTheHole

Postby nomis » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:19 am

Today on train 520, 1052 leading inbound a 4 car set of 3 DD's and a Flat with 1072 on the "proper" end.
Moderator: Metro-North (with CDOT), Photography & Video

Avatar: An overnight trip on Girard Ave. stumbles upon 6 PCC's and an LRV stuck within two blocks.
nomis

Postby The ViRoCo » Sun May 15, 2016 1:06 pm

1056 and 3 other coaches came down to Middleboro on Saturday 5/14. It is in the layover yard, and 1056 is facing toward the coaches.
The ViRoCo

Postby Frode » Tue May 31, 2016 8:06 am

Train #808 was short 2 bilevels this morning. It was a VERY crowded ride in! This train is usually 8 bilevels.
Frode

Postby Komarovsky » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:31 am

1056 is on 552 this morning, guess this means it's no longer a cape flyer exclusive.
Komarovsky

Postby octr202 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:56 am

The "Kaboomerang" has been spotted on the Politicians Express passing thru Wellesley:

https://twitter.com/flashesofpanic/stat ... 9945950208
octr202

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)