Orange Line Cross Over At Ruggles

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Orange Line Cross Over At Ruggles

Postby WatertownCarBarn » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:12 pm

Was outbound to Forest Hills at Back Bay when they announced the train's last stop would be Ruggles; there it would become inbound.
Never been on board for this move before, but I was surprised when we crossed over before Ruggles and entered the station going outbound on the inbound tracks.
I would have thought that some regulation would have prevented this move with passengers on it, or even to avoid an plugged in passenger on the platform getting picked off looking the wrong way.

It would seem to me that if they emptied the train at Mass Ave. then hit the crossover back to Mass Ave, this would be deemed "safer". Or is this the way they always do it? Most of my time is spent on the Green & Red and haven't seen this on those lines.
WatertownCarBarn

Re: Orange Line Cross Over

Postby diburning » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:16 pm

They've done it before, and the ATO will allow it. When they bus the line north of Sullivan on weekends, they operate on one track between the junction north of North Station and Sullivan.
diburning

Postby atsf sp » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:24 am

Its just a switch, there are no regulations to prevent running a revenue train over a switch. As long as there is no train in the way, all is good.
"Why would you take a train to go see another train?"
Some people just don't understand.
My Photos
atsf sp

Postby WatertownCarBarn » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:26 pm

Thanks! It was cool to be on board for the move anyway.
WatertownCarBarn

Postby HenryAlan » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:32 pm

WatertownCarBarn wrote:Thanks! It was cool to be on board for the move anyway.

I know it's not quite the same, as it's regularly scheduled, but you can experience this same type of move at Forest Hills quite often.
HenryAlan

Postby The EGE » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:00 pm

Forest Hills, Oak Grove, and Alewife all have this crossover move in regular operations. Braintree might as well. Ashmont and Bowdoin get looped, and the crossovers at Wonderland are non-revenue beyond the platforms.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby boblothrope » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:12 pm

The EGE wrote:Forest Hills, Oak Grove, and Alewife all have this crossover move in regular operations. Braintree might as well. Ashmont and Bowdoin get looped, and the crossovers at Wonderland are non-revenue beyond the platforms.

What's the speed limit for the diverging route at those crossovers?

At Alewife, it was lowered from 25 to 10 a few years ago.
boblothrope

Re: Orange Line Cross Over At Ruggles

Postby diburning » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:40 pm

Braintree does have a double crossover as well. The speed appears to be around 20mph. There is almost always a set sitting at Braintree so the incoming train would always take the empty platform.
diburning

Postby MBTA3247 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:53 pm

The EGE wrote:Forest Hills, Oak Grove, and Alewife all have this crossover move in regular operations. Braintree might as well. Ashmont and Bowdoin get looped, and the crossovers at Wonderland are non-revenue beyond the platforms.

Braintree has double crossovers. Ashmont is setup essentially the same way as Wonderland, except the layover tracks also form the lead to Codman Yard.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby WatertownCarBarn » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:03 am

I've been on for the end of the line moves, here and on the DC Metro, I guess I expect that; just the middle of the line rush hour move seemed cool!
WatertownCarBarn

Postby wicked » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:16 am

As a reverse of this, many years ago I saw an outbound train terminate at Harvard, and then proceed to pick up inbound passengers on the outbound platform (IIRC it was a mess).
wicked

Postby The EGE » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:43 pm

wicked wrote:As a reverse of this, many years ago I saw an outbound train terminate at Harvard, and then proceed to pick up inbound passengers on the outbound platform (IIRC it was a mess).

They did a lot of moves like that during the weekend shutdowns last year.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby StevieC48 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:13 am

Ashmont has crossovers they use all the time. They use the loop once in a while when they use the wash track.
Farewell old friend thanks for the memories.
#4 EBT cars Hawker Siddley 1978-2009

Instructor/Inspector SERY
Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

Postby Teamdriver » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:32 pm

Orange line misc pics :
As a train travels towards downtown Boston along the Boston Elevated Railway at Forest Hills, a portion of the new Monsignor William J. Casey Overpass (Morton St.) is being constructed above. A commuter train on the former Boston & Providence Railroad route can be seen between the columns at the lower left.

http://www.jphs.org/display/ShowPicture ... lSize=true

The newly opened Forest Hills Orange Line station is shown on the left in this 1987 photograph while the old station, being readied for demolition, is seen on the right.

http://www.jphs.org/picture/forest-hill ... Image=true
Teamdriver

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)