FY 2014 Transportation Plan and Fare Hikes Discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

FY 2014 Transportation Plan and Fare Hikes Discussion

Postby Teamdriver » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:59 pm

Devalue's new secret plan : ( you have to sift through it for the MBTA stuff )

http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Portals/ ... _Jan13.pdf
Teamdriver

Re: Patrick launches website to explain $1.9B transportation

Postby BostonUrbEx » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:13 pm

Did they massively beef up the Green Line order? As I recall, the Type 9 order was supposedly to be pretty small, but the price tag is chalked up at nearly $750million. If we take the $1.5billion slated to cover both the Red AND Orange Line, we're getting a Green Line order whose size is equivalent to an entire Orange Line fleet.
BostonUrbEx

Postby BostonUrbEx » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:17 pm

Wow... and lets not miss the Green Line extension now finally exceeding even $1b... it's pegged at $1,327,517,000 now... Sheesh. Can't keep a damn thing under control.
BostonUrbEx

Postby Teamdriver » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:07 pm

News article : MBTA: Without tax hike, fares would need to increase 33 percent
By Matt Murphy State House News Service

'' Additional fare increases and service reductions will be required at the MBTA unless the Legislature approves additional funding for the authority, MBTA officials said Tuesday, less than a year after raising fares and accepting a state bailout.

T officials said they are facing a $120 million gap in the budget year that starts July 1.

MBTA Chief Financial Officer Jonathan Davis and Charles Planck presented a MassDOT committee with options that would close the budget gap, including a fare-only solution that would require a 33 percent increase, raising the cost of a bus ride from $1.50 to $2, and the cost of a subway ride from $2 to $2.60.

The most cost effective service reduction, according to Planck, would be to eliminate the 30 least used weekday and weekend bus routes and subsidies for six municipally run bus routes. Those bus service reductions would net the MBTA $25.2 million.

Davis said eliminating the $120 million deficit without fare increases or service cuts is "not going to be possible through cost containment or additional revenue sources that we have control of."

House Speaker Robert DeLeo has identified funding for the MBTA and funding to help remove state employees from the capital budget as problems that must be addressed in transportation financing legislation this year.

Gov. Deval Patrick in January placed before the Legislature a plan to generate $1.9 billion in new tax revenues and steer those new monies into the public education and transportation systems. Lawmakers are working on their response to Patrick’s proposal, with the House Ways and Means Committee budget rewrite due out April 10.''

http://www.enterprisenews.com/topstorie ... 33-percent
Teamdriver

Postby Rbts Stn » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:21 pm

The dance begins again.
Rbts Stn

Postby johnpbarlow » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:08 pm

wrt "...and the cost of a subway ride from $2 to $2.60...", I pay $2.50 every time I ride the green line or red line subway. Am I missing out on some $0.50 discount?
johnpbarlow

Postby octr202 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:11 pm

CharlieCard price is currently $2.00. Tickets are $2.50.

The 33% bump would put the Ticket price in the $3.30ish range.
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby johnpbarlow » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:20 pm

octr202 wrote:CharlieCard price is currently $2.00. Tickets are $2.50.

The 33% bump would put the Ticket price in the $3.30ish range.

To quote Dick Martin, "I didn't know that!"

And I live around Boston. I need to get a Charlie Card. Thanks.
johnpbarlow

Postby TomNelligan » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:09 pm

So when can we expect a website from Deval that explains how he plans to cut the rampant waste in state spending? As a taxpayer who's unfortunately not eligible for a no-show state job, a double-dip pension, or gold-plated benefits, I'd love to see that before I read about how he wants to increase state spending.
TomNelligan

Re: FY 2014 Transportation Plan and Fare Hikes Discussion

Postby NH2060 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:26 pm

As a frequent rider of the commuter rail on the North Shore just a whiff of service cuts literally terrifies me. I seriously don't think Beacon Hill realizes just how vital the mere existance of commuter rail service is to not just to the surrounding areas, but also to the city itself. If it wasn't for the train I would never go into the city. IMO It should be a FELONY for the state to have the MBTA stretched this thin.
NH2060

Postby ST214 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:42 pm

I read some of this, and it is mind boggling! For example, What would possibly cause MART to need an ADDITIONAL 5+ Million A YEAR????? So they can drive around empty buses for a longer period of time? Both Beacon Hill and Capitol Hill really need to clean up the system, cut the waste(IE:HANDOUTS and other things), and spend WITHIN their means. Looking around at Deval's plan, all I see are my taxes going up up up. I agree the MBTA needs more money, but I also need to survive. Beacon Hill wonders why people are leaving the state, well, they just need to read their plan and it will click. And this mileage tax and the "green" vehicle stuff..........
Hoping for a rebirth of the Screamer fleet.
ST214

Postby Komarovsky » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:59 pm

NH2060 wrote:I seriously don't think Beacon Hill realizes just how vital the mere existance of commuter rail service is to not just to the surrounding areas, but also to the city itself.

As someone who works at a company where 300 of the 600 people take the commuter rail into work, I totally agree. The economy of Boston and the surrounding areas would waste away and die if a big chunk of the white collar workers suddenly had to deal with pike traffic and Boston parking every week day.
Komarovsky

Postby Teamdriver » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:17 am

Bobby D speaks out :
DeLeo: Gov’s tax hike plan damaging

House Speaker Robert DeLeo will tell Hub business leaders today that working families and businesses shouldn’t have to suffer “collateral damage” from Gov. Deval Patrick’s plan to hike taxes by nearly $2 billion to pay for transportation and education.

“Sensitive to today’s economic realities, I’m worried that the administration’s proposal places too heavy a burden on working families and businesses struggling to survive,” DeLeo says in a speech this morning to the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce, according to his prepared remarks.

“We want to minimize the pressure on Massachusetts citizens as we find a way to meet our goals. If we are to pass a new revenue package, I believe it should be far more narrow in scope and of a significantly smaller size.”

Patrick has proposed nearly $2 billion in new taxes to fund education and transportation projects and wants to hike income taxes; make regular increases in MBTA fares, RMV fees, highway tolls and the gas tax; and raise taxes on cigarettes, candy and soda, while lowering the state sales tax.

Some lawmakers prefer separating the $1 billion in transportation financing from the full state budget, with user fees instead of broad-based taxes.

In his chamber speech, DeLeo will also discuss funding for education, another Patrick priority.

“These areas cannot be sufficiently addressed without the injection of additional revenue into the system,” DeLeo says. “While we agree we need to focus on these two areas, I do differ on the amount of new revenue that Massachusetts families and business should be asked to contribute.”

http://bostonherald.com/business/busine ... n_damaging
Teamdriver

Postby Rbts Stn » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:42 am

Every time: They threaten to cut back service dramatically

Every time: They threaten to raise prices ridiculously

Every time: The people shout, the people roar. All over the internets and at the water cooler

Every time: They cut back service at the margins (no Saturday commuter rail, for instance)

Every time: They raise prices incrementally

I guess the shouting on the internets and at the water coolers works some!

(As an aside, not knowing about a Charlie Card, when the signs at every station tell you the difference in pricing is hard to understand)
Rbts Stn

Postby octr202 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:26 am

Rbts Stn wrote:Every time: They threaten to cut back service dramatically

Every time: They threaten to raise prices ridiculously

Every time: The people shout, the people roar. All over the internets and at the water cooler

Every time: They cut back service at the margins (no Saturday commuter rail, for instance)

Every time: They raise prices incrementally

I guess the shouting on the internets and at the water coolers works some!

Except it's not really working...it's just kicking the can down the poorly maintained street/highway/subway track each year. Meanwhile, we get another year further into deferred maintenance, and another year more expensive for commuters without any end in sight (either controlling user costs or improving service). We were lucky that last year's fare increase did not cause a decline in ridership, but there's naturally going to be a limit to how many years going forward that can happen. We're seeing the very first stages of the "death spiral" on off-peak commuter rail service. Fares are up, service levels down. I wouldn't be surprised that if there is no long-term solutions this year, that we'll see the elimination of much of the weekend service that's left. Something similar may start happening with bus service as well.

At some point, we start to become wasteful - expensive resources and capital sitting idle for lack of funding to operate it, and the lost economic activity that it can generate. For one example, if we reduce the commuter rail system to essentially just a rush hour service, at what point does it no longer become cost-effective to maintain such a capital-intensive network for such a limited purpose. Once that conversation starts, we're heading down a rat hole that could take decades to dig out of.
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)