Rolling Stock Rotation

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Rolling Stock Rotation

Postby WatertownCarBarn » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:24 am

I was passing by the Cabot yards yesterday which made me wonder about the cars that were out of service.
During off peak hours, how is it decided which cars will be out and which will be in the yard? Is there a scheduled rotation or is it catch as catch can?
Thanks.
WatertownCarBarn

Re: Rolling Stock Rotation

Postby Disney Guy » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:58 am

(Not sure whether this should share the same thread)

Is/was it true that, on the Green Line, including back in the PCC era, the best riding cars were assigned to the D (Riverside) line while the "worst" riding cars were assigned to the C (Cleveland Circle) line? The idea being that the D line (with sustained high speeds) puts the most stress on cars while the C line (a straight shot down Beacon St.) put the least stress on cars (and perhaps get much more mileage before the cars finally have to go in for suspension work)?
Last edited by Disney Guy on Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(To the theater stage manager) Quit twiddling the knob and flickering the lights while the audience is entering and being seated. (To the subway motorman) Quit twiddling the knob and dinging the doors while passengers are getting off and others are waiting to board.
Disney Guy

Postby BostonUrbEx » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:40 am

Disney Guy wrote:(Not whether this should share the same thread)

Is/was it true that, on the Green Line, including back in the PCC era, the best riding cars were assigned to the D (Riverside) line while the "worst" riding cars were assigned to the C (Cleveland Circle) line? The idea being that the D line (with sustained high speeds) puts the most stress on cars while the C line (a straight shot down Beacon St.) put the least stress on cars (and perhaps get much more mileage before the cars finally have to go in for suspension work)?

I've heard something very similar, except I've heard that more recently: Boeing LRVs were mostly stuck on the C Line. I can't recall why, though. I guess they just weren't particularly good on turns.
BostonUrbEx

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:48 am

BostonUrbEx wrote:

I've heard something very similar, except I've heard that more recently: Boeing LRVs were mostly stuck on the C Line. I can't recall why, though. I guess they just weren't particularly good on turns.

Shortest non- street-running branch, and smaller hills than the B. Their braking performance was a little wonky down the hill on the B, so in their last decade of service they stayed primarily C and D. Although I can remember a couple summers in the early-00's where all of a sudden the C would go all-7's and the Boeings did get put heavily on the B for weeks on end before it switched back.

They always did a lot of D running because they ran much smoother than the 7's at >50 MPH.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby typesix » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:56 pm

Is/was it true that, on the Green Line, including back in the PCC era, the best riding cars were assigned to the D (Riverside) line while the "worst" riding cars were assigned to the C (Cleveland Circle) line?

The worst riding cars were the Picture Windows and their regular routes were Riverside and Cleveland Circle. .
typesix

Postby wicked » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:59 pm

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:They always did a lot of D running because they ran much smoother than the 7's at >50 MPH.

The LRVs did something well? Who knew?
wicked

Postby typesix » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:30 pm

wicked wrote:The LRVs did something well? Who knew?

The LRV's mono-motor design, although not successful in the US, could give better traction on slippery rail.
typesix

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:31 am

typesix wrote:
wicked wrote:The LRVs did something well? Who knew?

The LRV's mono-motor design, although not successful in the US, could give better traction on slippery rail.

And they had less roof-mount hardware and lower center of gravity than the 7's, so less hunting at top speed. Being a standee on a Kinki going 50 MPH can be white-knuckle riding if you don't have a solid grip with how violently they could rock back and forth. Going deep into Newton before they lowered the speed limits was the one and only scenario where I'd look forward to getting a Boeing over a 7, especially if I was carrying bags with me.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby Gerry6309 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:52 pm

On the last day the LRVs ran, Irode a T7 out to Reservoir to meet the final run there. It was like getting off a dinghy onto the Queen Mary. The LRVs rode well from beginning to end. That being said, one must consider that the Type 7s fare better than the LRVs in other areas, both aesthetically and operationally. Appearance and riding quality are the only areas where the LRVs were substantially better.
Gerry. STM/BSRA

The next stop is Washington. Change for Forest Hills Trains on the Winter St. Platform, and Everett Trains on the Summer St. Platform. This is an Ashmont train, change for Braintree at Columbia.
Gerry6309

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)