MBTA reinstates weekend trolley service for entire E branch

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

MBTA reinstates weekend trolley service for entire E branch

Postby Teamdriver » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:03 pm

The MBTA has permanently reinstated weekend trolley service for the entire E branch of the Green Line, officials at the agency announced Friday.

On July 1, the T stopped running Saturday and Sunday service between the E branch’s five westernmost stops: Fenwood Road, Mission Park, Riverway, Back of the Hill and Heath Street stations. Trolleys served Brigham Circle Station and others stops to the east.

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/rox ... rolle.html
Teamdriver

Re: MBTA reinstates weekend trolley service for entire E bra

Postby The EGE » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:52 pm

Entirely unsurprising.

Service has been extended to the entire branch without adding more trolleys or more trolley drivers, he said. Thus, T officials said the agency has incurred no additional costs.

So, as expected, it wasn't a savings at all.
The EGE

Postby BostonUrbEx » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:50 pm

Not news at this point anymore, but hey, let's let the snails at the Globe/Boston.com catch up. We've already known about this here, and people caught on at Twitter. Hey, even Universalhub covered this weeks ago at this point.

The EGE wrote:Entirely unsurprising.

Service has been extended to the entire branch without adding more trolleys or more trolley drivers, he said. Thus, T officials said the agency has incurred no additional costs.

I don't see how they expected to make any savings. In the time that it takes to change ends and throw switches, they could already have been at Heath. Plus, you have to pay people to throw the switches. So ridiculous...
BostonUrbEx

Postby CircusFreakGRITZ » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:56 pm

They have been doing this for months now, ever since the weekend after the derailment at Brigham Circle. Glad it's back for good.
CircusFreakGRITZ

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:38 pm

The Winter 2013 subway schedule (effective 12/29/12) reflects the changes.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby jamesinclair » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:05 am

R36 Combine Coach wrote:The Winter 2013 subway schedule (effective 12/29/12) reflects the changes.

...why is late night sunday service more frequent than weekday service?
jamesinclair

Postby wicked » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:53 am

My knowledge of Mass. legislative districts is a bit fuzzy nowadays. Does anyone of significance represent either Mission Hill or the Heath Street area? The T may have wanted to get their attention in an attempt to yank on some purse strings.

I know the strong desire of the VA for a one-seat ride from Heath Street has also been mentioned here before.
wicked

Postby CircusFreakGRITZ » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:37 pm

wicked wrote:

My knowledge of Mass. legislative districts is a bit fuzzy nowadays. Does anyone of significance represent either Mission Hill or the Heath Street area? The T may have wanted to get their attention in an attempt to yank on some purse strings.

I know the strong desire of the VA for a one-seat ride from Heath Street has also been mentioned here before.

Actually, the VA isn't even open on weekends. When I called them for an interview about the possible loss of weekend E service (last Spring) they blatantly told me they wouldn't be affected at all by a lack of weekend E service.
CircusFreakGRITZ

Postby CRail » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:56 pm

jamesinclair wrote:...why is late night sunday service more frequent than weekday service?

Probably because they're running singles on Sunday so they want to shorten the headway to prevent delays caused by crowding. Makes perfect sense to me.
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby 3rdrail » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:46 pm

The title is a little misleading as one might surmise that the Arborway or Forest Hills is going to be served again, which of course at this point there's probably more liklihood that Elvis lives. Actually, I'm not sure if the Arborway was ever officially erased as the E Branch's terminal. Maybe Teamdriver is at the acme of developing info and the T's going to grab up NJ PCC's and run them through Forest Hills onto the Boston-Providence Mainline to Providence ! Yup.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby Teamdriver » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:07 pm

My Rail , last time I rode the trolley to and from the Arborway , it was to Triple D's , customer appreciation day .
Teamdriver

Postby 3rdrail » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:22 pm

Another block and you would have had your pick of a half dozen joints with no official closing time. :-)
~Paul Joyce~

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby BigUglyCat » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:20 pm

3rdrail wrote:The title is a little misleading as one might surmise that the Arborway or Forest Hills is going to be served again, which of course at this point there's probably more liklihood that Elvis lives.

That was my first thought when I saw the title. Well, I guess that shows my age.
BigUglyCat

Postby 3rdrail » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:01 pm

Age=experience=knowledge. I was just watching the Three Stooges Marathon on Channel 38 and had the thought that I wondered if kids get the Stooges nowadays as the Stooges' dialog uses many obsolete terms.
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Postby Teamdriver » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:30 am

3rdrail wrote:Age=experience=knowledge. I was just watching the Three Stooges Marathon on Channel 38 and had the thought that I wondered if kids get the Stooges nowadays as the Stooges' dialog uses many obsolete terms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... mlg#t=314s
Teamdriver

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)