Big Round "T" Signs

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Big Round "T" Signs

Postby BostonUrbEx » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:10 am

I came across this: http://www.mbtagifts.com/shop.php?p=434

And I saw: "Sign may have been used in active service on the MBTA, MTA or BERy"

Did BERy really use these signs? Just seems like something that would be concocted during the 1960s or 1970s.

Also, I've always been under the impression the white part is a hard white plastic, and they're supposed to be backlit. Is this true? Description doesn't really say anything about that. I always presumed they were installed with the intention of being lit, but then they never replaced light bulbs. (Sounds like something the MBTA would do, right? :-P)
BostonUrbEx

Re: Big Round "T" Signs

Postby MBTA3247 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:47 pm

The big "T" logo was part of the new branding created after the MBTA was created, so it can't date before the mid-1960s.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby Type7trolley » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:20 pm

Looking around their site, they tend to put that little "Sign may have been used in active service on the MBTA, MTA or BERy" on everything, do you really think BERy had signs like this anywhere? ;)
As 3247 said it dates to when the MBTA came along and created that whole new signage convention with color coded lines. Not a bad job considering we're still using it across the system virtually unchanged almost 50 years later.

In regards to the backlighting, I believe the originals actually were. Like you said I imagine they weren't maintained much, and over time plain fiberglass and metal ones became more common, especially at less busy stations (most of the commuter rail "T" signs are just metal). However, I think they're going back to the plastic backlit signs looking at some of the recently renovated stations (Copley, Science park), so maybe the cycle is starting to repeat. Does anyone have any night shots that can prove it?
Type7trolley

Postby jr145 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:45 pm

I don't have any night shots but I can confirm that the sign at Science Park is illuminated.

Also I believe that the "Sign may have been used in active service on the MBTA, MTA or BERy" is just a disclaimer. Easier to copy and paste the same disclaimer than to make it unique for each item you post.
jr145

Postby atsf sp » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:00 am

This is definately a real sign. I remember seeing them as a kid. I believe there are still some around the system today.
"Why would you take a train to go see another train?"
Some people just don't understand.
My Photos
atsf sp

Postby diburning » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:15 am

There's plenty of them still around. The one sold by Ward Maps looks like one of the ones removed during the Copley reconstruction.
diburning

Postby sery2831 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:39 am

jr145 wrote:I don't have any night shots but I can confirm that the sign at Science Park is illuminated.

They do light up.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby RailBus63 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:46 pm

Those signs used to be found at most rapid transit and Central Subway stations, usually mounted on the sidewalk outside an entrance.
RailBus63

Postby The EGE » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:17 pm

All the Green Line subway stops except Arlington and Boylston have them, as does Science Park, and all of the D branch except Riverside, Woodland, Brookline Hills, and Longwood. Many, like North Station's pair, are mounted to the side of buildings. I don't believe there are any on the surface sections of the B or C branches.

EDIT: The E has pairs at Fenwood and Mission Park plus an inbound at Riverway.
The EGE

Postby The EGE » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:59 am

The EGE

Postby BostonUrbEx » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:17 pm

Great shot, EGE. These signs look really decent lit up!

They're much less awkward when they're attached to the side/corner of a structure, however. As opposed to being on a skinny little pole.
BostonUrbEx

Postby CircusFreakGRITZ » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:22 pm

The EGE wrote:All the Green Line subway stops except Arlington and Boylston have them, as does Science Park, and all of the D branch except Riverside, Woodland, Brookline Hills, and Longwood. Many, like North Station's pair, are mounted to the side of buildings. I don't believe there are any on the surface sections of the B or C branches.

EDIT: The E has pairs at Fenwood and Mission Park plus an inbound at Riverway.

To clarify, the signs on the E branch do NOT light up. They are a different style. They are not that bubbly shape like the majority (and like the one on the MBTA Gifts website); they are flat and the "T" is slightly different.

Fenwood Rd: http://subwaynut.com/mbta/green_line/fe ... _road1.jpg

Mission Park: http://subwaynut.com/mbta/green_line/mi ... _park4.jpg

Also, I know that the sign near the Eliot stop on the D branch (it's actually adjacent to Route 9 westbound) lights up; I saw it this past week. Not sure about the others on the D branch, but I believe they light up as well.

Edit: Here's Riverway: http://subwaynut.com/mbta/green_line/ri ... erway7.jpg
CircusFreakGRITZ

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)