Cape Flyer Discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

Re: Cape Flyer Discussion

Postby StefanW » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:48 am

highgreen215 wrote:Thanks, GP40MC, for your regular detailed reporting. A solid year with traffic patterns now established. Now they have to further improve with better reliability, faster speeds, a connections stop on the other side of the canal, and stops at Sandwich and West Barnstable.

I hope someone at the MBTA / MassDOT will also commit to getting the CapeFlyer real-time tracking more reliable. Two seasons in a row now the CapeFlyer trains have been mostly absent from the MBTA data which feeds all of the third-party applications (including mine). If / when the CapeFlyer train does show up in the data, it doesn't have any of the stop names. Also the entire data feed goes down once the CapeFlyer reaches its destination. (If you've ever seen my map app reporting "There may be a problem with this MBTA data feed right now" that's the reason 99% of the time.)

Also if the CapeFlyer train consist isn't assembled with a CTC and working PTIS then there's nothing to send the GPS location anyway.
The Blue Line is good for Lynn, and Lynn is good for the Blue Line.

My live MBTA mapping apps:
https://sites.harvard.edu/~wuensch/T/commuter-rail-map.html
https://sites.harvard.edu/~wuensch/T/subway-map.html
StefanW

Postby BenH » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:50 am

highgreen215 wrote:I'm not sure about Buzzards Bay Station but most homes on nearby Taylor's Point, where the Mass. Maritime Academy is located, were completely destroyed by Hurricane Carol in 1954. It also washed out the roadbed and trestle at Wareham Narrows. The handsome old Wareham Station (torn down by the New Haven in the late '50s or early '60s) had markings on the exterior wall indicating the height of flood waters in 1938 and 1954. If I recall they showed the 1954 depth at about 4 feet and 1938 a foot or so higher.

You can view images of the damage caused by the 1938 New England hurricane in the document posted on this link - in particular, pictures of the damage in and around the Buzzards Bay station.

The Devastation and Restoration of New Englands Vital Life-Line
New Haven Railroad | 1938
BenH

Postby Trinnau » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:42 pm

StefanW wrote:I hope someone at the MBTA / MassDOT will also commit to getting the CapeFlyer real-time tracking more reliable. Two seasons in a row now the CapeFlyer trains have been mostly absent from the MBTA data which feeds all of the third-party applications (including mine). If / when the CapeFlyer train does show up in the data, it doesn't have any of the stop names. Also the entire data feed goes down once the CapeFlyer reaches its destination. (If you've ever seen my map app reporting "There may be a problem with this MBTA data feed right now" that's the reason 99% of the time.)

Also if the CapeFlyer train consist isn't assembled with a CTC and working PTIS then there's nothing to send the GPS location anyway.

Part of the problem is that it isn't really an MBTA service, it is a CCRTA service. Basically the CCRTA pays "cost" for the operation, while MassDOT/MBTA pay to maintain the lines and equipment. Essentially, this is a regular charter train. From capeflyer.com
the CCRTA, in coordination with MassDOT and the MBTA, is introducing the CapeFLYER train service...

Notice also the MBTA doesn't put out any service alerts for Cape Flyer service if it is delayed. The stations beyond Middleboro aren't on the MBTA commuter rail network so they likely aren't contained in MBTA's database when the feed is pushed. Though that could probably be fixed, it's a matter of who is paying for it. Nothing comes free. Additionally, as a reminder a data feed needs power to be transmitted. Massachusetts has a locomotive idling law, so the Flyer is likely shut down on Saturday and Sunday while it lays over in Hyannis - not sure if they have a plugin down there. That means the CTC stops transmitting without power.

Probably the only reason MBTA actually provides the data is because the train is setup with it so why not? Also, the only visibility MBTA/Keolis has on the train beyond Middleboro is the GPS. Everywhere else on their network they can see approximately where a train is on the dispatcher's screen.
Trinnau

Postby highgreen215 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:41 am

Thanks, BenH, for posting that commemorative booklet. Can you imagine a rail transportation artery of that size today recovering to partial operation in a mere two weeks. It would probably take months, maybe years, throttled by environmental studies, stalled permits, law suits, government agency foot dragging and everything else. That was a heroic accomplishment.
highgreen215

Postby MBTA3247 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:39 am

None of that applies to repair jobs.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby BandA » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:36 am

In 1938 the New Haven was 3 years into bankruptcy. It's impressive that they were able to put their system back together, and we benefit today because they did, but would they have been financially better off if they had liquidated the whole system or parts such as Cape Cod? And how did they have enough capital while in bankruptcy?
BandA

Postby Bill Reidy » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:08 pm

Wareham Week reports the CapeFLYER carried 13,678 passengers this season, 400 more than last year, with one less weekend of service this year.

http://wareham-ma.villagesoup.com/p/cap ... se/1569861

BandA wrote:What does 15-20ft waves do to Buzzard's Bay station?

Buzzards Bay village, as well as other communities along the upper reaches of Buzzards Bay have seen storm surges of this magnitude during hurricanes of years past, when the storms pass just west of the region. It's interesting the New Haven learned this lesson well, while the state, not so much. Signal bungalows installed by the New Haven in the 1950s in Wareham center and Buzzards Bay were elevated on concrete pillars -- evidence is still present today. The signal work at Academy Drive in Buzzards Bay in the past two years included a bungalow at the intersection of Main Street and Academy Drive. It is not elevated. We'll see how the equipment holds up during the next storm surge.
Bill Reidy

Postby ohalloranchris » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:54 pm

A cruise ship scraped the underside of the Canal RR Bridge. Video included:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/1 ... story.html
ohalloranchris

Postby ebtmikado » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:31 am

I wonder whether Cape Flyer operations for 2017 will be affected by Iowa Pacific's firing 38 of Mass Coastal's 50 employees.

Lee
ebtmikado

Postby GP40MC1118 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:34 am

Where did the news of the layoffs come from? Is that official?

Been hearing similar rumors, as well as other stuff...

D
GP40MC1118

Postby GP40MC1118 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:37 am

Could most that be seasonal Cape Cod Central layoffs?

D
GP40MC1118

Postby deathtopumpkins » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:52 pm

ebtmikado wrote:I wonder whether Cape Flyer operations for 2017 will be affected by Iowa Pacific's firing 38 of Mass Coastal's 50 employees.

Lee

I doubt it - the train's operated by Keolis and managed by CCRTA, and runs over track owned by MassDOT. Only involvement IP had at all was dispatching (IIRC).
Call me Connor or DTP

Railfan & Roadgeek from the North Shore of Mass.
deathtopumpkins

Postby MickD » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:27 pm

When & why were these folks let go ??
I would guess it'd impact the tourist operation..
MickD

Postby Arlington » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:36 pm

Best guess I've seen is that IP layoffs were a normal seasonal layoff that the media construed as unexpected news.
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington

Postby MickD » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:43 pm

That would seem to make most sense..
garbage train from Yarmouth has obviously not been affected
as I heard it chuggin' through this week
I live in Dennis & work in Hyannis and pass the yard
every work day,and it's always virtually dead this time of year..
One thing I did notice was a coach in IP colors I'd never seen before..
MickD

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)