Future of the Blue Line ?

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Future of the Blue Line ?

Postby CRail » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:07 am

In the movie Titanic, as the ship is sinking it is realized that frivolously slipping money to ship officials is no longer of any benefit to them as they'll never be able to use it anyway. Point being when it comes right down to it, it's not about the money! If it were all about the money, we'd simply abolish transit altogether and make people worry about themselves. It isn't about cost, it's about providing a standard of service effectively. Some private companies are going back to human telephone operators because people are fed up with automated switch boards, and there are a few stores which refuse to implement self checkout (which I refuse to utilize, unless CVS becomes willing to pay me at a Cashier's rate while I'm doing that job for them). A human simply offers a better service, and computers can't compete with human judgement.
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby 3rdrail » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:38 pm

CRail wrote: Some private companies are going back to human telephone operators because people are fed up with automated switch boards

There is a rumor going around that the T is going to "suspend" all carmens contracts and outsource, bringing in an all-Indian work force. Instead of diesel and electric vehicles, rick-shaws will be used instead. It is supposed to save millions of dollars in the years ahead.
Attachments
IndiaRickshaw_wideweb__470x313,0.jpg
IndiaRickshaw_wideweb__470x313,0.jpg (39.75 KiB) Viewed 1533 times
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby jr145 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:33 pm

They're not doing the rickshaws, but they are ordering new blue line cars. Capacity is 500 each:

jr145

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:39 pm

jr145 wrote:They're not doing the rickshaws, but they are ordering new blue line cars. Capacity is 500 each:

So a typical day for the Red Line.
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby Disney Guy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:38 pm

CRail wrote:... and there are a few stores which refuse to implement self checkout ... A human simply offers a better service, and computers can't compete with human judgement.

This is why self service checkouts are such a pain in the rear:

Too often it gets stuck going around in circles, "Put item in bag," "Unexpected item, remove it." "Polly put the kettle on." "Sukie take the kettle off." ad infinitum until a clerk comes to enter a password and push some buttons.

(RE rapid transit train in India above) They say that, 100 years ago, students and alumni of Yale University climbed aboard the roofs of the open trolleys serving the Yale Bowl when the cars really got packed. Today we call such an action "train surfing."
(To the theater stage manager) Quit twiddling the knob and flickering the lights while the audience is entering and being seated. (To the subway motorman) Quit twiddling the knob and dinging the doors while passengers are getting off and others are waiting to board.
Disney Guy

Postby BigUglyCat » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:54 pm

jr145 wrote:They're not doing the rickshaws, but they are ordering new blue line cars. Capacity is 500 each:

American, looking at photo: "So, trains are really big in India, huh?"

Indian visitor: "No, same size."
BigUglyCat

Postby Teamdriver » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:49 am

This was on Universal Hub this morning ( Thurs. 12.06.12 )....
http://www.universalhub.com/2012/lynn-or-bust
Attachments
bluelinelynn.jpg
http://www.universalhub.com/2012/lynn-or-bust
bluelinelynn.jpg (41.13 KiB) Viewed 1400 times
Teamdriver

Postby BostonUrbEx » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:12 pm

Hey, that's a pic I took. :D

I called the number to try to get more info or be involved, but got no answer... no reply or email either. I wasn't able to go to the meeting, so I was hoping to get some info as to the T Riders Union plans here... Are they trying to organize something similar to STEP, but for BLX rather than GLX?
BostonUrbEx

Postby MarkB » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:11 pm

They don't want a better system - they want a larger system. And somehow they think that dumping more riders into downtown connecting stations without any improvements in existing infrastructure is a good idea. Good thing we can print money.
MarkB

Postby The EGE » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:24 pm

Well the good news on that front is that State is renovated and Government Center is planned to. The Red/Blue connector should be built before Lynn, though.
The EGE

Postby BostonUrbEx » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:31 pm

The EGE wrote:Well the good news on that front is that State is renovated and Government Center is planned to. The Red/Blue connector should be built before Lynn, though.

100% this. And I'm rather concerned that there wasn't as much of a shout out for the public commentary period when they began to shut down the RBC. Speaking of which, we have yet to hear the result, despite the public commenting period being well over. This is especially concerning seeing as there will be less capacity for transfers at Government Center once the GLX is complete. Our system will not be capable of reaching optimal capacity if we don't have the RBC....
BostonUrbEx

Postby jamesinclair » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:25 am

Disney Guy wrote:
CRail wrote:... and there are a few stores which refuse to implement self checkout ... A human simply offers a better service, and computers can't compete with human judgement.

This is why self service checkouts are such a pain in the rear:

Too often it gets stuck going around in circles, "Put item in bag," "Unexpected item, remove it." "Polly put the kettle on." "Sukie take the kettle off." ad infinitum until a clerk comes to enter a password and push some buttons.
."

To be fair, we shouldnt confuse abysmal implementation with an intrinsic part of the technology.

Ive been to supermarkets with self checkout where you roll your items down long belts just like a normal supermarket. No idiotic and frustrating "remove item from baggage area" message.
jamesinclair

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)