Grand Junction DETOUR Discussion

Discussion relating to the commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (Boston Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.mbta.com.

Moderator: sery2831

Re: Grand Junction Detour Discussion

Postby MBTA1016 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:23 pm

chrisf wrote:
BostonUrbEx wrote:On topic: did the "hospital train" ever end up running today? Was in the area, dropped by Union Station before and after lunch, didn't see any activity other than CSX.

Seems so:
http://photos.greatrails.net/showpic/?p ... ate&page=1

There are a few other photos as well.

Was this suppose to be an equipment move of multiple cars and not one kcar with two locos and the switcher. I thought more equipment would get moved then one car.

I got an idea that probably has multiple flaws. Send the cars to beacon park and somehow get a chinook helicopter to lift them to bet. It's quicker then a 100+ mile trip.
Hopefully they get the bridge open before the real winter and possible blizzards set in on us
Josh.W
Formally mbta fan
WE ARE BOSTON, WE ARE BOSTON STRONG

Flicker: http://www.flickr.com/photos/116905626@N06/
Blog: http://jpwilkinson2448.blogspot.com/?m=1
MBTA1016

Postby BigUglyCat » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:11 pm

Mbta fan wrote:...I got an idea that probably has multiple flaws. Send the cars to beacon park and somehow get a chinook helicopter to lift them to bet. It's quicker then a 100+ mile trip...

This one should provide some entertainment for the BET folks (ref. D.H.). :) :) :)
BigUglyCat

Postby MBTA1016 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:18 pm

Not to mention one hell of a sight for mass pike users and drivers on I-93.
Last edited by MBTA1016 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh.W
Formally mbta fan

MBTA1016

Postby agreinhold » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:07 pm

The work on the Grand Junction Bridge is underway. The track is severed at the Cambridge side. Several beams have been removed and at least one new beam has been installed.
agreinhold

Postby octr202 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:10 pm

At the risk of going back to serious stuff, tonight there appeared to be some evidence of the alternate servicing arrangements starting. From 359 (just barely still light out) it looked like an Amtrak P42 and a cabbage sitting in front of the diesel shop at BET. They appeared to be by themselves, not with a full consist. Waiting for servicing that would have been done at Southampton St normally?
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Postby AEM7AC920 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:21 pm

MEC407 wrote:The Globe is covering it:

The Boston Globe wrote:The graffiti-covered railroad span that threads diagonally under the Boston University Bridge will be closed to most train traffic for two weeks, after an inspection found some of its crossbeams need to be replaced.

Many people are unaware that the 90-year-old railroad bridge across the Charles River is in use at all, but it is a critical piece of transportation infrastructure. It is part of the little known Grand Junction Railroad, which starts in Brighton and wends its way through Cambridge, Somerville, Everett, and Chelsea, connecting train lines that go to North Station with the ones that lead to South Station.

The freight line’s tracks are also used by Amtrak and the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority to shift engines and coaches for maintenance.

Read more at: http://bostonglobe.com/metro/2012/11/23 ... story.html

That was all covered a few pages back in this link...
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920

Postby MEC407 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:37 pm

And you went back through the pages of the thread just to dig out my post, quote the whole thing, and give a one-line response? Really?

My post was in response to the person who wondered why the Boston media wasn't covering this issue. Up to that point, no one had posted any links to newspaper articles about it. So I posted the link, as well as a brief summary (as is mandated by RAILROAD.NET policy).
MEC407
Moderator: New England Forum — GE Locomotives Forum — Pan Am Railways Forum
Central Maine & Quebec/Montreal, Maine & Atlantic/Bangor & Aroostook Forum
Housatonic Forum — Providence & Worcester Forum — Boston & Maine/Maine Central Forum
MEC407

Postby The EGE » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:43 pm

A Wikipedia user just uploaded this picture of repairs being started:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... rs.agr.jpg
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby AEM7AC920 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:01 am

MEC407 wrote:And you went back through the pages of the thread just to dig out my post, quote the whole thing, and give a one-line response? Really?

My post was in response to the person who wondered why the Boston media wasn't covering this issue. Up to that point, no one had posted any links to newspaper articles about it. So I posted the link, as well as a brief summary (as is mandated by RAILROAD.NET policy).

What does that have to do with my post? A few people have questioned on what alternatives Amtrak and the other railroads are doing during the bridge outage and all I did was refer them to the link you posted that answers there questions.... So I don't see what the big deal is?
AEM7AC920

Postby MBTA1016 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:08 am

Hopefully the weather holds so there's no delays to the work being done. I like my idea for moving equipment.
Josh.W
Formally mbta fan

MBTA1016

Postby MEC407 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:15 am

AEM7AC920 wrote:
What does that have to do with my post? A few people have questioned on what alternatives Amtrak and the other railroads are doing during the bridge outage and all I did was refer them to the link you posted that answers there questions.... So I don't see what the big deal is?

I guess I misunderstood the intent of your post. I thought you were criticizing me for posting the link. Sorry 'bout that.
MEC407
Moderator: New England Forum — GE Locomotives Forum — Pan Am Railways Forum
Central Maine & Quebec/Montreal, Maine & Atlantic/Bangor & Aroostook Forum
Housatonic Forum — Providence & Worcester Forum — Boston & Maine/Maine Central Forum
MEC407

Postby sery2831 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:37 am

octr202 wrote:At the risk of going back to serious stuff, tonight there appeared to be some evidence of the alternate servicing arrangements starting. From 359 (just barely still light out) it looked like an Amtrak P42 and a cabbage sitting in front of the diesel shop at BET. They appeared to be by themselves, not with a full consist. Waiting for servicing that would have been done at Southampton St normally?

Actually all work on the DE loco fleet is done in Albany. I hear of an Amtrak equipment extra move via the detour, so these maybe going South and not at BET for work.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby AEM7AC920 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:14 am

MEC407 wrote:
AEM7AC920 wrote:

I guess I misunderstood the intent of your post. I thought you were criticizing me for posting the link. Sorry 'bout that.

Lol no harm no foul ;)
AEM7AC920

Postby octr202 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:53 am

Sorry to stir the pot with my question. I was aware of the article, just always aware that what a news article reports and what's actually happening might be somewhat different. Which I think is why many of us hang out here. ;-)

Sery, any word if the AMTK equipment will go with one of the regular MBCR detour trains, or will AMTK have to run their own equipment move?
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Postby Teamdriver » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:18 am

The EGE wrote:A Wikipedia user just uploaded this picture of repairs being started:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... rs.agr.jpg

That is a very nice picture. I have been over it , and under it , and never really appreciated it. It seems to be not that massive for its important task. In days past, you could have probably gone to Duane's scrap yard and got its replacement cheap.
Teamdriver

PreviousNext

Return to MBTA Rail Operations