Grand Junction DETOUR Discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Grand Junction Detour Discussion

Postby agreinhold » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:09 pm

Teamdriver wrote:
The EGE wrote:A Wikipedia user just uploaded this picture of repairs being started:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... rs.agr.jpg

That is a very nice picture. I have been over it , and under it , and never really appreciated it. It seems to be not that massive for its important task. In days past, you could have probably gone to Duane's scrap yard and got its replacement cheap.

Thanks (it's my picture), but the foliage obscures the upstream half of the bridge, which once carried a second track, so the bridge is a bit more massive than my photo suggests.
agreinhold

Postby CPF363 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:47 pm

What is the status of the old New Haven line between West Concord and Framingham? Could this route be updated to be a connection between the south side and the north side?
CPF363

Postby ThinkNarrow » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:06 pm

CPF363 wrote:What is the status of the old New Haven line between West Concord and Framingham? Could this route be updated to be a connection between the south side and the north side?

It was torn up several years ago. the first section to go was West Concord to Sudbury at least ten years ago, and then Sudbury to Framingham about five years ago. I think that a bridge was removed in West Concord, and a lot of it is now just grass.

-John
ThinkNarrow

Postby boatsmate » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:15 am

this morning B&M dispatcher gave Form D 305 to MBTA extra 1052 and the Pilot with 4 Engines and 8 Cars from Harvard to Barber with permission into the yard at Burncoat st and ok to go as far as New Bond St. she was going to let the P&W know the expected time of arrivial for the pilot to take the train the rest of the way.

Does anyone know the sped for Passanger on the Worcester Branch??? I know freight is 25.

Thanks
boatsmate

Postby newpylong » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:38 am

same speed as freight.
newpylong

Postby dth9269 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:57 pm

boatsmate wrote:this morning B&M dispatcher gave Form D 305 to MBTA extra 1052 and the Pilot with 4 Engines and 8 Cars from Harvard to Barber with ...

I'm not sure how liberally to interpret "this morning", but I was up early for hockey at ~5:00AM today and saw quite the consist heading outbound at West Cambridge...at least 5 locomotives (1 Amtrak), two bi-level passenger cars, two Amtrak coaches, and one of the engines was in a paint scheme (cream colored?) I didn't recognize. Though take this with a grain of salt...the coffee was still brewing.

Dan
dth9269

Postby Steve Wagner » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:53 pm

I'm sorry to be submitting this so long after the fact, but I got to the road crossings at The Willows on the east side of Ayer about 8:40 a.m. last Sunday (December 2). CSX 617 and 845 were heading east on the Stony Brook branch with about 57 cars. The first five cars were white Union Pacific "Chilled Express" reefers with ARMN reporting marks probably heading to the produce center in Everett and Chelsea via Lawrence and/or Lowell, the next seven were gondolas evidently in scrap metal service. The rest were one bulkhead flat loaded with steel, one empty center beam, one covered hopper, ten tank cars (mostly longish ones for LPG) and 30 boxcars, at least 12 of which were high cube. (I tallied the cars a little later on after beating the train to Forge Village.)

While that train was crossing the road this train came west on the commuter line from Boston: Three MBTA locos, two double-deck commuter cars, seven to nine single deck commuter cars, a "Cabbage" unit used on the Boston end of Downeaster trains, possibly another locomotive, and MBTA Geep 904. Obviously this was ferrying equipment from the "New BET" back to the Worcester-Framingham line to South Station. It passed me so fast that I didn't have time to count all the locos and cars correctly, let alone record their numbers.
Steve Wagner

Postby atsf sp » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:17 pm

The cabbage should have been the 90224.
"Why would you take a train to go see another train?"
Some people just don't understand.
My Photos
atsf sp

Postby MBTA1016 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:26 pm

atsf sp wrote:The cabbage should have been the 90224.

Does this mean Amtrak is still bringing downeaster equipment down to southhapmton st?
Josh.W
Formally mbta fan
WE ARE BOSTON, WE ARE BOSTON STRONG

Flicker: http://www.flickr.com/photos/116905626@N06/
Blog: http://jpwilkinson2448.blogspot.com/?m=1
MBTA1016

Postby sery2831 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:49 pm

What else would Amtrak do then?
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby MBTA1016 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:47 pm

sery2831 wrote:What else would Amtrak do then?

Can't Amtrak and the T do a deal to arrange for minor stuff to be done at BET. I thought this has been done before between both of them.
Josh.W
Formally mbta fan
WE ARE BOSTON, WE ARE BOSTON STRONG

Flicker: http://www.flickr.com/photos/116905626@N06/
Blog: http://jpwilkinson2448.blogspot.com/?m=1
MBTA1016

Postby sery2831 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:27 am

They can, but since the detour trains are now running regularly, there is no point to have an arrangement.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby arcadia terminal » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:17 am

The servicing of the Amtrak equiptment on the north side may be a craft "union" issue so they have to move them to the south side and their home terminal / shop?

Peter
Arcadia Terminal Street & Dock R.R
arcadia terminal

Postby Arborwayfan » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:29 am

Or possibly a capacity issue? After all, those Amtrak cars aren't normally serviced on the northside. And of course Amtrak's got the workers on the south side, and might as well have something for them to do. Maybe the T/MBCR (whoever Amtrak would have to pay) just wanted more to service the cars than to move them. But that's just an outsider's guess.
Arborwayfan

Postby mr. mick » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:15 am

Meanwhile, just curious: does anyone have a current status of progress on the repairs to the bridge (e.g., 'halfway complete', etc., or 'about another week", etc.)?
mr. mick

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)