Grand Junction DETOUR Discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Grand Junction Detour Discussion

Postby Dick H » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:59 pm

Details here on this PAR Thread

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=129862&start=15
Dick H

Postby theseaandalifesaver » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:30 pm

I walked by the BU bridge to see what was going on. It appears that they've taken all the rails and ties out and are replacing pieces under the bridge. They were working on it this Sunday afternoon.
theseaandalifesaver

Postby KEN PATRICK » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:07 am

is the bridge being raised over storrow? looking back at the $900k fire truck demolished under the bridge, it seems to me the span supports could be raised 3' on the bu side with some jacking . who owns the bridge?

ken patrick
KEN PATRICK

Postby millerm277 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:54 am

KEN PATRICK wrote:is the bridge being raised over storrow? looking back at the $900k fire truck demolished under the bridge, it seems to me the span supports could be raised 3' on the bu side with some jacking . who owns the bridge?

ken patrick

It'd be pointless, it's 11' already.

There's 10' and 11' clearance bridges/ramps/tunnels in both directions, if you're traveling that road with a >10' vehicle, you're going to hit something, it's just a matter of what you hit, and you weren't supposed to be there to begin with. Raising the bridge might make it possible to go between a certain additional combination of ramps without hitting something (not that it would be legal to be doing), but it is not the only obstacle to traveling most of the road in a vehicle of that height, there are still others of equal or lower clearance.
millerm277

Postby Tobin Dax » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:24 pm

Picture from the Cambridge side this afternoon:

Tobin Dax

Postby The EGE » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:29 pm

It is a pity that the second bridge is not being restored to lower the chance of this ever happening again. If it is in usable condition, a second track could be extended from Memorial Drive to the bridge over Storrow Drive.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:19 pm

after this 2nd construction project is completed, I don't see the Grand Junction going out of service anytime soon seeing as this is a major rehab project. MBCR isn't going to spend the money to fix up the other half, not needed. The next large rehab of this line would be if Worcester service got diverted to North Station
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby Steve Wagner » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:37 am

Back to the detours:

A "hospital shuttle" outbound on the Fitchburg Route at Concord about 7:40 this morning had, at least, two of the longer T Commuter Rail locos, two double-deck coaches, a long Amtrak diesel, a Downeaster "cabbage car", and one of the T Commuter Rail Genset switchers.

Some of the commuters waiting for the inbound scheduled to leave at 7:44 were surprised by the unusual train.
Steve Wagner

Postby sery2831 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:55 pm

Moderator's Note: Discussion about the Grand Junction branch itself has been moved here. Let's keep this discussion about the current closure and the resulting train movements.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Re: Grand Junction DETOUR Discussion

Postby Red Wing » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:12 pm

To help with the repairs the DCR will be closing the Paul Dudley White Footbridge:

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/news/apr26traffic.pdf
Red Wing

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)