01800 Tracker

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby Robert Paniagua » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:41 am

Last Thu, 4/1/04, I got 01876 from Park Street till South Station. From there, I then took CR. Was a clear window, and ASA was fine. Last night (04/06), I got 01865 from Park Street till Braintree. Window had multi-ads, ASA was fine, and I got to see thorugh still wid my seat trick.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby fm535 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:43 pm

Interesting chain of events this morning as I waited to go to Braintree @JFK. A northbound Reddy pulled into JFK from Braintree. Suddenly I heard the announcement there was a door jammed in the 4th car. 01883 had its door stuck open, and they took quite a bit of time running back and forth trying to get that door to shut or lock, but to no avail. I was amazed how critical the timing in the morning is, because it virtually brought the entire Red Line to a standstill, as inspectors from the office at JFK, and all types tried to get the door to close and lock. In the 15 to 20 minutes it took for them to finally decide to empty that car and over-ride the unsafe condition, the southbound service never moved, and there was another northbound Reddy waiting on the Braintree side, much further down, near the Savin Hill curve as it approaches the commuter rail flyover trestles. The Ashmont northbound sat in the station as well, I figured, because there was one that had just left ahead of the Braintree Reddy that was stuck, and I am sure that would throw off Alewife timing, later!

It was just a big screw up, a big delay for business commuters, when it should have been a quick call to shut down that car, and move along. The PA announcements were made appropriately enough for the platform peeps waiting.
fm535

Postby Reddy Rocker » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:05 pm

I got #01821 in the front yesterday on my way home from UMass Boston. The window was clear, but someone was in The Seat. I had to stand in the area next to the seat instead.

ASA worked ok, but the guard talked over it upon entering Broadway.

AC and Heat, whichever, worked ok.
Karl "Reddy Rocker" Speth, the one and only.
Reddy Rocker

Postby Robert Paniagua » Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:18 pm

Well, after nearly a month of not getting the normal seat on a Braintree Station-bound 01800, I finally had such luck on Thu, Apr 29 off of 01849, even though window had both (ad and stretcher). ASA was fine, although Guard, as ordered by MBTA Management to do so, kept saying, "Please remember your bags and personal property. And please repourt any suspicious activity or unnatended packages to either a unifourmed MBTA employee or a police officer. Thank you for your cooperation". Also, HVAC was fine too. So that was that on the 01800s, I of course did had to half-kneel/half-stand to get the best view to defeat the ad and stretcher off 01849.
~Robert Paniagua
Robert Paniagua

Postby Robert Paniagua » Wed May 05, 2004 5:10 am

Ok everyone, I got more 01800 views again. This time from Park Street till Braintree from 01842, ASA was fine, window was free of blockages, and I got to see the driver a bit, although I saw these two playing-card type cards this engineer had on the "train display status" board, one of them had the number "4" in full card size, and the other one had an "M", I think, and an "A" below it, and an"W" below the "A" in that second "playing-card". I think he had probably a special code or something, I don't know, but it was kinda interesting. Plus he was also blowing the horn for fun, know what I'm sayin'? So, not a bad trip at all, considering the empty window, and I got that seat very early also, not at Quincy, but at South Station, so I was glad.
~Robert Paniagua
Robert Paniagua

Postby Reddy Rocker » Wed May 05, 2004 12:58 pm

Sounds great, while I've been stuck with 15/16/17 often...
Reddy Rocker

Postby Robert Paniagua » Thu May 06, 2004 7:02 am

Oh No, that must stink, hoepfully you'll get more 18's than Hawker-Pullman-St. Louis Car or UTDC consists. I've been lucky however, in fact I got one again last night. I got 01866 from Park Till Braintree, ad in window, ASA was fine, and evrything else was nice plus getting seat.
~Robert Paniagua
Robert Paniagua

Postby Robert Paniagua » Fri May 14, 2004 5:37 am

Ok, I'm glad that this board is back up again so that I'm able to put in my last 01800 rides.

First, on Tue, 05/11, I picked up 01820 from Park Street till Braintree, but I had to wait till the next to last stop to muster up the seat, otherwise it was taken by the same person from when I was able to reach it at Park Street, and was forced to ONLY have it for the last two-to-one stops, so a bit dissapointing, especially that there were no ads in window, just the fire extinguisher though. This was one of them still with the fire extingusher in the window. ASA was fine, and so was HVAC.

On Thu, 5/13/04, I got 01869 from Braintree inbount till DTC, although there were multiple ads in window, and ASA was still fine along with its HVAC. However enroute home I got M1 01509, so no 01800 on the way home.

But if I had gotten 01509 in April 1986 for example, the I could have filled you in with a head-end view report, regretfully, the MBTA wanted to place that ATO box there for nothing, really.

So that concludes my lates 01800 ride report, and I'll hoepfully get more next week.
~Robert Paniagua
Robert Paniagua

Postby octr202 » Fri May 14, 2004 10:02 am

Got a rare front left seat ride on 01815 this morning, but sadly only from Kendall to Central. Nice view, no ads, got to watch the cab signals flashing all over the place as we kept running into restrictive blocks in the wake of the previous train, which we were close on the heels of. now if only I was going all the way to Davis this time...
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby Robert Paniagua » Wed May 19, 2004 6:11 am

Ok, you got to see thru the window too, That's good. But I don't like those cab signals when they go slow. The only way 01800 motormen can circumvent those cab signals, would be to put that lever located outside the cab door to "bypass" which would be to "key-by", and then they can go at any speed they desire, up to 65 MPH. But they would require Central Command's Authorization before such circumvention can happen.

And as for me, I picked up 01866 last night (05/18) From Park Street till Braintree, got seat for the WHOLE LENGTH(yeah!), window had multi-ads, and did my seat trick as a result of those ads for the last leg of the trip. ASA was fine, and so was everything else.
~Robert Paniagua
Robert Paniagua

Postby CS » Mon May 24, 2004 6:18 pm

Finally got Reddy!

This afternoon at about 6:15, got 01865 and although there was an ad, I could lean to the back of the seat and see through - which I didn't do because I was tired. ASA wasn't working correctly as he only would say "next stop...." and nothing else. Got off at Fields Corner, currently under construction and exited through one of the new temp. collection areas on Dot Ave.
C. Sarjeant
"CS"
CS

Postby Robert Paniagua » Tue May 25, 2004 5:05 am

All right, that sounds good, but here's my ride, even though its a day late. On Mon, 05/24, I got 01836 with an ad in window, but took the right side seat. The curtain was open enough for me to see through though, so it was a win-win situation for me. The ASA was "out of whack", and HVAC was at its usual, so no other problems to report aside from the ASA.
~Robert Paniagua
Robert Paniagua

Postby Robert Paniagua » Sat May 29, 2004 8:06 am

A bit late but on Thu, 05/27 on the way home from work, I picked up 01806 from Park Street till Braintree. Window had an ad, no stretcher, ASA was fine, and HVAC was fine too. I did my seat stunt for the view out front though.
~Robert Paniagua
Robert Paniagua

Postby Robert Paniagua » Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:36 am

Two more, both in the AM commute:

Yesterday, 06/2: 01856 from Braintree in, ad in window, ASA was fine, and so was everything else in between.

This AM 06/3, Picked up 01803 , same thing as yesterday, no difference from yesterday.
~Robert Paniagua
Robert Paniagua

Postby Reddy Rocker » Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:37 am

I got 01832 last Friday, window had double ad. ASA worked ok.

But when I stood in the area next to The Seat, the motorman got up and told me to "sit down" right before the train entered Porter Square.

Another example of a surly employee ruining a railfan trip...
Reddy Rocker

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)