Green line bell signals

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Green line bell signals

Postby Plaidline » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:35 am

I've been told by a couple of people now that the bells on the green line trolleys when they come into the stations are supposed to be rung in a different pattern depending on what branch the train is so that people with visual impairments can identify which train it is. One of the people who told me this is an occupational therapist who does travel training for people with various disabilities, but who now works in the burbs and hasn't been on the green line in ages. This person didn't know what the specific patterns were supposed to be.

I've been listening and watching while riding the green line lately, and it doesn't seem that the operators actually do this. I've not even been able to figure out what rhythms are supposed to go with each train. I've mostly heard sets of two dings each and sets of three dings each, and then of course the furious dingdingdingdingdingding. They haven't seemed to match up with the letters of the trains though.

Is this an old convention, or is it just not followed, or are these people confusing it with something else? Anyone know?
Plaidline

Postby jrc520 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:53 am

I've never heard of that. Doesn't make sense. The old convention is that two bells means that the car is ready to go. One bell from the rear car is a request to go, or such(a hurry up if you will).
jrc520

Postby efin98 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:08 pm

The only bells I am aware of are the ones rung to warn passengers to get out of the way when the train is coming into the station...there are intra-train bells on the rapid transit lines that the conductors use to signal the train operators when they are ready to exit the station...perhaps your friend heard that?
efin98

Postby StevieC48 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:19 pm

I looked in SUBWAY OPERATIONS T RULES FOR OPERATORS AND OTHER EMPLOYEES OF THE LIGHT RAIL LINES SEPT.1.1997. couldnt find any bell signals except the 2 to go and 3 to back up and constant to warn persons on the ROW. No where in the section reguarding ADA bell signals when entering the stations. Stevie
Farewell old friend thanks for the memories.
#4 EBT cars Hawker Siddley 1978-2009

Instructor/Inspector SERY
Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

bells

Postby willfh » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:09 am

don't forget a long bell to stop and 4 bells to pick up the intercom
willfh

Postby Plaidline » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:09 pm

Ah, thanks, I didn't think it was likely that it was a policy and wasn't being followed. Maybe it was something they tried once, or whatnot. Thanks for looking that up, Stevie! And thanks for the info on signals, y'all...always fun trivia for this geek. :o)

It's interesting that the travel training agencies don't work very closely with the MBTA. And vice versa. Their websites don't contain links to one another, for instance. Most travel trainers aren't very knowledgeable about the MBTA, and the MBTA only knows to point people toward paratransit rather than toward services geared toward greater independence.

Stevie, just a comment for ya: Careful when you're using "ADA" when you really mean "accessibility" or similar. ADA refers to the federal law that gives very specific requirements for what is required in various public (and private, in some instances) accomodations. The ADA does not require that transit systems have auditory signals. The systems that choose to have auditory signals are doing this to increase the accessibility of their systems so that more people are able to use them, but it has nothing to do with the ADA.

Namaste,
eeka
Plaidline

Postby psychoandy » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:35 pm

StevieC48 wrote:I looked in SUBWAY OPERATIONS T RULES FOR OPERATORS AND OTHER EMPLOYEES OF THE LIGHT RAIL LINES SEPT.1.1997. couldnt find any bell signals except the 2 to go and 3 to back up and constant to warn persons on the ROW. No where in the section reguarding ADA bell signals when entering the stations. Stevie
Any way you can post that or link it somewhere? I'm interested in reading it, and I think i'm past the stage of sitting on the green line and being really really observant to take notice of how it works.
psychoandy

Postby StevieC48 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:48 am

Andy let me see if i can get you a copy of the manual. If not maby I can meet you somewhere and show you the copy. As far as I know there is no links to that specific manual of PDF.
Farewell old friend thanks for the memories.
#4 EBT cars Hawker Siddley 1978-2009

Instructor/Inspector SERY
Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

Postby Pete » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:23 pm

The visually impaired are supposed to be accommodated by announcements of the train's destination. Bells for this purpose aren't more helpful than "The destination of this car is X."
Pete

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)